Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

· Registered
467 Posts
Josh, while shooting crow is great sport, I would advise you not to eat them. As was described by a previous poster, davejames--a coupla days of marinating and rinsing may render them edible but they are hardly gourmet fare. In 6 decades of huntin' and fishin', one thing I've learned is that an animal or fish's diet for the most part determines how it tastes. I shot a large bear in Montana that was grazing for a coupla days on a hillside full of wild blueberries. It was there for 2 days that I know of--spotted it w/ a scope from across a canyon and it took another 1 1/2 days to get there and up close enough to shoot it. DAMN, if that bear didn't taste like a blueberry pie ! ! ! Not as strong but a recognizable blueberry flavor. Bluefish from New England waters have a strong fishy flavor because their main diet is Menhaden which are a very oily fish which are by themselves inedible and are hunted by Russian factory ships to be processed into fertilizer, etc. Bluefish must be cooked in a certain way to make them palatable. As a result of this phenomenon, I hardly think you will be delighted with the flavor of crow given it's diet. I'm sure many a family was glad to have crow on the table during the dustbowl or the great Depression days but fortunately we're not that desperate---YET ! ! ! My advice is to shoot as many crows as you want or are permitted to take, but buy yourself a tasty chicken to eat........

· Registered
29 Posts
The crow was put on the migratory species list back about 68 or so. We didn't care about them but to get protection for ducks of doves with Mexico we had to protect them. They don't have very sanitary conditions down there and the crow is their garbage disposal system!!!!! I've killed thousands of them and never put a dent in their population!!!!! There used to be a huge roost of them down in Missouri I believe and the locals made a living boarding and feeding the crow hunters that came down there for the shooting. They are also fun with a varmint rifle and can be very difficult to kill as they get very smart very fast. Now a days I kill them during season when I get them in while calling coyote. Try hunting them you may like it. Frank

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.