Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got through re-reading the thread Mr. Camp started on why people do not carry after they get their license, and it got me to thinking along another line.

I remember back some 10 or so years ago in Texas when people were lobbying for a CHL law that one of the arguments in favor of this law was that the crime rate in the state would be reduced. Does anyone have any statistics showing this turned out to be true, or not true?

What about the crime rate statistics in other states before and after the law in their state, and in CHL states vs. non CHL states?

Bert Kellar

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Keller,

I haven't read Dr. John Lott's book.

However, I usually and occasionally find short blurbs in the back of American Rifleman that suggest there is a correlation between CHL states and lowering crime rates.

But there are other elements to suggest that tougher sentencing legislation, improved LE funding and programs also contribute to lower crime rates, as well as, anti-crime education programs in schools, i.e. DARE education.

In our school district, we have a dedicated School Resource and Education Officer assigned to every 6 schools who goes and gives lectures and programs. We also have a County School Resource Police Officer assigned to each school "to keep the peace".

Chris

G

·
I have read Lott and Kleck. Both point out that in states with "shall issue" laws the crimes against persons does go down while the crimes against property goes up. Reason is that the criminal will not give up his "life of crime", it is easier than working for a living, but will switch to crimes that have a lower risk of gitting killed. Kleck's "Point Blank, Guns and crime in America" makes for some interesting reading, although it is a little dated now.

G

·
Pretty much every state with Right to carry laws has seen a drop in crime, but I think there is more too it than that. The type of government in power at the time such laws are passed (or antigun laws repaealed) Generally also adopts a tough on crime platform with more enforcement less parole more punishment less rehab. However with first hand knowledge in Norfolk/Portsmouth/Virginia Beach area robbing Pizza guys and car jackings along beach were pretty common until two Pizza robbers and one car jacker was shot and killed by armed civilians. One gun club was offering free lessons to anyone that showed up in a Pizza delivery uniform. Those two types of crimes completley disapeared over night. So my opinion it's a pretty good deterant.

G

·
I used to study psychology, and I can tell you that the reason that CCW lowers crime is that it introduces a form of punishment that has all of the aspects of effectiveness:

It is immediate.
It is consistent.
It is extremely unpleasant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts