Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen a Cougar 8000 by Stoeger? I have read two very favorable reviews touting them as great bargains. The retail for these is $320 and they hold 15 rounds of 9mm or 10 rounds of 40 S&W. This is the old Berreta design, it is now made in Turkey, and marketed in the US by Stoeger Industries a Berreta subsidiary. They sound like a good choice for car/house service. Regards, Richard

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ironically, I posted a little blurb on my forum, on this same subject, pic and all. "Cougar Pistols"

To sum up my feelings on the matter....

"Luckily, Stoeger has picked up the Cougar. I hope the quality is the same as the price is much less. That being the case, get one, they're a darn good gun."

·
Registered
898 Posts
Guess they just didn't catch on when Beretta brought them out; a little too much like their existing product line to find its own niche maybe.

C'mon Richard, you'd never be happy with this pistol as-is. We're talking fancy grips, famous maker holster, and triggernometry by Richard's pistolsmith. Double that $320 figure and he'd be set, but then the gun would be too nice to tote around!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I recall correctly, there was an article in a recent newstand gun magazine entitled, "The New Beretta Cougar." If so, then Beretta is making an upgraded version and has farmed out the manufacturing to or licensed a Turkish company to make the original. I do my magazine shop hit on Friday evenings, so will check again then.

If the item is of decent quality, for $320 it's a steal. There's some very high quality guns coming out of Turkey now. The shotguns I've seen from there are top-notch in fit and finish.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been shooting a Stoeger cougar 8000 9mm for three weeks and have nothing but praise. Excellent fit and finish, perfect reliability, and good accuracy all apply to this pistol. It far outclasses any other Turkey products that I've examined. I consider the piece to be better made than my AR-24, which shoots very well.

Dave Olhasso, noted Beretta pistol-smith, speaks well of the Stoeger 8000 but has pointed out that both sights are installed with a super tight fit. So tight, that is, that he will not work on or replace factory sights. On my pistol, this condition is evident. The front sight has two giant staking indentions. The rear sight appears to be a part that is too large pressed into a slot that is too small. But mine shoots dead on. When the folks at Stoeger have to work on these sights, they will be in for a real surprise.

The finish is some sort of baked on affair that is attractive. It is not the Beretta Bruniton.

I plan to buy another and have a pair. Price in central Texas was $375.

Williejc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts