Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I already told you about my future guns: I want to buy three handguns very soon. At first I wanted to buy a new 1911 (I already have a Norinco 1911 A1), a .357 revolver and a small .22lr pistol, probably a Beretta Bobcat.

But since I shot .357 for the first time, I decided to buy a least two revolvers. But which will be my third choice? Certainly a compact or subcompact pistol. But as the revolvers I want are less expensive than the 1911, I have more money for the third gun. So I can consider to take a larger caliber.

I'd like to know more about these guns:
- Beretta Tomcat .32 ACP
- FN/Beretta BDA .32 ACP
- Astra A-60 .380 ACP
- SIG P 230 .380 ACP
- Walther PPK .32 or .380 ACP
- Beretta 92 FSL compact 9mm.

Or do you have any othe suggestion?

Best regards!

Jonas

·
Registered
160 Posts
You can get a 9mm for about the same size as some of those .32's and .380's. Other than that go out and shoot a couple if you can and see what you think.

Something you might want to try that will save you some money but is no less a worthy caliber or gun is a Bulgarian Makarov or a surplus CZ82. in 9x18 Makarov.

G

·
Stay away from the Astra. Astra has been out of business for a number of years now and replacement parts may be difficult --- possibly impossible --- to obtain, now or in the future.

The handguns you list have a rather wide range of attributes, and which to buy will be largely depend on your preference.

I have 4 of the 6 handguns you list but I can't recommend one over the others --- what you should buy will depend on what your needs are and what you prefer. All of the handguns in your list are quality handguns. (I believe I've heard about some cracking at the barrel hinge on the Beretta Tomcat, but I would search some Beretta websites for more information on this.)

It's always best to shoot handguns before you buy them, if you have shooting ranges that rent what you are interested in. This usually isn't the case, and you should consider your needs and look over and handle the guns in the gun shop as much as you can. The handgun should feel good in your hand. Check the quality of the trigger pull. (Many gun shops get upset if you dry fire their guns --- always ask to do so first. If they balk at dry-firing the handgun once or twice, stick a piece of cardboard, the point of a plastic pen or some other small soft, benign object in front of the hammer so the hammer falls against it. You can test the trigger pull, and the hammer won't fall all the way and upset the gun shop people. Or bring a snap-cap with you in the proper caliber.)

For personal defense, a .380 ACP is much better than a .32 ACP. If personal defense isn't an issue, buy what's cheapest to shoot for you.

But, by all means, have fun researching and buying your new baby.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
jonas,

Your choice of a Beretta 92 Compact has me a bit confused. Your other choices are smaller in size and caliber, but the 92 Compact uses a double column 9mm with a 4.1" barrel (Think of a wide body Colt Commander).
I would recommend stepping up to a 9mm, but in a single column magazine or a compact with a double column magazine and superb ergonomics. The CZ PO1 comes to mind...

Wes

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm with Alan, it depends on your intended use and purpose.

If you were considering the Beretta Bobcat as a plinking pistol using cheap ammo, then I would rather have a target .22 like the Ruger MKII or MKIII.

The only pistol I have on your list is the Beretta Tomcat which I bought back when 32's were all the rage. It has gotton mixed reviews. If you want it as a pocket pistol you might want to consider the Kel Tek P32. I have both and I would use the Kel Tek for a pocket pistol.

There are a bunch of compact and subcompact pistols that merit consideration; so again, it depends on your purpose.

Sig, Glock, and Kahr all have nice pistols that I have experience with. Maks have already been mentioned and there are other brands that others can recommend.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Buy the smallest reliable 9mm you can afford. Many people say the 9mm doesn't do well as a defense cartridge, if this is even remotely so, then where does this leave 380's and 32's?
I'm looking to buy a Kahr, unless Kel-Tec gets their new PF-9 running.

G

·
I recently purchased a sub compact, concealable pistol. I bought a Para LDA Carry Model. Tiny, but it holds seven rounds of .45 ACP and will put five out of five in the "A" zone of an IPSC target at 50 yds.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Jonas,

As an aside, I have a light weight "thumper". The Glock 36 .45 ACP. The gun weight 21 oz. empty, carries seven rounds, and probably weight about 26 oz loaded.
Most of your caliber choices were small, but "big" is available, too!

Wes

·
Registered
354 Posts
I own a NAA .380 (Seecamp knockoff). It has proven reliable. I think I've carried it twice. I am more comfortable with a S&W 642 or Colt "Cobra" in my pocket, if I'm carrying a true "mouse gun".

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Jonas,

I notice that a couple of folks have mentioned Kahr pistols to you, and I do have personal experience with them. The only models I have owned are the K9 and the K40. Initially I bought a K9 and K40, and shot both about 1000 rounds each until I felt they were broken in for my purposes.

These are both steel framed pistols, DAO triggers, and the largest of their smaller pistols. I would say they are both roughly the size of most .380 pistols. Kahr makes at least one larger pistol, but I would say it is not really concealable in an ankle holster, which is what I was looking for at the time. While I am not generally a fan of DAO triggers, I will have to admit the K series has a surprisingly short letout to me. The first time I shot one, the round went bang about halfway through what I thought the trigger pull would require.

I was able to shoot all of their other smaller offerings at a local pistol shoot, including polymer framed very compact ones. They simply did not fit my hands well, and that was why I elected to go with the K series sized pistols. Plus I do prefer a steel frame on my pistols whenever possible. For me the K series are still small enough to conceal well in an ankle holster in the top of my boot. My current K40 is my backup pistol to my duty and off duty weapons.

I hear mixed opinions being offered on the Kahr pistols. Most of the complaints with reliability seem to be with the versions smaller than the K series. All I can offer to you in that of the 3 Ks I have owned all have functioned perfectly, giving me either 9mm or 40S&W firepower in something akin to a .380 pistol platform.

Unfortunately I let other LEOs talk me out of my first K9 and K40 pistols. When I decided I wanted another K40 to carry in an ankle holster again, I was surprised to see how much their cost had increased in basically two years. I don't know how common this brand may be in your country, but if available you might want to give them a look.

The only weapon I have had any personal experience with that is on your list is the Walther PPK. I liked the pistol, but simply decided I wanted to move up to a caliber a bit more poweful than the .380acp round.

Let us know what you end up buying and your thoughts on them, when you have the chance.

twoguns

·
Registered
720 Posts
og not smart like Geico cave man. :-[

so what's a 3913?? ???

can a cave man shoot it??

Google dumber than og, not found there either.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
OG,

Uggh sir. Smith & Wesson model 3913. A single row 9mm, 3rd generation pistol. It is bascially equivalent to the model 6906 except for the single row magazine.

I only know because I bought one for my ex when we were leaving GA to move to south FL and I wanted her to upgrade from a .380acp.

At least you and I seem to speak the same language anyway, lol.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello OG,

Here's a picture of the 3913 TSW from the Smith and Wesson website:

At the suggested retail of $916.00, I can't afford one right now.

Besides, now I own and shoot a SIG P-239.

Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts