Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch said something to the effect that, "Handguns are meant to be comforting, not comfortable" in the context of carrying for protection.

I was wondering what folks here thought about this.

In my own case, my orbits are tame and I go with the most comfortable handgun I can tote 24/7 that meets at least minimal personal requirements with regard to "power," capacitity, caliber, etc. On those rare occassions that I think I might be more at risk, I go with a gun that is more comforting than necessarily easy to carry.

Some of my friends carry comforting pistols 24/7 while others follow an approach similar to mine.

What are your thoughts and preferences on this?

Thanks in advance.

Best.

G

·
I subscribe to the axiom of "the .38 snubbie in your pocket is better than the Colt Government left at home." Within reason, of course. You'll never see me with a .22 or .32 caliber mousegun, that's for sure. The minimal wardrobe concessions to allow carriage of a .38 snubbie or .380 auto are really no impediment for me.

On the rare misfortunate days I travel to the city, I'll make further concessions as needed for a more effective CCW with backup ammo.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Comforting over comfortable is how I approach it.

Sure, the places I have reason to be around now, the need for a 1911 in 45 acp with 8+1 and 3 spares of 8 is really on the slim side, but I learned along time ago to not play the averages.

A snubby or pocket model auto would be a lot more comfortable to carry around at times, would allow me more latitude in my manner of dress, but, the confidence and comfort factor in a tried and true system, that has been proven, time and time again, has in my humble opinion, alot more value in the greater scheme of things, than a comfortable carry.

Add to it the ingrained response and training factors, that are involved in one system of carry with a specific weapon and the last thing one would want is a brain freeze, when the body is reacting to a situation and going to the places it has been trained to go in a time of stress and your weapon/gear isn't there.......

It comes down to a comfort factor and what we are willing to accept to attain it.

Regards, Mueller

G

·
I do carry smaller/less effective pistols at times. Depending on plans or just mood I'm not always up to dealing with 2+lbs of steel strapped to my right hip. I pretty much always can deal with a makarov or my 3" xd. Ammo loadout is similar between them as I always carry atleast 1 spare mag.

I do always carry in the same location with equal to similar operating systems.

Now, if I only had one suitable carry gun I'd try to carry always. But as I do have options...

Steelheart

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well, I tend to go along with Clint, I do have to travel and work in areas,that a damn mini gun would feel good having, at work its a 229 on the hip, Khar in the front pants pocket and a Kel-tec or a secamp on the vest.

Once your carry piece becomes to easy to carry or comfortable, most start to carry less, I feel better carring one that is always letting me know its there

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
P32 almost everywhere. HiPower or Mak when I go "over the border." Extra mags when possible and practical. My plan has holes and isn't perfect, but I bet it matches most carriers.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

My preferences are for a everyday choice of weapon that is "comfortable and concealable".

My work and area where I live generally put me in very low threat environment and I am generally more apt to drop the Beretta 21 A in my front pocket when heading out to pick something up late at night as opposed to strapping on the Glock, Colt or High Power.

While I may be "under-gunned", I am nevertheless prepared. I am often times more than not, more concerned about accidently flashing a pistol and alarming a non-CWP holder and inviting an embarrassing encounter with the local public safety officers.

I also follow the precept of self defense that embodies the notion "the best way to stay out of trouble is to avoid trouble".

Now, while traveling to the big city and to places unknown, that's a whole another story....

G

·
I also follow the precept of self defense that embodies the notion "the best way to stay out of trouble is to avoid trouble".
This is excellent advice and, IMO, a wiser course of action than attending any three defensive shooting courses and investing in a custom CCW. Personal examples include:

• I haven't stepped foot into a bar since the day I received my first permit 17 years ago.

I don't go to late-night movies anymore. (Going to a matinee on Saturday saves a couple of bucks besides)

I park as close to the storefront as possible, always under a light whenever available at night.

I avoid the city like the plague.

I'm certain we all have variations on this theme, but you get the picture.

G

·
If I leave my house I am armed with a handgun. I do not agree that they can not be carried comfortably. I find my carry styles to be very comfortable.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello,

I guess you could say that I fall some where in the middle, i.e. I usually carry a S&W Model 649 BodyGuard or a High Power... what I'm getting at is, I actually find the High Power more comfortable & comforting to carry than the somewhat comfortable S&W J-Frame.

I've carried nearly all my life, and I have in the last 5yrs. come to really have alot of distrust in all the pocket guns that were comfortable for me to carry, simply because of their calibers. I'm not saying that they don't fill a nich or are no-good... they are alot better than a pocket knife, I just don't feel secure with anyless than a 9mm or a .38, I guess I've just seen way to many mean & crazy people in this old world... plus, I've spent alot of money looking for that "perfect" carry gun, only to realize that such a thing doesn't exist...

Take Care,
THE SOCKMAN

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I agree with Legacy on this. Almost any gun can be comfortable provided that the carry system is appropriate to the gun and the carrier.

I've carry a BHP everyday by my choice. I have carried smaller guns such as a Colt Detective Special or a Walther PP, but that was what was, as they say, " on the menu".

JonnyC, by "across the border" do you mean across the river to the East of you or what?

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Comforting.

I dress around a full-sized 9mm and spare mag giving me 30 rounds of insurance. If I need those 30 rounds I'm probably in deep, but it's comforting and I might at least have a chance to hold off whatever threat comes my way until the calvary arrives.

In addition I am a big believer in knives. They are generally frowned upon because of litigation purposes, but in extremely close combat it would be a tossup between a good knife and a good backup pistol. Being trained in the use of knives and close quarter combat, I believe it might be more beneficial to my health if I were to gut the attacker. I carry a Spyderco folder constantly, and if my gut tells me to, I strap on a Cold Steel Master Hunter. Both are good blades, and with my looks I simply look like most other woodsmen around here.

I do need to begin carrying OC and a backup also- used to and got lazy about it.

Overall, when dressed to my preferance, my belt looks almost like a duty officer's belt.

I don't believe in overkill, and carry a comforting handgun that also happens to be comfortable (for seven years now).

Josh <><

G

·
Comforting.

I dress around a full-sized 9mm and spare mag giving me 30 rounds of insurance. If I need those 30 rounds I'm probably in deep, but it's comforting and I might at least have a chance to hold off whatever threat comes my way until the calvary arrives.

In addition I am a big believer in knives. They are generally frowned upon because of litigation purposes, but in extremely close combat it would be a tossup between a good knife and a good backup pistol. Being trained in the use of knives and close quarter combat, I believe it might be more beneficial to my health if I were to gut the attacker. I carry a Spyderco folder constantly, and if my gut tells me to, I strap on a Cold Steel Master Hunter. Both are good blades, and with my looks I simply look like most other woodsmen around here.

I do need to begin carrying OC and a backup also- used to and got lazy about it.

Overall, when dressed to my preferance, my belt looks almost like a duty officer's belt.

I don't believe in overkill, and carry a comforting handgun that also happens to be comfortable (for seven years now).

Josh <><
I carry OC foam on the job. I think that lots of people misunderstand OC. It is good when used in "surprise" fashion on someone that is mouthing off and threatening. It does not work on people that are already attacking, and it doesn't work istantly.

If you use it on someone that is already attacking, you may as well spray yourself with it as well because it is going to get all over you in the fight.

I try to tell new officers this. Use it on the guy that is mouthy so that you can prevent a fight. DO NOT use it someone that a fight is either on going with or a certainty.

I joined in a fight with a very large drunk guy one night. I was the fourth man in. The second man in sprayed the guy and ended up getting all of us. I ran into the cloud of the stuff and was gotten before I even was actually in the dawg pile, During the fight, I got it all over me and ended up having to get a new watch. The perp was never bothered by it until the fight was over and we had him in cuffs. Then he was a whiney twerp that we had to deal with. Thankfully a water hose was nearby and I hosed everyone down with it.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
legacy38,

I can't disagree with a word you said.

I was an Explorer with the local Sheriff's Dept. and was sprayed with it.

It took about 3 seconds for it to take effect... and then it hurt. I could have still fought, but it would have been painful.

I find other uses for it- get away for one. Hit the ground with it (providing the wind is in the right direction) and run. A charging person would force injury upon himself.

(I was told that it may have to be sprayed in an enclosed squad car to subdue a suspect. I was thinking that such an action would be nuts.)

Josh <><

G

·
The one time that I have seen it used to good effect was when two of our officers went into a dorm bathroom to get a drunk underage guy that was going nuts. He got into one of the shower stalls and dared them to come in their in get him. The senior officer on scene calmly gave the perp an OC shower. After that he was more than happy to comply.

In every other instance the officers got it as bad as the perp.

I do think that it would be effective on menacing animals provided they are not already after you.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hi Abninftr,
What I meant by "over the border" was simply leaving my comfortable little township. You know, you know many of the people, the cars, the stores...the "known."
By the way, my current "over the river to the East"... New Jersey! Much different than my earlier life, although possibly more dangerous!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I don't want this to sound like a pronouncement for I truly do beleive that any gun is better than no gun (there are probably some exceptions that prove the rule).

However, I never leave the house without at least two handguns on and I don't recall more that two times in the last 20 years that one of those hasn't been a .45 auto. Today my normal carry is two 1911s and a third gun for a "hideout".

I live in a great place but lethal attack can come to you anywhere...several years ago I came close to having to shoot a beserk man armed with a knife at the little genearal store 2 miles from my rural home...in fact that night the guy who was with him did kill him in self defense.

One of the first incidents after enactment of the CCDW law hear was a guy who interupted a bank robbery with one of those N.A. mini revolvers. The hit was ineffective but the guy did eventually seek medical attention for a hit in the throat and they nabbed him. The citizen was on one of our email lists and said he would never ever again be caught without his .45!

Onward and upward,
Jim

G

·
If I'm awake I have a gun on. Almost always a 3" GP-100 with an SP101 in my pocket. Everybodies different, and while I've heard a lot of people complain about this gun or that one being too heavy to carry, I've never been uncomfortable carrying a ful-size gun.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello. A member of this very board accidentally (I think) pepper sprayed me (Well, I walked through the residual of it after he'd sprayed a fighting drunk in the department sally port) and it was a bit unpleasant, not so bad as a direct hit, but not fun.

We are sort of drifting from the original topic of handguns that are comfortable vs comforting.

Best.

G

·
Although I've had a concealed carry permit for 15 years and on average shoot about 100 rounds a week, I actually don't carry concealed all that often. When I do, I unfailingly carry my customized stainless Officers Model with 8 rounds of 230 gr. Golden Saber and an extra Wilson 7 round mag with the same load. It's a little heavy but conceals well , packs a punch , is fairly comfortable and definitely comforting!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts