Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Am I the only one who wishes these would be brought back by some company? I figure the Lightening could handle the .38spl and the Thunderer in .44spl.

I know some company or other has SA only versions out but for those who aren't collectors, or those who don't want want to shoot their collectables, I think the full DA versions in modern calibers would be a good alternative.

Anyone else have these on their wish lists?

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
If CASS shooting keeps increasing in popularity, someone might just do as you ask. If it happens, though, someone had best reengineer the bolt spring. The bolt (cylinder stop) is the weakest link in those guns. A friend used to collect and shoot them, and he kept a box full of extras, as the springs would weaken or break with depressing regularity.

Many moons ago I owned a near mint S&W New Model #3 American in caliber .44 Russian. I was young and foolish at the time, so I got hard up for cash and sold it for what I had in it. But I never forgot it, so when S&W brought out their new Performance Center Schofield, I figured I had to have one. Got period correct leather for it, too.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Josh, if you ever buy one of the originals, someone in the SASS monthly (Cowboy Chronicle) advertises a set of replacement springs for those old Colt DAs. From what I've seen that would be a good investment.

There are a few matches where they have a side event called "Frontier Doble Action" (not to be confused with "Pocket Pistol", where the old breaktop 32 and 38 S&W guns are used) for those guns, but I don't know if there will ever be enough interest to remake the original Lightning and Thunderer models.

When I shot Frontier Double Action they'd also let us use the Webleys in .455, .45 acp (no moon clips, that's cheatin'!) or .38 S&W. Usually managed to beat the guys with the old Colts, sometimes due to sudden breakage right there on the firing line! That sort of told me what I needed to know about their durability.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow...good post here.
I seen anold Colt Lightning at the last show. The old fella wanted $525 for it. I said hey that wouldbe aneat treasure to have at a CAS/SASS shoot. He said naw you wouldnt want to shoot that one cause the weak springs. now I read they got the replacement springs for such.
I forget if it was chambered in .38 spcl or .38 colt.
it was over all about 50-60% bluing and no cracked grips. No one bought it, atleast I was there for a dayand ahalf shoping for two SS Revolvers as I desire to get back into such and maybe even try the SASS myself.
Interesting piece the Colt was.
I wound up Getting a clone, a Cimmaron Arms(Uberti) Lightning in .38spcl,3.5" barrel NIB for $375 otd.
Still the old Colt would have been nice to have had and to find the age of it as well.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking something along the lines of a Cimmaron Arms clone with redesigned (coil) springs would be just about right.

As it stands these revolvers, the originals, were meant to be fired DA in an "emergency" situation. They were to be thumb cocked thereafter.

There is a story of a little business man and a large gunfighter (I forget the names at this point) who disagreed. Gunfighter vowed vengence on little man. Little man had a gun pocket sewn into his coat and bought a Colt Lightening to fit it. He threw his jacket on and went about his business.

The day came when BG came after LBM. They both drew and LBM got off three shots, killing BG. It seems what happened was shot #1 took off BG's right thumb and he couldn't cock is SA. As he tried a border shift shots #2 and #3 took him in his chest and left shoulder.

Seems that particular area (I wanna say someplace in AZ but that's probably wrong) is still saturated with them to this day.

The Lightening was also Billy the Kid's pistol of choice.

While these don't have the tradition the SAA does they still have a small but loyal following. While I don't think the gunmakers would get much richer off of these alone I do think they would make a good chunk of change.

Thanks again,

Josh <><

1 - 5 of 5 Posts