Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
"QUOTE"If you know at which time such changes took part in serial numbers for a specific model ( = PP always ok, Mk III Series bad, Mk V little better than III, or whan changed the mainspring in the Dick Spec from blade spring to coil spring ), so please let me know!"QUOTE"

Don't know anyone who didn't like a MKIII

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
arminius, I bought two new Colts Python in 1977. One was used for PPC competition and the other for daily uniform carry. They were blue and not cheap but they were as nice as any Python I ever have seen. Mine originally had the accro rear sights but I soon switched them both to the Elliasons. They had the original Colt double action leaf spring action rather than the Mark III or V coil spring stuff. After good action jobs, they were smooth as any of my S&Ws but they did have a two stage sort of trigger. Later I added a 2.5" Diamondback to my collection for use as an off duty gun. I was considered a dangerous radical by my range master. The big snakes were a joy to shoot with 357 magnums unlike the S&W Model 19s and 66s. Nice guns.

·
Registered
213 Posts
There were, I believe, three runs of the gun made. Most people say the 1st generation were the best, assembled soup to nuts by a single fitter in the custom shop. They were carbon steel, Royal Blue, and if the fitter didn't like the finish, they were sent back to be nickeled. Stainless was introduced in the 2nd generation. I personally would steer clear of 2nd or 3rd, but a 1st in blue, 99% condition, costs about $1800. Worth the money, IMHO.

List of serial numbers by year of manufacture available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Python

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There were, I believe, three runs of the gun made. Most people say the 1st generation were the best, assembled soup to nuts by a single fitter in the custom shop. They were carbon steel, Royal Blue, and if the fitter didn't like the finish, they were sent back to be nickeled. Stainless was introduced in the 2nd generation. I personally would steer clear of 2nd or 3rd, but a 1st in blue, 99% condition, costs about $1800. Worth the money, IMHO.

List of serial numbers by year of manufacture available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Python
THANKS!!!

A lot of info at that Board!!

Thanks again to all!

Hermann

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have a 1978 model Python and I don't known how you could make it any better. Trigger is smooth as hot butter and breaks like glass. It is way more accurate than I am. I would say in the 30yrs I have owned it, it has 20,000rds or more through it. I wouldn't take any amount of money for it.

Best,Baldy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts