Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Colt New Service is my favorite Colt double action revolver. I woke my two examples up this morning before the sun got too high and tried some photos, hoping to avoid glare. They're still wearing their RIG coats.

The Model 1909 (top) was obtained from the original owner who's father gave it to him in 1920. It was one of five purchased from the San Antonio Arsenal. The other four were used to equip nightwatchmen for an ice house and ice cream plant that my friend's father ran in San Antonio. The five revolvers cost $5.00 each and a 500 round supply of Frankfort Arsenal .45 ammunition was purchased for an additional $5.00.

The Model 1917 (bottom) was a gun show purchase from the early 1980's. I've always intended to upgrade it but have become sentimental about it. I've shot it more than any other Colt revolver I've owned. It's a good old shooter with perfect mechanics. Now the really nice ones bring big money and I've not seen any spare big money lying around the house lately for a lot of firearms purchases.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Nice looking New Service revolvers,

The first NS I bought back in 1971 was a Model 1909 with all original numbered parts including the grips. The dealer had it marked as a M1917 for only $60.00. I decided that if he didn't know the difference between a M1909 and '17, that was his problem. Nice old revolver except for the awful DA trigger pull. Ended up trading it for something that is since long gone.

A few years ago I acquired at modest cost a 1917 dated NS chambered for the .455 Eley. This piece had the hard rubber factory grips with the serial number scratched on the inside of one of them. This revolver had Canadian gov't property marks and almost certainly had been to war at sometime in its existence. Like the 1909, it had a heavy DA trigger that made DA shooting with the Fiocchi .455 factory load almost impossible. Earlier this year I sold it to a collector of WW One weapons.

So now I am without a New Service in the safe. I was recently offered a minty M1917 with the US Property markings. This piece was what I call "rough finish" even though it was like new. I decided that the $1000 asking price was too much even though it might be worth it.

Roadster

·
Registered
321 Posts
Very nice guns - it is great that you know the history. For me, that is much of the fun of the older guns. Thanks for sharing the Colts.

PGM

G

·
Very nice. I love the CNS. I have a 1917, a .455 Eley converted to .45 Colt and an original .45 Colt. I would love a .44-40 or .38-40 but have not found one at the same time I had the money that could be committed to it.

G

·
Very nice!
One of the items on my wish list is a good New Service in .45 Colt. Alas, everytime I stumble across one its out of my price range. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts