Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yep a D.S. 3 inch !! stanless steel , bought it on gunbroker today !! like NIB, 98 percent mint ! the guy said he bought it for his wife she fired it 18 times and put it back in the box it was too much for her too handly ? this gun has the box and all paper work with it !! ok guys what do i have here ? i paid 360.00 for it shipped too me !! am i ok ? or did i get riped off ? tell me some history behind this gun if you know any >?
jonboy

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I've never seen a 3" Detective Special, and I've never seen a stainless one either, so it's doubly interesting. Are you sure it's not nickel?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Well, you did very well.

I've only seen one of these, NIB for $495 at a gun show in the autumn of '03. I didn't buy it, and I've regretted passing on it ever since (I'm a big fan of D-frames and 3" tubes, not to mention rare Colts! :) ).

R.M. Vivas, a S&W and Colt dealer and collector of some note, told me that he's only seen two 3" DSs (but he collects the older ones).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have one of those too. mine is a DSII stainless 3". It is a pretty good piece, with a full underlug barrel. There are really only 2 things about it I don't like:

1: It has a recessed and very sharp crown (almost like a varmint rifle) whic is somewhat difficult to clean

2: the trigger face is very square.

The only holster I have found to fit it is a ruger SP101 holster which I reboned to fit the weapon (I am not a master holster maker, so it looks kinda funny, but works OK).

Good luck with it, Colt only made them for a year or so so they are reasonably scarce (although I don't know the number made or the value, I just shoot it ocassionally)

·
Registered
898 Posts
My dad had one of the older blue 3" DS's some years ago. He usually keeps what he buys, but this was back when Ohio had no CCW law on the horizon, so he didn't get much use out of the gun. He had both 2" and 4" .38/.357s so it didn't get taken to the range much.

Before he swapped it off, I told him to think twice, as the three inchers don't show up for sale every day. Of course he's suffered more than a little seller's remorse since then, and it's all I can do not to snicker if that topic comes up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mine is also like yours car, its a d.s.11 just like new with all the paper work and yes it is stanless steel in the 3 inch i have never seen one thats way i bought this one !!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Erich, you aren't supposed to mention that name. ;)

There are already too many of us checking his sight daily. We don't need more competition!

PS: I picked up a blued 4" Police Positive Mark V with full underlugged barrel ( like a Diamondback ) a couple months back - never even heard of it before.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Whoops! ;)

Sounds like a neat gun. I never knew such a thing existed, either. I like the Police Positives a lot (never should have traded mine), and the full underlug would make it look pretty slick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts