Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At my local gunshop they have a nice (looks new through the glass) a Colt Det Spl with a Cobra barrel. Is this a factory set-up, or was it done after the fact. Also there is a beautiful stainless Det Spl that also looks new. Both are $600 (each)
Any thoughts, or knowledge
Thanks

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Sir,

Finding a Colt Detective Special in any condition and variation is a rare find in the world of handgun shooting/collecting in my market/location. Many gunmaker's have been known to mix parts in the pursuit of profits to make up as many units as possible for sale.

Since I cannot answer your question directly, I would get in touch with the Colt Collector's Association and see if this is a rare/common variation/or even aftermarket.

Regardless, you've found two very sought after revolvers and I hope they find there way to you.

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hello Florida,

If I do understand you well, it is a DS frame (steel) with a "Cobra" marked barrel, the original Cobra being alu framed? I've read about these combinations on the Colt Forum and they seem to be original. A letter would confirm...

Nice find, anyway.

L.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, going to go back and look at it today, they actually have 3 small colts. As I was not extremely interested I did not pay great attention to them but, It was definitely a steel frame with a Cobra barrel. $600.
#2 was a like new stainless or chrome (I do know they had their own terminology for that finish) also like new for $600.
Then they had a vg+ det spl (BLUE) $450.
Finally a ladysmith never fired, chrome w/ box for $600. (prelock)
They sold a 642 for me on consignment, but the gentlemen will be picking it up next week, so I was planning to use that towards something else.
It's nice to have all these options. My only thought though is if the store is selling them for these prices they are probably not great deals. I am definitely not a collector and do not love these guns. I do like wheelguns though. Truth be told I would take a new 2/1.5 smith 686 over any of these if the price were the same.
Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Larry,

Thanks for supplying that tidbit of information. I was definately unsure of the answer, but the same scenerio happened with the "pinto" revolvers of S&W fame.

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I am not too sure about this and it may just be a story but I was told that there was a period of time when Colts was in trouble and they simply cobbled together guns from the parts they had on hand. As the DS, Cobra and Agent were I belive all built on the same size frame, the barrel should only make it an interesting variant. Should not shoot better or worse. The other thing is that the old Colts factory was a real Victorian throw back and some one just got a barrel from the wrong roll marked bin. Sort of cool tho!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Anyway, these D-frame ponys are nice. I shot my DS sunday (a post-1972 with smooth wood grips) and it's pure fun: not punishing at all. The long ramped front sight is just difficult to catch, it reflects like a mirror...

I bought mine for 400 francs ($ 330), and it was considered a deal on the forum. Wheelguns are not appreciated here anymore, out of Pythons, maybe.

Bye.

L.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have one o the Colt Cobra 3 gen. revolvers. Early 70's with the checkered wood grips and the full lenght ejector shroud. Aluminum frame and very light. I put a set of Pach's on and saved the wood grips for later. It is the only Colt I own and it was a gift from a retired Chicago Fireman. Shoots very good and I have found the correct period holsters for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts