Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the TMC channel tonight they showed the classic Humphrey Bogart movie, Treasure of the Sierra Madre. The principal actors carried Colt DA revolvers (for use against Mexican bandits --- and each other, as it turned out.). Being an action/adventure flick there was lots of gunplay, the revolvers were drawn and used a lot and you could get some really good looks at them. There looked to be two Colt Army Special/Official Police revolvers (Same handgun. Colt changed the name from the former to the latter in 1928 for marketing reasons.) in .38 and maybe a New Service in a .44 or .45 caliber. Couldn't get as good a look at this last one, but they were all Colts. The movie was filmed in 1948 and its setting was in that period.

Sometimes the firearms used in a flick go a long way in making it interesting, if they are correct.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I watched and enjoyed the same movie. I liked the part when they beat the poop out of the dead beat boss. I noticed they showed at least one reloading sequince in the gun fight on the train unlike many older westerns where the guns shoot forever. My understanding was that the story took place in the 1920s when the novel was written.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
nevadaalan,

It is a great flick. I did not watch it because I have it on dvd. Like you I really enjoy seeing the correct weapons being handled properly.

As a LEO I have always counted my round, and instinctively do it while watching a movie. I roll my eyes when a 6 shot revolvers fires 7 or 8 times, or the 15 round pistols goes bang 20+ times before the slide locks to the rear.

My biggest pet peeve is how poorly researched some movies appear to be. A classic example is a movie based either during the Civil War or immediately after (still in the 1860s), and everyone is carrying 1873 Single Action Army Colts, which of course had not yet been invented.

So I do appreciate a movie where they make a serious attempt to be realistic with the weapons being used.

twoguns

·
Registered
321 Posts
Nevadaalan,

One famous example has to be Michael Corleone and an early Detective Special in The Godfather during the Italian restaurant scene.

PGM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My understanding was that the story took place in the 1920s when the novel was written.
That could very well be. I missed the first part of the movie (I got in when Bogart was getting the job to build the derrick or whatever in Tampico) and didn't get a look at any period motor vehicles. There certainly weren't any where they were after that.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Watched LA Confidential the other night.....Dick Specials and Ithaca 37's. Was cool.

I recall one otherwise excellent movie about WWII India, that had the actual participants from both sides as tech advisors, , and they still screwed up. A WWII Brit agent carrying a S&W Bodyguard. Duh.

Regards,

Pat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts