Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts about Colt D-Frames? Particularly the all steel Detective Specials? Do you feel they're too heavy for pocket carry? How about the trigger pulls and robustness of the design? Does anyone carry one everyday?

I've been interested in Snubby .38s for awhile, but the ubiquitous choice is the S&W Chief's Special in a variety of formations. The D-Frame Colt Detective Specials, Cobras, Agents, and Commandos seem to be overlooked as possible pocket carry pieces. Particularly, when one considers that a used Detective Special runs into the same price as used Chief's Special.

Let us know your thoughts.

-Rob

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hiya Rob,

I have a Dick Special, plus a couple other non-snub D frames. They are indeed much heavier and somewhat larger than an Airweight J frame. The alloy D frames are lighter, of course.

I use mine mostly for a house/car gun, or to stick in a coat pocket when out for a ramble in the woods and I might want to fire single-action. (Have a square-butt S&W 37 that fits that role but its been apart on the dining table for a couple years. Need to get on that.)

For regular carry I prefer a Centennial.

Trigger is ....ummm.... different from those on Smiths. Neither better or worse; just depends on which you're used to.

Grip frame is likewise different from S&W so the 'feel' is different.

Colts tend to lock up tight and stay that way.

Couple of downsides: Holsters are harder to find off-the-shelf. You'll prolly have to order one. HKS makes speedloaders and they're everywhere. Safariland makes a Comp I and will likely need to be ordered also.

Grips also the same deal....prolly available but need to be ordered. Best thing I found (for me) with the DS was the factory wood grips with a Tyler grip adapter. Plus it looks like an old-time cop gun. :)

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
321 Posts
Rob,

Count me as a fan of the DS. In my view, they are slightly larger and heavier than the Smith J frames, but in return you get an extra round, and from my perspective, a small gun which handles more like a service revolver than a pocket gun. On the downside, they are a bit large/heavy for pocket carry, and as Pat says above, aftermarket accesories are harder to find than for the J frames.

G

·
I have seen several of these for sale on Gunbroker in .32 Colt New Police (A.K.A. .32 S&W Long.) These would seem to be a very accurate revolver (given the .32 Long's reputation.)

How would these hold up under modern, heavy .32 Long loadings?

Any thoughts? Opinions?

Scott

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
RandomMan,

I had a 1976 Colt Agent (15 oz. alloy frame, before the parkerizing, still with the bluing but with the barrel shroud, rated for +P) with a factory hammer shroud that was probably the best pocket revolver I've owned. It carried like a J-frame, but had that extra round.

I actually sold it on consignment yesterday. I have a Rohrbaugh R9s, and I just didn't need the Colt anymore. FWIW, it didn't last the day in the shop.

cheers, erich

Edited: the DA trigger pull was fine, but not on par with the leaf-springed S&W DAs. SA pull was fine, but a teensy bit spongy. Essentially, trigger pull was fine.

Robustness. Hmm. I felt fine carrying this gun with +P ammo, but I have to admit that I considered it to be more "delicate" than my J-frames and just didn't shoot it much at all. I was always secure that it would have gone off six times had I pulled the trigger six times, though.

G

·
What are your thoughts about Colt D-Frames? Particularly the all steel Detective Specials? Do you feel they're too heavy for pocket carry? How about the trigger pulls and robustness of the design? Does anyone carry one everyday?

I've been interested in Snubby .38s for awhile, but the ubiquitous choice is the S&W Chief's Special in a variety of formations. The D-Frame Colt Detective Specials, Cobras, Agents, and Commandos seem to be overlooked as possible pocket carry pieces. Particularly, when one considers that a used Detective Special runs into the same price as used Chief's Special.

Let us know your thoughts.

-Rob
I love my Colt Detective Special. It's my "house revolver" stashed in the kitchen where my bride of 38 years can instantly get to it should a bad person, or someone I owe money to stops by unannounced..

The best all around snubby in my experience however is the 638 S/W J-frame bodyguard. My 638 has Crimson Trace Lasergrips on it, and it is a fantastic little firearm.

Light, accurate, great da trigger.. I kept wanting to carry my Centennial just because it is unusual, or the Colt DS because it's pretty and classy, but when all's said and done the AirWeight S/W 638 is the pick of the litter.

I've also got a couple of the early series (exposed ejector rod) Cobra's, but even they aren't my preference over the S/W 638.

Just my old fart opinion. I do think everybody needs at least one Colt snubby tho..

G

·
Since the airweight centennials were reincarnated I haven't carried my D frames. I prefer the older, skinny barrel version. I love the quality feel of the older snub Colts. They are great "hidden" house guns. One of my goals is to have one in every room .... please don't tell the wife ::)

They are fun to shoot also.

G

·
I've got the new model DS in nickle. You can get a Bianchi IWB Model 100 Professional for it. It's a very comfortable holster for all day carry. I believe I ordered it online at Bratemans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts