Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a trip to FL, while in Panama City earlier this week, I was running my traps, [pawn shops and such] and came upon a Colt Commando SN 76xx, from what I have been able to find out this a mid to late '42. Finish is in Ex condition, I'd say 97% and the bore is bright and shinny with strong lands and grooves, lock up is tight, grips are correct era and in VG + condition. The owner of the pawn shop said it had been sitting for at least 6 mos. The price tag read $349, said he would take $300 + tax and call-in, so it was $329 OTD. It has the flaming bomb on the left side of the frame between the cylinder and hammer, on left side of the 4" bbl it has Colt Commando over .38 Special and on top of the bbl it has the usual Colt pat dates and such, it doesn't have US Property on the top strap, but I am told that the early Commando's didn't have that plus they didn't have the GHD inspectors stamped near where the flaming bomb is located. It could still have been a DSC [Defense Supply Corp.] Commando. I did find a SN next to it that was sold to a NYC-PD officer in '43. The Colt Commando is a "D" frame Colt Official Police model and came in two bbl lengths 2" [rare] and 4" and only around 50,000 were made.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. Very nice! I have not seen one of those in years! That one's in plenty fine shape and should make a heck of a good shooter for you.

Best.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Great find there Papabear. That's a real good looking Commando. I know it's in the right place now. Take care and enjoy it and if do shoot it please let us hear about it. Good shooting.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yea for you Papabear! That revolver will fill a hole in a Colt collection or a military collection. They are pretty pricey at the Dallas-Fort Worth gun shows when one can find them. Your photo is very clear and your revolver looks particularly fine. Thanks for posting it. I'd rather look at the classic stuff than the new stuff any time. I've got a Commando and it is very accurate. It's a lot of fun on the range. It's funny but the wartime Colt Commando and Smith & Wesson "Victory" model that are in my collection have the smoothest actions of all other Colt and Smith & Wesson revolvers that I have. They may look "crusty" on the outside but they were well-finished on the inside.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bmcgilvray,

Couldn't agree with you more, I love the old stuff, haven't got to shoot the Colt yet, but will soon, I'll post had it performed. Both of my Victory models, are smooth as glass and shoot POA, I just hope the Colt is as good. I have a 1944 Official Police and it is a fine shooter, so I suspect the Commando will be the same.

Papabear

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi bmcgilvray,

Actually all my classics are my favorites, wish I had more, for me the saying "so many guns, so little money" applies to me. Here is what I have but not necessarily in this order except for #1 These are just my classic handguns

[1] Remington Rand Gov Model 1943

[2] S&W Victory 4" 1942 .38 special

[3] S&W Victory 5" Lend Lease [British] 1942 .38 S&W [.38/200]

[4] S&W Model 1917 .45acp 1918

[5] Colt Model 1917 .45acp 1918

[6] Colt Official Police .38 special 1944

[7] Colt Commando 4" .38 special 1942

[8] 5th Model Safety Hammerless [Lemon Squeezer] .38 S&W

[9] Nagant M1895 1916 7.62x38r [Peter the Great Arsenal]

I'll post a range report on the Commando.

Papabear

·
Registered
361 Posts
You have good tastes in the classics. I've got examples of 1,2,4,5,6 and 7. I'd enjoy owning examples of the others. I notice that the Nagant is Czarist era. Ads interest to me.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You have good tastes in the classics. I've got examples of 1,2,4,5,6 and 7. I'd enjoy owning examples of the others. I notice that the Nagant is Czarist era. Ads interest to me.
bmcgilvray,

Here are a couple pics of the Nagant M95 1916. I have had it for a couple years, bought it at a show in Florida and picked up 400 rds of Nampoh 7.62x38r ammo, 40 rd box's, 200 rds each of the white box and yellow box for $285, it's fun to shoot, I have only put half a box of the white and a half box of the yellow through it, don't plan on shooting it too much.

Papabear

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos of the Nagant. It's nifty-neato. Looks to be better finished than later Soviet renditions. It's probably like a Webley, very comfortable to grip. Is the DA pull decent? I'm wondering since it has the gas-seal feature.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Papabear you have some great old guns. Please keep checking your traps and posting as I love them old ones. Good hunting.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I kept telling folks for years that Colt D-frames were selling way under what they should be. Well no more. My favorite gunshop got in around 30 old Colt revolvers. Many of them D-frames.

The average price was $450 and half of them sold within 2 days. They are probably all gone by now.

Get em while you can!

Jim H

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for posting the photos of the Nagant. It's nifty-neato. Looks to be better finished than later Soviet renditions. It's probably like a Webley, very comfortable to grip. Is the DA pull decent? I'm wondering since it has the gas-seal feature.
The DA on the Nagant is not in class with the Colts and certainly not in the class with the Smith's, but its ok, a target gun it ain't, but it is fun to shoot, if I'm trying to get a decent group hitting paper I shoot it SA.

Papabear

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Papabear you have some great old guns. Please keep checking your traps and posting as I love them old ones. Good hunting.
baldy,

I don't think I have posted this pic here before, this is my original collection of weapons and field gear used in WWI & WWII, I have added to it quite a bit, but don't have a pic of it all now, to much to get into one pic, well almost. The ammo in the pic is 1943 .45acp ammo from the Evansville, In. arsenal. The M1 Carbine is a 1944 Inland non-import, and all Inland stamped parts, the Colt 1917 and the Smith 1917 and my Remington Rand 1943. The light tan pouch between the WWI first aid pouch and tin and the carbine mag pouch is a WWII Navy .38 ammo pouch that the pilots carried for extra ammo for the S&W Victory revolver, its dated 1943. The .45 shoulder holster is a USMC 1943, the 1917 holstere at right is a G&K 1918 and the 1917 holster at the bottom is a Texan 1942 and the M1 carbine bayonet is a Case.

Papabear

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Papabear,

Wow!!! What a very nice collection!

If that was the beginning, than I can't even imagine what you have now. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Chris

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for you kind comments Chris, what I meant to say was this was my entire collection at the time when I took this photo, and I haven't taken another pic in some time, but yes, according to my wife my collection is way to large now........ ::)

Papabear

G

·
Nice WWII militaria.

I kept telling folks for years that Colt D-frames were selling way under what they should be. Well no more. My favorite gunshop got in around 30 old Colt revolvers. Many of them D-frames.

The average price was $450 and half of them sold within 2 days. They are probably all gone by now.

Get em while you can!

Jim H
The prices of post-war Colt revolvers --- even very late-production ones --- has been climbing ever since Colt discontinued DA revolver production. People are realizing that they are high-quality revolvers and no more are (probably) ever going to be made.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Papabear that is a fantastic collection of WW I & WW II guns and extras. Thank you for sharing with us. The wife did say if you don't stop you are going to have to buy me a new keyboard from me drooling all over ours. Don't you pay her no mind and just keep posting them great old guns.

Best... Baldy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts