Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys! I got a Colt Agent at a gunshow the other day and it is in pristine condition. It is the exposed ejector rod model and came with the factory hammer shroud with the rampant Colt on it. Do I have a valuble peice or a solid shooter? It was intent to be my back-up pea shooter.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. Like you I managed to find one of these pristine little guns a while back. Mine cost $400 and had been fired 12 times with factory ammo.

I like the gun and have shot it perhaps 150 to 200 rounds of std. pressure ammunition and a few +P rounds. I wanted mine just to have, sort of an example of another time. I have a friend who carries one daily as a BUG. I don't think these are particularly valuable, but they are not easy to replace if damaged. I'm not sure how hard it is to locate spare parts.

Best.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am honored you answered Mr. Camp, I constantly read your posts! Thank you for the reply. Can you tell me the difference between the Agent, Cobra, and Commando models? I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello and thanks for the kind words. I'm not a good Colt "historian" and am going by memory, but I THINK this is right:

Agent: alloy frame and butt a little shorter than the Cobra or
Detective Special.

Cobra: Alloy frame version of the DS and with the same length butt.

Commando: Rougher finished version of the Cobra with parkerized finish that was released in the '80's and had the shrouded ejector rod.

Best.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Mr. Camp. I was wondering because of the Cobra model and Agent model was told to ce Lightweight. Too many variations for my little brain.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Enjoy your Agent. I have one (made in '76), also with the factory hammer shroud, that has the enclosed ejector rod. It's terrific for pocket carry, but it's almost always what's kept around the house for my wife to use (since it has 6-shots, is reasonably effective, and she's willing to use it - unlike many of my other pistols).

Mine ran me $395 in 90% finish condition (locks up tight as a drum, tighter than my S&W J-frames) last year. It's not as pretty as some, but it's sure terrific to use. I'd buy another Agent if I found one in the same condition for the same price range, but my Holy Grail right now is a 3" Detective Special.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could I get a born on date? The SN# is 2278XX Who would be able to get this Info? Thanks for the replies. Mine was $375 out the door from a private seller at a gunshow. Is that a good price?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts