Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

Cleaner and lubicant recommendations?

6K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
I'd like to hear some feedback on the recommended choice of solvents for cleaning an auto-loader and for lubricating same. What are you favorites for these to separate functions?

#3 ·
Hi there,

I use Hoppes #9 powder solvent for interior/exterior cleaning, lube with a combination of Breakfree CLP and use Militec Grease (light finger application) on moving parts.

Previously, I never used grease, but it has already shown to slow down mechanical wear on moving parts.

Chris

#4 ·
My cleaning rod lately is just a piece of 3/32"diam. stiff aluminum welding wire I had left over from a job. I squirt some Outers NitroSolvent Bore Cleaner (spray can from WalMart) in the bore from the chamber end, leave it a minute, then push a patch wet with solvent thru from the chamber end with the stiff wire. I rarely ever use a brush. Modern American Factory ammo I use is fairly clean for me. Then I follow with a patch wet with BreakFree CLP, and another one same way. If I plan to shoot again the next day, I don't clean at all, only when my gun is goin in the safe.
If I ever have to use a brush, I use the Otis System flexible cable to pull the brush thru. Don't use Hoppe's No. 9 much anymore. The Outers does good enough and doesn't stink.
Been looking at Hoppe's new "Elite" stuff, tried a sample they sent, don't really see any big improvement for the jacketed ammo I use. Maybe it will help those that use bare lead ammo or high velocity ammo in rifles.
I use the same patches that went thru the bore to clean off the slide/bolt/extractor end , etc.
For slide lub I use a very very small amount of Tetra grease in the grooves with a paper napkin twisted into a point, just enough that I can barely see it. Too much attracts dirt.
(I use the Otis System for rifles, but we're talking pistols here.)
og........who is too lazy to thread patches on old fashioned cleaning rod tips for short pistol barrels.

#5 ·
OG, the Hoppe's "Elite" is repackaged M-Pro-7 touted as the only "environmentally safe gun cleaner". I've been very tempted to try it myself, as the smell of Hoppe's #9 tends to get to me during cleaning.

Currently, I use a mixture of Hoppes #9 and Breakfree CLP as cleaners.
Militec-1 only as my lube...I simply LOVE Militec-1 and I can't recommend it enough. I've finally used nearly the whole sample tube they sent me, so I'll be picking some up before too long.

My cleaning method is run a swab through the bore, a cleaner soaked patch around the parts, scrub the dirtier areas with a nylon brush, wipe down with a clean patch, run clean patches through the barrel until they come out clean. Lube llightly, reassemble and finish lubing. But I'm really considering trying a Bore Snake for those shorter range sessions where I only fire 50 rounds or so...

-Rob

#7 ·
OG, www.militec1.com/contactus1.html use the email link and type in "Free Sample" under the subject line, and include a note asking for the free sample and your shipping info. They no longer advertise the free sample on their website, but I've had several folks tell me they will still send you a sample if you ask.

Great folks to deal with, don't expect a response to your email though. I never got one, just an envelope about a week or two(I forget) after I requested my sample, with a tube of Militec-1 oil, tube of Militec-1 Grease, and some literature.

-Rob

#8 ·
Hi there OG and RandomMan,

I just ordered one of Militec's valuepacks with the 4 oz. bottle of lubricant, applicant tip and tube of grease. All for the princely sum of $23.90 including shipping!

All I can say is this stuff works!

I had FTF problems with my parkerized Kel Tec P-32 until I took the barrel out, coated it inside and out with militec, and baked it for 15 minutes in a 200 degree oven. The change was immediate. No more FTF!!!

Chris

P.S. This was not a paid promotional testimonial.

#10 ·
I have been using the MiliTec-1, for over a year....and I too heat it, but with the sun and black plastic bags...or hair drier....200* in an oven is a bit much.... and I would guess breaks down the lube. I also use MiliTec-1 greese, bike aid, corrosion X,bull frog, hoppes #9, gun scrub, and gun juice...anything applied to warm metal bonds better....same with cleans up better.

#12 ·
Cool!! Are you supposed to bake it??

og
Some people do, I don't. I find that it still lasts a very long time and is an excellent lubricant without being heated/baked into the metal. I put a couple of "raw"(no baking/heating) drops of it on my knives when I first got it 7 or 8 months ago and they're still smooth as silk and glide right open.

YMMV of course.

-Rob

G
#13 ·
In one of the forums I visit there was a discussion about *not* using Breakfree in the bore. Something about the Teflon effecting accuracy and being almost impossible to remove.

I was going to post a link, but dang if I can find it now. :-/

Kent

#17 ·
OG, the Hoppe's "Elite" is repackaged M-Pro-7 touted as the only "environmentally safe gun cleaner". I've been very tempted to try it myself, as the smell of Hoppe's #9 tends to get to me during cleaning.

Currently, I use a mixture of Hoppes #9 and Breakfree CLP as cleaners.
Militec-1 only as my lube...I simply LOVE Militec-1 and I can't recommend it enough. I've finally used nearly the whole sample tube they sent me, so I'll be picking some up before too long.

My cleaning method is run a swab through the bore, a cleaner soaked patch around the parts, scrub the dirtier areas with a nylon brush, wipe down with a clean patch, run clean patches through the barrel until they come out clean. Lube llightly, reassemble and finish lubing. But I'm really considering trying a Bore Snake for those shorter range sessions where I only fire 50 rounds or so...

-Rob
I use M-Pro-7 and I'll tell you it works GREAT no smell the key is to let it seat in the bore for 5min if you really need it clean let it seat longer 30min make sure say 15min in give it a few more sprays and let it seat till the 30min is up.

Then brush the bore and then wet a patch and put it throw it will come out so black my Glock 19 barrel you could see yourself in it. I also use Militec-1 oil and grease and it is all I will use, I have there test simple to and it last a long time becuase you need so little but it works as they say my bore stay cleaner and shoots better with its use.

So if you really want a GREAT cleaner and oil use those two and it will be all you need. I also use Q-tip and computer air in a can to blow out any cleaner left in the small parts works great.

CLP is old school and you get alot of dirt and sand mixed in and it will jam your auto up Militec-1 that does not happen at all.

#19 ·
e-mailed Militec June 10, received samples today, June 13, amazing!
two samples..one says grease, no instruction on tube; the other tube says synthetic Weapons Lubricant, instruction says to heat.
OK, I understand what to do with the one to heat.
But do you guys use the plain grease stuff too?? Without heating??
Need some clues.
og........who ain't too smart.

#20 ·
MiliTec does a great job in getting their product out...the locking lugs on the HP are a good place to use the grease..or any area that locks into place.... I would not use it...on any friction slide areas. Still the best way to heat, is the old black plastic bag...in the sun....you want heat....but not so much you break down the lube...and change its make up. If you first use the lube with the grease as a top coat.... heat would not be needed for the grease. I have been using this stuff..in this fashion... for well over two years with great results.

#21 ·
I use the stuff on the slide the grease that is works just fine just use a lite amount and work the slide orks great on my Glock 23.

And the oil just clean your pistol really good then put it on all points the have metel to metel contact and shoot 100 rds and wpn should be heated to the point it needs it.

clean and oil it alittle and you will be all set I did the shoot and heat step 2 times to make sure and I still use alittle grease on the rails and works just fine.

And you should get that M-Pro-7 for really clean pistol with that and militec-1, I can tell you all my pistol shoot and feel smother with it then without and are so easy to clean now.

Enjoy your samples they will last you a long time I have had mine about 4 months now and have only used like 1/8 of oil and not even that of the grease.

#22 ·
Hi there OG,

Here is another interesting Militec Factoid.

Militec advertises in their brochure that after 3 applications of their lubricant in the bore, cleaning solvents are no longer needed for cleaning, just a dry cloth or patch!!!
Now that's something I want to try, starting to today when I head to the range with the P-11.

I use the grease on the barrel hood, slide rails very sparingly, i.e. wipe it on with your fingertip. Its not like lubing a tie rod on a car or truck.

Give it a try!!!

Chris

#23 ·
Yea I use the finger or a Q-Tip to put it on, I have seen after using it for 4 or so months that yes it is easy to clean and yea I could just wipe it down but I am a person that always cleans after range time.

I carry my G23 for work so I wouldn't just wipe it down and carry it if it was just a range run yea I would do that.

#24 ·
Doing it today on a new Kel Tec P32. This one has the chromed slide and barrel and is a little sticky. Did a little fluff and buff on the barrel ramp and inside chamber with 600grit emery. Now, after cleaning, the parts are out in the sun with the Militec-1 oil stuff rubbed on good.
The P32 would have a FTF on the last round at times last range trip, I guess the chrome is not as smooth as blued steel. And maybe the chamber was a little rough too.
I'll give a report here after I try it out at the range next week.
Thanks for all the tips.
og

#25 ·
Hello OG,

I used the new Militec on my P-11 before going to the range the day before yesterday.

Wow! What a difference! The P-11 functions flawlessly and cycles much smoother than before. Even the heavy trigger pull is feeling lighter as some of the Militec has seeped down into the place where the trigger bar sits beside and below the frame rails.

As for cleaning the bore, two passes with a dry patch and I was done! I never did that before on any pistol I have cleaned. Period. The copper fouling I usually find in the sharp edges of the rifling is non-existant! Usually that is the hardest to remove, even with repeated scrubbings of a bronze brush and solvent.

Last round FTF on the P-32? I disassembled the magazine and cleaned the fouling out of the mag tube and the follower on mine and the FTF disappeared. See you on the KTOG range, og!

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.