Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am not sure why it would matter to anyone, but I recently received a couple of emails from two fellows very upset that I was "leaving" the Browning Hi Power and 1911 for other types of semiauto handguns.

It appears that because I was doing a post or two on other type semiautos that I was leaving the fold. One wondered why I even bothered with revolvers!

FWIW, if anything, the P35 9mm and 1911-pattern pistol in .45 ACP remain my top two choices for both fun and "serious" matters and rest assured that "fun" rates waaaaaaaaaaay high on my list of "pistoling thingys" to do.

At the same time, I enjoy shooting handguns and like to see what else is out there, but if push came to very hard shove and I couldn't have a stable of automatics, two that I would have would be the 9mm Hi Power and the good ol' "forty-five automatic."

The Mk III 9mm remains a strongly favored pistol of mine and one that I wouldn't be afraid to use in "the dark place." Even this relatively stock gun meets most of my "needs", be they real or imagined.

This one saw police service, both on patrol and in tac. I wouldn't have chosen it if I didn't think it could do the trick.

Mr. Browning's 45 pistol continues to be very popular. This old "Clackamas Kimber" has worked fine and can continue to serve well.
In my opinion, a nicely set up 1911 can be both utterly reliable and remains one of the easiest pistols to shoot at speed and still get very good accuracy...with either cast or jacketed ammunition.

I also have a healthy respect for the wheelgun and do prefer it in some scenarios, one being pocket carry. I enjoy shooting no handgun to any greater degree than I do the S&W Model 24 .44 Special with the 6 1/2" bbl.

Speaking only for myself, the pre-lock J-frame .38 Specials remain the top choice for a pocket gun. I have no problem with folks who have other choices, but for me, these work.

So while I may dabble around some with this or that, my single-action autos are not going anywhere.

Best.

G

·
Bwhahahahaha!!!!

You can have only one woman in yer life (at least at a time), but ya can have all kinds of handguns. And none of them care how many other handguns ya have.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Must have been some interesting emails for sure (grinning). I applaud anyone who is totally committed to one specific weapon to the exclusion of all others. I suspect they shoot that one weapon very well.

There will always be some specific weapons I would naturally turn to when things go south. Largely because they have served my needs well in the past. But part of my overall enjoyment of shooting is being able to try out new brands and models.

To me that simply allows me to make more comparisons against those weapons I trust, and allows me a fuller appreciation of the pleasure shooting any weapon provides me. During most of my range sessions, I generally always make some time for my "turn to" weapons.

But I never miss the chance if a shooter shows up with something I have never fired before, and they want to swap out weapons for a bit. I think it does not take much time on a range to size up another shooter to know they understand what they are doing. A quick safety briefing on your particular weapon and answering any questions prevents most problems. Once we are both safisfied we understand the proper handling of the new weapon we are about to shoot, we both tend to enjoy the experience. Maybe we like the weapon, maybe we don't. But I only know one way to find out first hand, and that is to shoot it.

While it could happen tomorrow, so far I have never met another shooter who did not welcome the chance to swap weapons for that added exposure. I enjoy that aspect a lot, but I do recognize that it may not be for everyone.

Just my opinion for what little it may be worth.

Nevadaalan you are right sir. Outside of cleaning and respect, none of mine have ever tried to hand me a "honey do" list either. Another nice plus to me.

twoguns

·
Registered
898 Posts
Stephen, I think the folks who sent you those emotional e-mails need to do one of two things:

1) Get the hell away from their computers and go shooting! What the heck would they care what YOU like to shoot, carry, etc.?

2) Spend some time with Dr. Phil Mcgraw. His blithering likely won't help solve their problems, but it would sure give the rest of us a good chuckle watching them suffer through such petty nonsense!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Mr Camp,

It seems to have mattered to them, but for the life of my I don't know why. Life is to short to only saddle up one horse, variety is the spice. I enjoy both worlds of revolvers and pistols, I figure it makes me a more rounded person, course with 270 lbs on a 5' 11"frame I'm pretty rounded anyway.

Thanks for the post and especially the photo's of your handguns, I truly enjoy seeing them.

Papabear

G

·
Those are nice Pistols, Mr Camp. I'll try anything once, I don't expect to find anything that much better than my current preferences but when the 1911 came out nobody was expecting anything better and look what happened. Even if the new stuff is garbage, at least it gives me something to gripe about.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Since I'm not an LEO and am an old retired civilian that doesn't get around that much, especially not in bad areas, my favorite handgun has become my Beretta 87T .22LR that I shoot target with at the range. The 1911 has become one of our home protection pistols and not carried anymore. I just don't have room on my belt anymore. The belt hardly fits :)
All other handguns, bunches of them, have been used for various target shoots, ammo tests, etc. But I don't carry anything anymore bigger than a pocket pistol.
Does that make me a traitor to my days in the Marines when I carried a Colt 1911.

If Stephen's e-mail friends live in a crime infested neigborhood or work the night shift as watchman, I can see why they would feel the way they do. But, geez, don't condemn a man just because he has an interest in other handguns.

og

G

·
I don't carry anything anymore bigger than a pocket pistol. Does that make me a traitor to my days in the Marines when I carried a Colt 1911.
Time has a way of making handguns heavier and bulkier. ;)

·
Registered
720 Posts
quote...Time has a way of making handguns heavier and bulkier.

How true, same is true of my waistline
:(" title=":mad:" border="0"/> :-[ Now, not much else will fit there. It wouldn't be an IWB holster but an ITF (inside the fat) holster and be hard to find. ::)

With large pants, a pocket gun, even 9mm, is easy to hide.

og

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Mr. Camp,

Over the years I've met many a shooter that was "wedded" to more than one handgun design or platform. By and large, much of this was fed by the "principle of utility" for which the individual owner felt suited his/her needs by and large.

I'll make certain that I mention that many years ago, my first handguns were a S&W M-57 .41 magnum revolver and a SA Mil Spec 1911. At the time I purchased both, I believed for sure (before the internet) that they represented the "quinessential handgun". But like Don Quixote, I couldn't end my search there and kept on over the years, reading, shooting, buying and testing.

I picked the Glock 23 as my first "real serious" defensive carry handgun. My friends and cohorts were "shocked". "Do you mean you're not going to carry a 1911?", they'd inquire. I'd look at them and grin, "not enough bullets".

Fun factor? Yes indeed and more please....the 1911 and BHP are great pistols to shoot.

But, what about the others? There's just too many more to shoot and I'd like to try them all...

And what about the "quinessential handgun"? I am still looking and the journey has been worth the while.

Chris

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hy Stephen,

nice pistols... Congratulations!!! How do you handle your pistols with not a single scratch? Not even in the magazine... Respect.

I also believe HP is the most trustable pistol...

Du you have some tricks for keep my argie in such a perfect condition? (Theme for a new topic I guess)

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello. Some of the guns that you see have been refinished when I retired from police service. I do have some magazines with much wear on them but I generally use the better finished ones for photos as glare can occur pretty easily; it's just easier for me to use those with but few marks.

Assuming that the handgun is cleaned after each use and carried in a close-fitting holster, wear is usually slower in coming but it comes if used much from the holster. The better made leather holsters seem to do it slower for me.

Best.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I started shooting pistols when 1911's, Brownings and a couple S&W models were about all that were available. Since those days, I've flirted with Glocks, Walthers, SIGS, just about any other make and model available. I've always come back to my first true love, the 1911. I think that if the Hi-Power was as easy to disassemble and work on as the 1911, I'd have been guilty of having two loves of my life. (I hate drive pins with a passion!!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts