Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded one of my HPs this week for a Charter Arms Bulldog. This guy really, really wanted the HP, and I sure love the .44 special round, so we made the trade. He also gave me a bunch of ammo he had bought for it, and a Galco paddle holster. It's kind of funny because I was just thinking the other day that I'd like a K-frame-ish sized, fixed-sight .44 special for carry. I love my 4-inch Model 24, but the target sights always carve holes in the lining of my jackets, even though they have been de-horned.

So far, I've got 60 rounds through the Bulldog, 30 on Friday and 30 on Saturday. I've got to say I like it a lot. The rubber grips do a good job of managing recoil, and yet are not so tacky that they print or grab under a cover garment. I am always leary of finger grooves -- fine if they fit right, nuisance if they don't. These fit me fine.

It shoots high with 240 grain bullets, but was close to POA with some 200 grain Gold Dots. Well, I like Gold Dots and so that is fine with me. I was keeping them in the 9 ring at 5 yds, which I would like to improve, but is good enough for your basic self defense scenario. Strangely enough, I shot better with my usual one-handed, duelist-style stance, shooting double action, than when I tried it single action from the bench. Again, it is not designed for target shooting. When shot the way it is intended to be used, it did better. Somehow, that is comforting. I may see about bringing the trigger down from what feels like a 13-14 lb. DA pull, to 8-9 lbs, but then again, maybe not. Something to think about.

So this one seems like a keeper to me. Not a fancy heirloom, not the favorite gun in my battery, but a workmanlike tool with a definite place in my life, which I am glad to own.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there brerarnold,

I've been comtemplating buying a charter arms myself since S&W doesn't make a snub nose .44 special and neither does taurus any longer.

How is the one you own for accuracy?

Chris

·
Registered
64 Posts
Be careful of Charter Arms. My first .38 was a Charter Arms (I think it was called the "Off Duty") and it was junk. Out of every 50 rounds (tried a coupla brands) about five would just dent the primer. I sent it back to the factory and when it was returned it was just as bad. This was years ago so maybe the newer Bulldogs are much improved than what I suffered with. I hope so. Caveat Emptor.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
brerarnold,

I am trying to talk my dealer into a least buying a Charter Arms .44 Bull Dog so I can at least look at one and see what their quality is like.

They advertise solid frames and hopefully they have addressed the quality control issues of years past.

Chris

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got to shoot the Bulldog again on Sunday. This time I was shooting at 7 yds instead of 5. There was definitely a difference. The groups opened up a lot, and it was more apparent that it shoots high. The guy I bought it from complained it shot low, and even filed off some of the front sight to raise the POI. I wish he had not. But it is easy enough to compensate. In a "social situation" I would take Bill Jordan's advice and aim for the belt buckle.

I noticed again that I shoot it better DA than SA, and so will just do it that way from now on. That is how I would actually use it in action, so what the heck.

The fit and finish are fine, given the price of this gun. The fact that it does not have a removable sideplate should make it somewhat stronger. I know some other folks who have had Bulldogs for some while, and they do not complain of poor workmanship. On the whole these pieces are fairly well thought of. I'm not quibbling with what Derek said; he may have had a lemon.

These guns are not meant for high-volume, full-power Elmer Keith loads, and I will not be using it that way. Having done some testing of 5-6 different loads, I find that it likes the 200 gr. Gold Dots the best, and from now on will stick with that load. I have a handload that is very similar, which will be good for practice.

G

·
Do you feel that the .44 bulldog makes you shoot slower or less accurate than a hot .38 special?
And if so, is that worth the bigger bullet?

I would consider the .44 if similar sized .38's did not shoot so easily.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you feel that the .44 bulldog makes you shoot slower or less accurate than a hot .38 special?
And if so, is that worth the bigger bullet?

I would consider the .44 if similar sized .38's did not shoot so easily.
If I compare to my Bodyguard, I don't think I shoot any slower with the .44 -- but I've shot a lot more .44 than I have .38 so I guess I'm used to it. FWIW. And yes, I think it is worth the larger bullet.

G

·
Had one very similar to "ruffbird". Mine had wood grips. Bought it when they first came out. Shot reloads. 7.3 grains of Unique. 240 grain SWC. Kicked like H--l. Would hate to be on the receiving end. Gave to ex at divorce with 25 rounds of 6.5 Unique reloads for home defense. My suggestions: pratice with 246 grain factory loads then fire ten rounds of Gold Dots twice a month. When all rounds stay in 9 and 10 zone of B- 27 at ten yards you be ready!

G

·
I always thought about getting one of the little .44s since I am a big fan of the caliber and the Charter Arms I have now seems to be well built. The one I have now is a Pit Bull in 9mm Federal that I took as a partial trade towards a Phillips & Rodgers Medusa/Model 47 a year or so ago. Mechanically it's pretty good and the finish is great, I just don't have a lot of use for a rimmed 9mm. I imagine the .44 would be ideal for my uses, though.
-RHM

G

·
I LOVE my 3" 1991-vintage stainless steel version of the revolver. It shoots VERY well and has been a "motel" gun when travelling! I wouldn't want to be on the "business" end of it at ANY time!

Scott

G

·
gunfan, I had to laugh when you mentioned your "motel" gun. I've had a Charter Arms Bulldog (.357, not .44 SPL) for years and that's just what I use mine for too! That, and it rides nicely in my old jacket when I'm out on the motorcycle.

My .357 Bulldog Tracker has adjustable sights and is 100% reliable. I've never had a problem with it.

G

·
Got one, enjoy shooting it! Not the best built pistol I own but I will keep it around
for kicks!Good truck gun.Just wish ruger made one it would sell a bunch for sure.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have to admit I'm a closet owner of a Charter Arms 2000 Bulldog. Purchased it new in 2001, fired 3 boxes of shells through it for reliability. Cleaned it, then placed in the night stand just in case. Have not fired it since.

It worked just fine with factory ammo. It's a pretty ruff firearm around the edges concerning fit and finish. I didn't pay a lot for it, and you do get what you pay for. It's no Smith by any means. But I feel it was good purchase.

G

·
Damned skippy! I recommend looking up their new 4" and 6" barrel full-framed, all-steel 'Bulldog' revolvers they are coming out with in .32 H&R Magnum (2" & 4" barrels w/adjustable or fixed sights) as well as .357 S&W Magnum and .44 S&W Special with 4" & 6" barrels w/fixed or adjustable sights. They will be at the S.H.O.T. show next february!

Enjoy!

Scott

·
Registered
679 Posts
I read this evening the same about the longer barreled pistols (4" & 6") on another gun forum. Is it also true that High Point had recently purchased Charter Arms 2000? I'm not sure if I'm too excited about that!

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

I picked up a Charter Arms to handle at the gunshop the other day.

While the cylinder was locked with the hammer back, it "broke" the hold of the cylinder bolt and allowed the cylinder to spin. When I opened it up, I looked and saw the really small cylinder ratchet and thin cylinder bolt. Are they all the same?

Sadly, I really was quite suprised and had hoped that they would be a little bit better in construction. From the outside, it was a fine looking revolver.

Chris

1 - 20 of 22 Posts