Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with this finish on their carry piece?
Can anyone recommend a refinisher? I did some searching on the www but did not find any web sites that inspired me with confidence in the plater. I did not find any articles reviewing the product either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What kind of finish is it?

It could be just a fairly common gun finish that somebody has just trademarked their version of, and you can get the same, or better, finish from another vendor.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I do not know what type of finish that is, or what type you are looking for.

From personal experience, I can only suggest two refinishers, as I have used both in the past with 110% satisfaction.

Metalife is basically an aftermarket electroless nickle, that is like a matte stainless steel finish. He suggests you do any action work you wish done prior to sending him your weapon, as the finish is so hard it would cause problems afterwards. I can also tell you the finish itself really smooths the actions of a revolver up much like an action job would.

BlackT is another finish I have used with excellent results. As the name implies it is a dark finish, that offers very good corrosion resistance and overall finish protection.

It has been several years since I have dealt with either company. The last time I had contact, both companies would apply their finish to all pistols, revolvers, rifles and shotguns.

It really depends on the type of finish you are looking for.

I am sure other folks are capable of suggesting other companies from personal experience as well. It would probably help if you would describe the type of finish/properties you are looking for from one.

Like nevadaalan, I have never heard of CeraKote by that name. I try to keep up with gun finishes as much as possible, but that is a new name to me. Sorry I can not comment on it.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

I've heard of ceraguard before and have gotten a couple of great first hand reviews from folks that have had their slides and barrels done on semi autos before with this finish.

Look here:

http://www.apwcogan.com/company.htm

A phone call to them will provide some helpful information.

Chris

·
Registered
354 Posts
Might look into Melonite from Coal Creek Armory. It is the same finish that Glock refers to as "Tennifer", and is hard as hell-as well as black. Had a mod. 58 S&W finished that's a "hard use" revolver (at the ranch). The finish has held up EXTREMELY well. FWIW, I'm a fan of Hardchrome (have several pistols finished in same), but wanted a "bulletproof" BLACK finish for revolvers-Melonite is "IT" for me.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Twoguns, Walter Birdsong is still doing the Black T finish, and I recommend it highly. I have several guns he's refinished, and he does a great job. Most of his business is for government agencies and manufacturers, but he still accepts small jobs as well. (I especially like dealing with him because he's close enough that I can deliver and pick up my guns, thus saving the hassle of shipping them.)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
LelandRay,

Thanks for the heads up on Mr. Walter. He is a true pleasure to deal with and chat with on the phone. I am glad to hear he is still up and running now, as I have a couple I would love to send his way.

He does amazing work at a very reasonable price in my opinion. I think his finish is even more amazing as time goes on. Very durable, and not a speck of rust on any of mine he finished. As a LEO working in both south FL and now southern AZ, saying that is a real testament to his work in my view.

Thanks again for telling me Mr. Birdsong is still around (tips my hat).

twoguns

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leland, I've been meaning to ask you how the green on that Hi-Power's barrel, especially on the hood, where it's most visible, has been holding up.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
The green on the barrel has worn in a pattern more or less consistent with the locking lugs in the slide, and the barrel has also worn where it touches the slide near the muzzle. The rails on the frame have brightened, but since I first took a good look at the wear, it's sort of stopped wearing.

Walter is the first to tell people that the green doesn't hold up quite as well as the black, and it seems what most people do with the green is strictly aesthetic, not practical. That's my excuse, but had I to do it all over, I wouldn't change a thing. I like my "green" gun.

I shot the following photos in January of last year, and as I said, the wear isn't appreciably changed since then. I really haven't been able to find any wear to speak of on the black, except inside the slide, which shouldn't be surprising.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds like you are talking about a ceramic coating. I have had several guns plated by J. R. Bailey of The Shooters Roost in Angier, NC. He does outstanding work and is fairly reasonable. I had two S&W M19's done for 160 and a Charles Daley 3.5inch 1911 done in two tone for 190. The CD is my idea of a perfect packing pistol and has had about 500 rounds run through it and countless presentations from leather without so much as a hint of wear. JR is a real nice guy and very thoughtful in what he offers to the customers. His website is at www.shootersroost.com and is very informative.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts