Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have good reason to have a CCW due to business issues. I am taking the required class and afterwards should qualify and I assume I will be approved. I am having some doubt in my mind, however, if I should. I take the responsibility very seriously, and the likelyhood of needing a firearm is very slim, but what if...

Have any of you had similar thoughts?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Not recently.

I think it's probably natural to question your own motives, and in fact, I have a lot of respect for those who do, but if you keep on questioning, you might want to hold off on getting the CCW.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

In an answer, no I have never had any doubts about aquiring a CWP here in SC.

Interestingly enough, I just got the renewal form in the mail today and need to complete it and send it in.

Chances are pretty good that I won't be in a traffic accident, the victim of a burgulary, fire, flood or hurricane, but like my auto owners and homeowners policies--the CWP is insurance that if I need a concealed handgun--I can carry it legally.

Should you have the opportunity, I heartily recommend that you take the CCW class regardless of your decision in the end.

I enjoyed my CCW class thoroughly.

Good luck with your decision!

Chris

·
Registered
430 Posts
In California, I'm aware that it is a difficult task to obtain a permit.

However, I think that as a gun owner, particularly a handgun owner and a business owner, you should apply for your CCW. This is of course my personal opinion, but we as a collective group owe it to ourselves to do several things:

A) Exercise our rights, to prevent them from being taken away
B) Protect Our Family and Friends
C) Protect ourselves and preserve society

We can do all of these things, by legally carrying a firearm and using it legally at the right time and place. Your doubts are understandable, but I feel unnecessary. You should feel no doubt and no remorse for exercising your rights, as a law abidding citizen.

Just my thoughts however, so take them with a grain of salt.

-Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I experienced the same aprehension initially. However, being "disabled" (I hate that word..but, whatcha gonna do?!) and viewed as an easy "mark" by society's worst, I completed the class, got my CHL here in Texas and never looked back.

I feel better able to protect my wife, myself and our home with my concealed weapon, and spend a lot of time at the range. Look at it as a flu shot...any anxiety you might have is worth the protection you are going to receive.

Short of being told "..if we'd only caught it sooner you'd be ok" by a doctor, my next worst regret would be wishing "..if only I had a gun right now."

You're experiencing a very normal emotion, my friend. For what it's worth, get it, be responsible and be safe!

Regards,

HondoHank

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think anyone who owns a handgun ought to obtain a CHL -- if possible in their state -- whether they routinely carry or not.

To me it's somewhat similar to a driver's license. Gun owners should know the law about lethal force in their state as well as other topics included in most CHL curricula. The class I took caused me to decide when, where and why I would resort to shooting somebody. Conversely, it caused me to decide when, where and why I would not shoot somebody.

Those decisions made in that class and others since then dictate when, where and whether I carry.

One other thing you might want to do if you haven't already, is take a look at the FBI's annual crime stats. They're available for the U.S. and your community at the FBI's website. This data can help you assess where and when you might want to carry -- or not.

In general, assaults, robberies and so on are pretty rare; encounters involving arms even rarer. And most of those involve family members. Armed incidents involving strangers are more common than lightening strikes but kinda in the same statistical ballpark. This data helped me think through my wife's and my routines to determine when we would be most vulnerable outside the home to a stranger's attack. And it's at those times under those circumstances that I always carry (she doesn't.)

YMMV.

Max

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I see no down side to getting the license. Then you can think and decide at your leasure. All the answers above are excellent. Your brain is your best safety tool. Use it well, and a concealed weapon is just another insurance policy.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
California makes it very hard to get a CCW, and some counties are worse than others. You are the only one who can decide if you should apply.

I've been carrying a firearm for one reason or another - professionally, or socially all of my adult life so the question really is irrelevant.

However, I personally know a number of people living in areas where CCWs are not easily obtained, who have had to ask themselves whether or not they should carry illegally. In more than one case the individual was disabled, and others were professional people who travelled through or worked 'hazard zones'. They made their decisions based upon the same criteria that you must, risk potential, need, and abilty.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All great replies. Thank you VERY MUCH for your insight and input. Great people on this board.

I did the four hour classroom session last night, and this afternoon I'm doing the four hour range qualification.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've been in situations a number of times in which having a firearm in my hand was a very good thing. Have not yet fired a shot in anger, having defused the situations in other ways, but you can't count on that.

Just last night, late evening in a convenience store, I saw something unfolding that I was not at all sure was not a prelude to a crime. Three youths acting very suspiciously. I had other options besides my weapon, if something had gone down, but I am always glad to have that option as well, for when it is needed. Maybe I was just being paranoid, but I don't think so. It is possible that these kids were just trying to see if they could intimidate me, for the sport of it, rather than any real criminal intent. Body language -- eye contact, strong stance, no display of fear or uncertainty -- seemed to take care of it. I hope nothing happened to the owner after I made my purchases and left.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there mjincp,

I think its great that you are taking the class.

Best of luck on shooting on your qualification!

I dropped my CWP renewal in the mail today.

Best wishes,

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I carry almost all the time..not because I'm concerned about becoming a victim of violent crime but because of some dogs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do have one. Did not think about it twice. When it became legal I applied. Even if you do not carry often, by having it you will be able to carry when you do need to. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts