Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right, I am going to make an effort to get my CCW. Only thing is, what state do I get it from? The two main states I can usually be found in are SD and AZ. Neither of which have permits that work in the other. So far, it looks as though North Dakota is the best state for this, as thier permits work in both states. Heres my issue though: fingerprints.

I have never been arrested, or for that matter, even done anything merriting arrest. My fingerprints are not on file anywhere, and I take a certain measure of pride/comfort in that. And yet, to get my CCW, I need to submit a fingerprint card. :/ I checked through every state on packing.org, and I couldnt find any that offered cards good in SD and AZ, whithout having to submit your finger printing.

I know there is the "well if you not up to no good, then whats the problem" argument, but the same argument can be used for why I should have a satalite tracking device implanted into my skull. Uh-uh, no way. I really feel unfomfortable giving away my annomity just so I can get a permit to protect myself and family.

Any advice? I have a feeling I'm going to get a couple "yeah, doesnt it suck" answers... but a way around it/state I didnt see or something would be even better.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Sir,

I think your fingerprints are probably on file someplace.

My footprints are on file from when I was born. I believe they did the same with my hands, and therefore, my fingerprints.

I would say to go with the state you reside in, the one with your physical address. This is usually best.

Josh <><

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Jeff, most US states require atleast thumb print in order to get a driver's licence. Does your state?

Considering the potential for abuse, with or without identity theft, most CCW carriers and LEOs consider it prudent to require the extra level of identification fingerprinting presents.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Jeff,

Most CCW states, at minimum, have a residency requirement which dictates that you have to be a permanent resident of that state before you can even apply for a CCW permit.

Not withstanding the background check at the Federal, State and Local level which require fingerprint identification, I firmly believe that obtaining the "privlege" of carrying a concealed weapon for defense and home by far out weighs the anonimity that most of us think we have in our lives.

Best of luck with your decision,

Chris

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
PA must be an exception. I have a CW license and I'm a public school teacher. I wasn't printed for either background check.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
North Dakota and Utah have no residency requirment, and are thier permits are frequently offered in AZ, as their permits are valid in a whole lot more states then AZ's is. North Dakota's also far cheaper.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might get one in AZ as well, its just at the moment I go between SD and AZ a lot, and thier CCWs are mutually exclusive. So, as long as Im stuck in SD, I dont want to get a permit that doesnt work in AZ.

·
Registered
800 Posts
PA has a non resident CC permit that you can get from CENTRE COUNTY SHERIFF"S OFFICE ONLY unless you live in PA. Don't ask me why you can only get from CENTRE COUNTY because I don't know. What I do know is that at www.Illinoisconcealedcarry.com members have been doing this for over 4 years. It is acepted in many states and only cost $26.00 and a return stamped envolope. With a 2 week or less turn around time. No photo, no prints. 8/08

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Jeff,

Some states will issue permits to those not residing in the state. You'll have to do some checking.
Washington does...you have to apply in person, the cost is $65.00, and the permit is good for five years.

Wes

·
Registered
105 Posts
Florida, New Hampshire, and Utah all offer non-resident permits. Those three states are the trifecta of CCW permits. If you get all three you are pretty much good in every state that permits CCW.

DocV

·
Registered
800 Posts
The thing with the Centre County PA. Sheriff's Office permit is you just go to the web site, down load the pdf form, fill it out, mail it back w/a $26.00 check and a stamped return envolope and within a week or 2 you get it in the mail. Unless you don't pass the back Ground Check. Then they send you a PA State Police Challenge Form to fill out and return. I think it is good for 19 states. Including Texas

I've read that Texas's CCW renewal list is so long that the Centre County Office is back logged with request from Texas right now. That is why it may take up too 2 weels to get it back. That and it is less exspensive than in Texas. Or so I have read.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts