Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need input from my friends on this forum.

The 21th of next month I am going to get another concealed handgun permit. My old one expired some time ago. I will conceal carry very little, but when I do, I cannot see myself carrying my GM 1911 45 ACP homebuilt, or one of my two BHP 9mm. Also, my truck carry pistol is a Glock Model 22, again too big for me to carry concealed. Most of the time I wear coveralls so I probably would need to consider a pocket type pistol. I prefer a semi auto as opposed to a revolver.

So ... would ya'll please "shoot" some possibilities my way so I can start doing a little research to see if any of them will fit my needs.

Bert

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Bert,

My recommendation is to find a smaller to midsize pistol in the platform that you are already comfortable with shooting rather going to something you may be less familiar with. This is of course unless you are willing to spend more time becoming aquainted with something new at the range.

Therefore, I would suggest either a G-23 for CCW or a Colt Commander unless you want to go smaller, i.e. G-26 or Colt Officer's ACP.

As you mentioned in your post, revolvers are not in the top of the line preference, but a great argument could be made for the S&W 642 or 638. That way, you could shoot through your coverall pockets if necessary! (Not recommended, but it an advantage over the autoloader).

Which ever you decide, I know you will do well my friend!

Chris

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chris. I owned a G23, but sold it because the grip was too fat for my small hands. I sure like the looks and all I know about the Colt Commander, but am afraid it may be a little too large for what I want. Not familiar with the Colt Officer's ACP, but will do some research.

Now after checking out the two revolvers you recommended, I may reconsider. There are several factors in the + column that catch my eye.

The shooting range is no problem. I own 35 acres of land about 7 miles from where I live which is very heavily wooded in most places, and about 1/2 mile off the hiway with the rearest neighbor at least 5 miles away.

I do not want I think what most of you call a Mickey Mouse gun, but the ideal to me would be one smaller than the S&W 642. What can you or any of the other fellows come up with?

Bert

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi Bert,

Coming up with something reasonably potent but smaller that the 640 might be tough, but perhaps the Sig 232 might be at least about the same size if you want a semi-auto and you are comfortable with the .380. I like mine very much and it is good when you feel like traveling light. Old Grandpa on this forum also has one and has done a lot of wet pack testing. If not, I agree with Chris that one of the older S&W Centennial/Bodyguard series is probably the optimal compromise, as the small 9mm that I am familiar with like the Glock 26 are somewhat thick. Let us know how it shakes out.

PGM

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Choices, choices. It seems like they are almost limitless, and a whole bunch of them fit my needs and are good pistols. Right now I am seriously looking at the S&W 642 or 638, and the Sig 232.

It will probably be sometime in November before I make my purchase. In the meantime I would appreciate more feedback from you people that have experience and know.

Bert

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PGM and Others,

I had to go to town this morning to buy a few groceries. The owner of the local U Save, a man I know through my lodge, is into pistols and has been after me to take him out to my woods to shoot for some time. He decided to take the rest of the day off and away we went. He had a Sig 232 and one of those I think you call them J frame S&W .38 cal, open hammer, not internal like the models Chris recommended. I handled and shot both. The revolver stung my hand, but the little Sig was a jewel. I did like it. For this old man it was extremely accurate at about 7 yards. The Sig 232 is definitely on my list of pocket guns to consider.

He also brought one of those little (Mickey) Mouse guns that I said I would not own. A little .22 long rifle Beretta. It also impressed the doodle dust out of me. Sounded like a cannon, and was very accurate at 7 yards. It could very well fit my needs as a pocket pistol.

We shot several other pistols, and in general had a good time just plunking away. Gerald did amuse me a little. He tried to steal (not really, but it sure was sticking to his hands) my home built GM 1911 45ACP. Don't know if he was just trying to make me feel good or not, but he said it was the best 1911 he had ever shot. He is into reloading, and had several different kinds of 45 ammo that he had loaded and some store bought. He loaded three magazine staggering them with different loads. My homebuilt never missed a beat, and for the most part he was making one big hole in our target.

Bert

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi Bert,

Glad to hear you had a positive experience with the 232. I think you can do even better if you put on a set of Hogue rubber grips to replace the factory plastic ones. I would trust it over a 22 lr rimfire any day. I like the Cor Bon and Hornady .380 loads especially. The J-frames can be a bit stiff on recoil with +P loads, that is for sure, although they too can be improved with aftermarket grips, in my experience. Be sure to check out OG's data in the ammunition section for detailed .380 wet pack data.

Sounds like you better hang on to that 1911, or somebody will try to trade you out of it!

PGM

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Bert,

Shoot and try more handguns until you find one to your liking.

I've owned a SIG P-232, but it didn't like me (slide bite) because of my larger than average mitts. Also, try find someone with a Makarov and try shooting that as well.

Chris

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Chris. As I have stated I have two fine BHP in 9mm so I think I am going to follow the .380 route. Also, the .380 will be smaller and better suited for pocket carry the few time that I will do that.

Wow! There are many what appears to be excellent pistols out there in that caliber. Are you, or any of the other people familiar with the Bersa Thunder in .380. I understand Mr. Camp likes this pistol, and I do put a lot of faith in what he says.

I well understand that a lot of this is personal preference, and that what is good for one person is not necessarily good for another, but would you and others comment on the Bersa Thunder, and any other .380 you wish to.

Bert

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you PGM. I did read Mr. Camp's article several months back when none of what he wrote applied to me, and did not pay too much attention to it. Now that I am considering both pistols the article, of course, has much more meaning.

If things go as planned, I will get a chance to shoot a Bersa Thunder in the morning. I'll give you a report if I do.

I have found several reports concerning the Bersa Thunder on the Internet, and all have been very favorable. Both the 232 and Bersa Thunder are on my short list as of now.

Bert

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you Chris and PGM. I took your advice very seriously, weighed all the facts, re read Mr. Camp's comparison of the Sig 230 (232) and the Bersa Thunder .380, read everything I could find on the Internet about each, shot the 232 and Bersa (also shot the S&W revolver), compared them side by side, and made up my mind. I had planned on waiting until late November to buy, but it turned out that I had a pair of almost new 1911 Crimson Trace laser grips I was not using that Gerald wanted bad so we worked out a deal. Off to Gander Mountain in Beaumont (a 200 mile round trip). And now I am the proud owner of a brand spanking new 2006 Bersa Thunder .380.

Again, thanks.

Bert

·
Registered
720 Posts
you did good, Kellar, the Bersa will serve you well. Almost identical ballistics as the Sig P232 and a better price. The money you saved will buy some ammo and maybe a holster.
Let us know how it does at the range and what carry ammo you decide on.
Cheers,
og

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi oldgrandpa,

Thanks to the recommendation of someone who knows what he is talking about two boxes of Remington Golder Saber 102 gr were shipped to me yesterday from Midway. I should be getting them in a few days. I'll give a report as soon as I shoot some of them. This will be informal, nothing on the level you do when you make a report. I also ordered that Pocket Protector Holster that Galco makes for about $20 from Cheaper than Dirt.

I've only shot that little Bersa Thunder CC one time to date. About 100 rounds of Winchester White Box. No problems with me, but on three occasoins with magazine loaded full the last round would jam failing to load when my nephew shot. Any ideas anyone?

I am going to love this little pistol. I like all the features on it, and I think it will more than serve my purposes when I learn to hit the "side of the barn" with it. As all of you gun people know shooting it is nothing like shooting my 45ACP 1911 or my BHP 9mm.

Bert

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Bert,

Well, that seems like a perfect excuse to shoot more!

I am going to love this little pistol. I like all the features on it, and I think it will more than serve my purposes when I learn to hit the "side of the barn" with it. As all of you gun people know shooting it is nothing like shooting my 45ACP 1911 or my BHP 9mm.
I had the same issue with my newly aquired Walther P-5. Continued practice with it has made me a better shot after shooting SA autos for so long.

Congradulations Bert, and keep us updated on its performance!

Chris

·
Registered
321 Posts
Congrats Bert! I have heard only good things about the Bersa. I am looking forward to your impressions and report.

PGM

G

·
I found it quite easy to transition from my 1911 to my star BM. With the fixed combat sites on my 1911 the bm offers a strikingly similar site picture. It is small and easy to conceal. Uber reliable as well. I carried it religiously till i got my star PD. Being a 45 fan over 9mm I now carry the PD.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts