Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ccw and have to travel (3 hr drive) to an adjacent state(VA) for some training for my job. I will be gone 2.5 days and the state does honor my CCW. I dont plan to conceal while at the hotel as as I will more then likely have to be social after class and go out with other company employees. I am more concerned with the trip there and back.

Well I asked a coworker that also has a ccw if they were going to carry and since no we really could not talk at the time gave him 3 options yes, no and plead the 5th.

His response was yes if we are able to drive our own cars and plead the 5th if he rents. He basically was not sure if he rents if he would carry. This person is one who I only have a working relationship (he is uppity acting)even though he actually lives not far from me so I did not ask him anything else about it.

Well today I find out that we have to rent cars. Well typically we pay out of pocket and are reimbursed for travel expenses after the trip . My company also has a no weapons policy on there premises.

The positive thing is that the training is going to be held at the same hotel we will be staying in. I typically dont let the maid service into my room at hotels and only get towels. More then likely I wont be venturing out of the hotel but I know that since others in my company will be there I might have to ride out with them and be social so I wont be able to carry away from the hotel.

Yes I know its ultimately my choice ... I am just curious as to if anyone else would carry on a business/training trip where you are driving to the location from home. At this point I probably wont unless the hotel has a safe in the room but I ultimately will make that decision right before I walk out the door.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Breakersloco,

I am not sure how much weight you should give my answer, but yes sir, personally I would, very quietly. If anyone asked me, personally I would be inclined to simply say no I decided not too. A secret known by more than one person, is no longer a secret.

But I have been a LEO for 35+ years now, and I would simply feel naked without a weapon on me. That is why I say you may not want to count my answer too heavily. But if I were retired, with a CCW and no LEO background, I think my answer would still be the same.

Others may feel differently, and they should say so if they do.

twoguns

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm with 2G on this (altho I am not a current/former/retired LEO).

My reasoning is this: I carry a gun for reasons similar to why I wear a seatbelt, or wore a helmet/jacket/gloves/boots when I rode a motorcycle. I do not plan to have an emergency where I need any of them, but if I ever do, I will not be able to choose the time and place, and it will be too late to put them on when I need them.

As for your company's policy -- I wonder if their policy for keeping you safe amounts to paying your wife the insurance money, if any. Not sure if you can stand to get canned if discovered violating company policy, but I would not expect to see the company standing between you and a violent felon, either. Company (like University) policies are obeyed by people who want to obey them, and ignored by those who do not. See Virginia Tech.

These days I avoid as much as possible places, jobs, and people who somehow think I, with my life-long lack of felonies, misdemeanors, and with all my state taxes paid, am somehow a threat to be kept at bay.

Good luck with your decision.

elb

G

·
The no weapons on business property rules are getting tossed out by court cases left and right not certain of current VA status, there is also the liability issue employers take on when they have such a rule, by infringing on your right they become liable for your safety to and from the parking lot, I see no way they could enforce a rule in a rental car rented in your name. Va does outlaw concealed carry in places that serve alcohol by the drink.
Basic philosophy, Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just found out that there is a safe inside each room at the hotel.

Thanks to all who have posted and to those that are going to post for the responses and reasoning behind it.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I'm in agreement with the others.
I'd carry, whether my car or a rental, and do it discreetly.
As always.

That last part about being discreet is important in a lot of ways. I always tried to keep quiet about this sort of thing to my co-workers when I was working (and most other people for that matter).
Who knows- maybe two years after saying something about it to someome at work, someone will have a meltdown and start screaming at people. The next day some clown will say something like "Good thing xxx wasn't here, or he might have blown him away", then go on about how you are a "gun lover".
So now that everyone is nervous from the guy going beserk, bigmouth just aimed all of that toward you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also agree that I would carry, and have too. Just don't tell anyone. That's why it is called "concealed carry". I don't let anyone other than my wife know I carry.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
a gun in a hotel safe isnt much better than one left at home.

You are forgetting that while in class it needs to be somewhere safe. Even if I do take it with me I will not chance someone brushing up against or if I get made (printing ) during class. Leaving it in the safe located in the hotel room is much better then it laying around loose in the room as who is to say that the do not disturb sign cant get knocked off the door or if the maid service ignores it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Beakersloco---

This is really tricky, like Don't Ask, Don't Tell. It doesn't matter if there are legal challenges to company policy, you could still get fired for keeping a gun in your glove compartment in the parking lot, if I read you right, and the lawsuit for wrongful dismissal would drag on for decades. The politics aside, I carry a gun at work (and handle large amounts of cash, from time to time, let's say ten grand at a crack, and extremely valuable artwork, and feel more confident armed), and my boss simply doesn't ask if I'm wearing a weapon. He knows, but would prefer not to know. OK, we're insured for liability, but this isn't going help me personally if I get boosted at gunpoint and get shot for resisting a hijack. Your risk, attending a conference, seems minimal, but what's minimal risk? Wouldn't rubber-necking out-of-towners attending a paid soiree seem like easy bait? They would here in Santa Fe. Take the gun. Don't advertise it. Leave it in the room safe, if you're uncomfortable.
Good luck, David
PS---I wouldn't. I'd keep it on, and suffer whatever consequences.

G

·
There are some "if's, and's, and but's" to this... I know a guy who took a gun to a training class out of state, and his company had a policy of sales trainees sharing rooms while away on training. His roomie recognized the gun case, punked him out, and he was fired from a 6-figure job. I'd chalk that one up to "don't ask, don't tell", and "concealed means concealed". I weigh the need for a gun vs. the potential downside. As an ex-cop, I hate going unarmed, but sometimes it's the only practical choice. It also depends on the gun in question, a full-size fighting gun is best if you really need it, but a mouse gun in the pants pocket beats the heck out of the 1911 at home 300 miles away.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I voted no, but I do not live in the US.

It seems to be that living in Bolivia is much much safer as to live in the US.

We have lots of social violent situations, but the use of handguns on the street is not often, even in bad social situations.

In one of my trips I was in the middle of a relative violent demonstration, and what I did was remain calm, and drive away, taking care of not hitting anyone with the car, or telling something I would regret. 5 min later I was safe.

If I would be armed, in the middle of this situation, and if the demonstrants would noticed I had a gun, the situation might have been very difficult to me, and I am not sure that the law agents would have any possibility to take me out.

My thinking is "let the police do his job".

You might have more chance to have a violent intruder at home.

I travel a lot, and always left the gun at home. I am happy to tell you that in my case, guns are for sports, and I really hope this will remain so.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello,

I thought since this thread came back up that I would suggest the old "don't ask/don't tell" scenerio since you are not on company property for your training meeting.

A similiar situation happened to me when I went on a "company trip" to a place a month or so ago and wound up disarming in front of my boss and his boss to enter a POSTED: NO FIREARMS facility. As it turned out, I used a bit of discretion and didn't offer any explanations aside from "I need to leave this" in the company vehicle.

As it turned out, I got a knowing wink and smile of approval from my boss who knows that I am rarely unarmed when not "in the office". And then, to my suprise, a couple of questions from his boss on "how does one get a CWP (Concealed Weapons Permit)?"

My suggestion is to do whatever you think is "right" for the occasion and use complete discretion.

Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts