Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Chubbypigeon posted that he would like to carry two full size handguns concealed. This brings up some interesting questions that we might want to "what if". Since firepower is an issue lets consider carrying semi-auto's only.
How would you carry your two choices, what make/caliber would they be, and would you carry any spare magazines or not?
In my case, being a statuesque 5'3" this could be a problem. Plus I'm a stocky build. My pick would probably be BHP's in 9mm carried in horizontal or vertical shoulder holders. Whichever fit my body morphology best. I would carry a spare magazine for each pistol. Another option might be to have one on each hip along with spare magazines for both.
The shoulder holster option is probably best, as it will distribute the weight of the pistols/equipment well.

Wes
(Oneguntwomagazinesandaknife)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Wes,

Well sir, my best answer is it depends. Primarily on whether I am at work or off duty. My weather has an influence as well, as coat weather simplifies things greatly.

When a coat is practical, I carry two Sigs in a double shoulder rig. Right now it would be a steel framed P226R and a P229, both in 357 Sig. I would also carry at least one double mag pouch. On my ankle would be a K40 in a holster in the top of my boot. Down the road I anticipate getting a second P226 in steel, also in that caliber. I am very impressed with how well this 226 handles for me, with the additional weight soaking up recoil and allowing me much quicker follow up shots.

If for some reason I decided not to carry the Sigs, it would be two CZ75B with the 357 Sig barrel. I have one, and also anticipate added a second one in the near future.

Most of my yearly weather in much more on the warmer/hotter side of things, making the double shoulder rig impractical at times. Then I would be carrying either my 226R or 75B in an OWB holster, with one double mag, along with the K40.

These above choices are off duty, and largely dependent on where I anticipate being. I have a fairly large city about 20 minutes north of me, that is experiencing increased gang activity. When venturing up north, I would be more inclined to want two full sized, even if it were to require a cover garment - unless it just screamed gun because it was 115 outside.

At work, I normally look like I am going to war, because things can become interesting very quickly at times. I would have one Sig in a tactical drop leg, the second in a tactical vest pocket, and the K40 on my ankle. My tactical gun belt has 8 pistol magazines. These then become back-ups to my M4, for which I carry 6 30 round mags, with 2 30 round mags clamped together in the rifle. I have added a Surefire tactical light and Trijicon Reflex sight to my M4.

Interesting question again Mr. Wes, and it will be interesting to see what folks have to say.

twoguns

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Twoguns,

Thanks for the input. My preference is my M4 carbine, as well. Unfortunately, I can't walk about town with it on a tactical sling!
The pistol/mag/knife combo seems to work for me...

Wes

·
Registered
112 Posts
Gents,

Chubbypigeon posted that he would like to carry two full size handguns concealed. This brings up some interesting questions that we might want to "what if". Since firepower is an issue lets consider carrying semi-auto's only.
How would you carry your two choices, what make/caliber would they be, and would you carry any spare magazines or not?
In my case, being a statuesque 5'3" this could be a problem. Plus I'm a stocky build. My pick would probably be BHP's in 9mm carried in horizontal or vertical shoulder holders. Whichever fit my body morphology best. I would carry a spare magazine for each pistol. Another option might be to have one on each hip along with spare magazines for both.
The shoulder holster option is probably best, as it will distribute the weight of the pistols/equipment well.

Wes
(Oneguntwomagazinesandaknife)
Wes,

My problem is similar to yours--I'm short and "stocky" (being charitable about my build, you know...). The problem is compounded by the fact that I live in Texas and much of the year it's just too hot to wear a jacket. My chosen carry, right now, is a S&W 642 in my right front pants pocket.

If and when I start carrying two weapons, I'll probably keep the 642 in my pocket and carry my Kahr PM9 in an IWB holster worn with a shirt untucked.

Crash

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Everyone has to work out their own system based on they lifestyle and what they shoot well.

Assumptions are a bad thing but, since I have only seen about 1 or 2 guys around who could shoot 2 guns at the same time with any real skill, I am assuming that one is a backup (I can assure you it is in my case - I can shoot right handed and I can do pretty fair left handed but *both* handed is a disaster for me :-/).

For several years now I have carried my primary on my strong side (about 3:00 o'clock) and my second heavy duty "backup gun" on my weak side (about 10:00 o'clock) crossdraw.

I can do a fair job of drawing this left handed also (what was called a "calvary" or "twist" draw) but that is a back up plan in case my strong hand is disabled.

It only came to me over time that I can get this gun into action faster (even if it is a weak hand only draw) than I can reload an empty auto.

While I started carrying two heavy duty handguns because I was seeing a lot gunfight results where people were shot in the gun or gun hand, I came to see that there are other good reasons for carrying a second serious handgun (drawing while seated, continuity of fire, different "tools" for different jobs, i.e. - a special purpose backup like a .44 magnum).

That does not mean I dont carry a hideout or two also ;)

Jim H.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Mmmmk.....

I used to carry a S&W M19 4" barrel along with my Taurus 92 and a small semi-auto in my weak side pocket. The Smith was SOB, offset from my spine, and the Taurus was strong side. Spare mags were on my right side. I had no speedloader.

I've sold the S&W and only have the Taurus, a J type frame, and a .380 PPK clone. I carry either the J frame or the PPK in my right front pocket, mainly as backup. However, this setup gives me an advantage: I have less time to get the gun on target if, say, something should my way come on my right side.

We have all sorts of critters running around out here. I usually don't pay them any mind as long as they stay a certain distance from the house. Those that don't (especially racoons) get "naturally selected." Rabies vaccines for the dawgs are not 100%, and '***** make a mess in the garbage. I can't stand 'em.

Anyway, I often take off at night. I'm blessed with good night vision, and can make out what type of critter it is at 25yds max. Though I haven't had any need to shoot one in a while, I've tracked a few racoons in my sights with both my Carpati (walking out, on my right) or my Taurus (walking in, on my left). As Mr. H said, both at the same time is usually a bad idea.

As well, I make sure the pockets in the pants I buy are deep enough to conceal a handgun with up to a 5" barrel and I've actually carried this way.

Sooo.... the short answer is that I'd probably carry a spare fullsize either offset SOB or in a front pocket. I wouldn't rule out another OWB on the other side though, or perhaps a couple of crossdraws (though I like them less because the weight of the barrel and slide tend to carry me past the target on a fast draw).

Josh <><

·
Registered
525 Posts
Some interesting thoughts here. I have carried a second gun off and on for awhile, recently decided to get more serious about it. Was interested in twoguns experiences (in another thread) with ankle holsters, and he passed on some good tips to me.

In thinking through this, to decide what and where the second gun should be, I came up with the following thoughts. I see the purpose of a second gun as answering the following problems:

1) the first gun fails mechanically
2) the first gun is lost; either drop it or someone yanks it away
3) the first gun has someone is hanging all over it, either in its holster or my hand
4) my primary hand is not available, i.e. hand or arm is wounded or otherwise not functional. It is tough to get to my first gun on my right hip with my left hand.
5) I need the second gun to do something that my first gun can't
6) I wish to arm someone else in a hurrry.

Numbers 1) and 2) logically reduce to the same thing - I can't use the first gun, but both hands are still available. Thus I could still use my primary hand to operate the second gun.

Numbers 3) and 4) also logically reduce to the same thing - I can't use the first gun, AND I can't use my primary hand. This dictates I have the second gun somewhere my left hand can get to it fast.

Number 5) - By just carrying a couple guns around, I have found it sometimes handier to reverse the roles - to make my second, usually smaller gun the primary. An example has been where I kept a snub in the pocket of my outer jacket, particularly when it is an overcoat over a suit coat, which is over my BHP/hipholster. In doors I had the J-frame in a pants pocket, inside a pocket holster - as I put on my overcoat I could slip it into the outer pocket without a lot of fuss, and have it in my hand if need be as I wander around in the parking lot. I can use it immediately if needed, but if things turn into an extended affair, I can get do my best to increase distance, get to cover, and get out the BHP. I find the same situation when it is very hot weather - I have the BHP under a shirt in a tuckable, (having my shirt untucked is not always an acceptable option) but with a smaller pistol in my pants pocket, I can stand around with my hands in my pockets and have gun in hand but concealed if need be. (I like this option at gas stations late at night).

Number 6), being able to arm a companion in a hurry, dictates that the second gun be something simple to handle - revolver, Glock, Kahr, KelTec. I love the BHP, but training someone in the finer points of cocked/locked and absolutely fail-safe trigger discipline is not done on the spur of the moment.

So far this has all boiled down to me usually carrying a smaller revolver or a Kahr P-9, or occasionally a P-3AT in a left hand pocket somewhere.

(I would love to try an FM compact for awhile, just for the commonality of ergonomics and interchangeability of magazines and ammo, but I am afraid lopping 1 inch off the barrel won't make it small enough, and it trips over the requirements of Number 6. I periodically reconsider whether this requirement is as important as the others, but since I don't have an FM yet, it is moot for now.)

Toting around the snub in my pants pocket, especially in the summertime, proves annoying sometimes (I have a steel one, Taurus actually - haven't sprung for an exotic alloy - yet). I would like to try out an ankle holster soon - but I will probably put it on my right ankle for a left hand draw.

In the Farnam Handgun course I took last weekend, we had some drills in transitioning from primary to back up gun. All while moving, of course. We did them during the day, and then again in the dark. I carried a Kahr P-9 in my left vest pocket, drew and fired left handed, both using my right hand for support and going left-handed only. My pocket set up was atrocious, the flap was in the way, and the pocket too big to keep the gun upright, really slowed down the draw, so I learned something there, but otherwise it went alright. I was accurate lefthanded, not as fast, but accurate.

I had one big fumble when using the flashlight. Started out with flashlight in lefthand against left shoulder, move draw, go to "Harries" technique, shoot and move until empty, holster primary, tuck flashlight under right arm, draw backup with left hand - OK, now how do I get the flashlight in my right hand when it is tucked under my right arm? Simple! Just fumble the grab, drop the flashlight altogether, and finish the shooting in the dark! (I could still barely see the target, couldn't see my sights at all, but hit the target anyway with all rounds).

I realize I have subconciously have a Number 7) condition or requirement too - I don't want to have to deal with too many combinations of guns and holsters and positions, i.e. shoulder holster one day, pocket carry the next, ankle carry on Sundays, or whatever. I basically want to stick to the same set up as much as possible.

Kind of long winded, but this thread prompted me to think through my plan a little more explicitly. Hope my ramblings didn't clutter up things too much.

elb

·
Registered
649 Posts
Two full-size guns seems a bit of a stretch to carry at the same time to me. I always(short of work-zero tolerance there) carry my P32 with a Taurus PT111 Pro in the Jeep unless I am also carrying my Glock 19 on me. Of course I have a mag extension on the P32 giving me 8+1 rds. of .32 ACP and have 18+1 rds. of 9mm in the Glock 19. I also carry a G17 mag w/4rd. ext.(21 rds. on tap) as a backup mag when I feel I might be in a higher risk area.

Between having 40 rds. of 9mm and 9 rds. of .32 ACP I don't feel that another full-size would be necessary...I ain't that paranoid....uhhhh I mean overly cautious YET....

G

·
. . . . or perhaps a couple of crossdraws (though I like them less because the weight of the barrel and slide tend to carry me past the target on a fast draw).
There is a decided tendency for this to happen when presenting from this carry mode. The solution is to bring the handgun to the vertical centerline of your body as you grip it with your weak hand, and then thrust the arm forward and up to your line of sight.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gents,

Thanks for sharing. ELB, VERY well thought out plan. As Jim H. noted we all have to work out what will work for our individual situations.
Thanks again.

Wes

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I want to carry two full-size guns.
I haven't really been able to yet.

I have carried a full-size gun strong side (1911 or HiPower), and an HK P7M8 weak side. I consider that full-size and medium. That P7 is about as big as I think I can go on the weak side, and even it interferes too much with my mag pouch.

Which brings me to this question-
For those who carry two guns (of any size) on the belt, whether IWB or OWB- Do you also have a mag pouch?

I suppose carrying two guns negates the need for a mag pouch, but it's awful hard for me to let go of...for some reason.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. BarryinIN,

Yes sir, I carry a double mag pouch even when carrying two full sized pistols. Ideally the pistols are the same or will at least take the same mags. If the weather permits it, I carry one strong side OWB and one in a shoulder rig. But I still use a double pouch as well.

My reasoning is simple - I like me, and want to maximize my odds as much as possible. What if one of my full size has malfunctioned somehow, and I have had to drop it to deploy my second one.

I don't want my only other magazine to be sitting in the pistol I have lost control of. Now during a gunfight I have to try to find the abandoned pistol, to retrieve the magazine. That also assumes I have not had to change to different cover, etc. and I can basically still reach my discarded pistol. Too many invitations for Mr. Murphy to suit me.

You might want to consider trying to conceal your P7 in the small of your back. Not the most comfortable location, but it is very concealable. But as most folks have agreed, the trick is to find a system that works well for you. This system works for me, and may not for others.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

twoguns

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't think I'll ever be able to carry two full-sized guns at the same time--in fact, I'll be lucky if I'll ever be able to carry one full-sized and one small one. I live in Texas and it's just too hot to wear a jacket much of the time. And wearing an untucked shirt is rarely an option for me, either. It looks like the only practical methods for me are pocket carry, fanny pack, or ankle holster. I think I'll probably wind up carrying my S&W 642 in a pants or jacket pocket and my Kahr PM9 in the other pants pocket.

Crash

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Crash,

I do understand the heat issue sir, as I am in southern AZ. There is really only a bit more than a month each year I consider jacket weather here. I normally wear a dark colored t-shirt (to help hide a dark weapon and holster) with an unbuttoned button down dress type shirt over it as concealment. I keep my cigarettes and an ink pen in the shirt pocket, so it looks like I have a valid reason for the shirt. Buy the shirt one size too large and you have a lot more spare room with it unbuttoned than you might realize.

But everyone does need to figure out the system that works best for them. Once they have made their choice, they really need to practice using that system too. To find a carry mode that works for your particular situation, but not practice drawing your weapon from it during range sessions just does not make much sense to me.

Other folks may disagree, and some ranges restricts draws which I understand. But you can always practice at home with an UNLOADED weapon, or a pistol filled with dummy loads to give you the same weight. If you don't reload, ask a buddy who does to load you some dummy rounds - just the brass and seated bullet - no primer and powder. Just don't confuse it with live ammo, and don't leave it loaded in your carry mags. That would be ugly.

Just my thoughts if they might help someone.

twoguns

G

·
Well, I've decided to go with a Full-Size, and something smaller, until I get into law enforcement, in which case I intend to add a duplicate of my duty pistol in a shoulder rig, to the mix, but for the time being, I've found a comfortable medium for myself.

The CZ-75 goes strong side, and I keep a double magazine pouch for it weak side. I back this up with my favorite pocket rocket, a Beretta P-21 .25. The two full-sizes were sounding good, but jacket weather is over, now, and I'm too shallow-chested to hide a shoulder rig without one. Just haven't got the pecs for it. Weird, since I work out every day, but some men are just built that way.

I'll also quickly admit that with my current income, getting another CZ, and a shoulder rig, besides, was just plain cost-prohibitive.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I carry a S&W 1911/.45 IWB and two 10rd mags on the belt. I carry a KT 3AT in my front pocket with a spare mag in my other pocket. If I was going to carry another full size gun I would have to have a shoulder rig.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts