Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another site a poster asked about current best buys for car/truck/plinking. Most replies recommended the Maks. I no longer believe they are a best buy for these purposes, Maks are no longer low priced and the price of many approaches $300. My choices for a car/truck/plinker at a low price are now the CZ52, a well used S&W M10, and my pick a Star BM. Southern Ohio Guns still lists the BM for $139.95 and I have been very pleased with the one I own. What say you? Regards, Richard

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Richard,

The Star BM is a excellent choice, but more often than not it is the handgun that I am carrying.

However, I would also suggest a Ruger Mark II or Mark III is great non-center fire choice in truck/car plinking handguns. My original slender barrel version doesn't seem to take up a lot of space and won't break the bank if taken.

Chris

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
One of these days I'm going to get a CZ52, but the S&W Model 10 is a great plinker. If you plan on getting one for shooting a lot, make sure it has the model number inside the crane, which denotes a gun made after 1957. The post-57 K-frame guns are all good to go for +P ammo.

The next time I do a major reloading cycle, I'm going to load up a bunch of wadcutters at about 700 fps. I shot some of those this weekend and had forgotten just how much fun they could be. Accuracy was really great, too.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think a car/truck gun should be as powerful a handgun as reasonable.

A friend was recently involved in a shooting on the road and it would seem a round that would reliably go through a car door would be called for.

I'm not sure about the penetration but I think the CZ52 would make a good inexpensive car and plinking gun.

At present I leave a Ruger stainless 357 Security Six in the car and truck along with another pistol or two and a rifle.

If I can find a flash hider to tame the blast of my Kel Tec PLR-16, I think I'll put them in the vehicles to do duty as a pistol and rifle.

·
Registered
194 Posts
As far as a handgun goes, it is whatever is in my CCW holster at the moment. But for good plinking fun, I have a 16 inch barrel, collapsible stock AR-15 in the trunk. It's not an anti-carjacking device, it's an "I have some spare time so let's do some shooting" device. w00t, as they say on arfcom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts