Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was found last week at Omaha Beach.

The end is a piece of plastic that comes off.

Circumference around the metal part is 2 inches, length of metal piece is 1.75 inches, the diameter of the plastic piece is .5"

Does anyone know what it might be?

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
abninftr,

From the diameter and length I's say it was a corroded Jap or U.S. cannon shell from aircraft cannons. It comes out to about 15-16mm in current form and probably 20mm when it was new.

Just an educated guess...

Wes

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hmmmmm.......
I think its Omaha Beach origin would preclude a Japanese connection, and it looks like it would come in under 20mm. The plastic end-cap and button-like thing sticking out the end lead me away from any kind of projectile I know of. In a place like a D-Day beach, the term "Military Equipment" could include an infinite number of unidentifiable metal bits.
I look forward to seeing what it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe there are numbers on one side, but it is too corroded to tell. Does anyone know how to get them without ruining the object? That may give us a clue.

·
Regulator,
2,353 Posts
Tough job. If it was found on Omaha Beach it could be American, British, Canadian, Norwegian, German, etc., etc. Don't envy you your task. Best wishes with it.

JayPee

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I have to agree with Jonny as I wonder just how long plastic has been used for military equipment or ordnance. I also wonder if it is actually of military origin or if it is something more mundane, possibly something out of someone's pocket. Could it be something from a later period?

·
Regulator,
2,353 Posts
I hate to throw a monkey wrench into this discussion, but the movie "The Longest Day" was made in and around Normandy in 1962 and there was a heckuva scandal over it because the Army provided a zillion extras for it and didn't charge the producers for use of the troops. Now, I specifically recall a huge number of scenes of GI's running across Omaha beach and being pinned down by German fire. All the trailers say that actual locations were used whenever and wherever possible. So this object could well be from the U.S. Army of the early 1960's instead of the 1944 Army, or it could be something left there by the 1962 camera crews. I was in the 7th Army in West Germany at the time and recall the ki-yi over the free G.I.'s. The use of the plastic also seems out of place for 1944 to me as well.

JayPee

1 - 12 of 12 Posts