Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Which is more important to you? We have some 1911 fans here and I am one, but IF it wasn't available in .45 ACP would you carry it in 9mm, .40, 10mm, or some other caliber? In other words, are you more wedded to the platform than the caliber? On the other hand, were it as described, would you go with another auto or a revolver in .45 ACP or some near-equivalent caliber? Is the .45 ACP that important to you?

Niners, we ain't off no hook, either!

Many of us are more than a little partial to the 9mm Hi Power and we have some CZ75/85 fans, too. Let us assume that both of these designs are available in .40, but not 9mm. Would you personally opt for the same design, but in .40? Or would you go with a different auto chambered in 9mm? (Oh, yes, no clones of the above guns allowed.) In other words, like the 1911 guys, do you prefer the gun design over the 9mm? If you couldn't use either of these two guns might you opt for a revolver in .38 or .357?

I have not forgotten our Glock friends. Assume that whatever your choice in Glock/caliber does not exist. Would you opt for a different gun for that special caliber or do you prefer the Glock to the extent that you would go with whatever they offered?

Revolver fans! We all have our favorite revolvers and calibers. Assume that whatever your favorite is cannot be had in its current caliber. Would you stick with that model?

An example might be an S&W 4" Model 19, a classic .357 magnum. Were it available only in .38 Special, would you go with it or with a different make revolver of similar size, etc that is in .357? If your taste runs to J-frames, would you stick with them if available only in .32 magnum? (Remember, you get 6 shots rather than 5.)

Thanks in advance and best.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Stephen,

That's quite a quandary for me, but I like the challange.

In answer to the first question, I would probably pick the 9mm in a 1911 platform and already have the Star BM for that role although it has a different trigger and ignition system.

As to the second question, I would probably go with a different auto, i.e. Sig 226 over the Browning HP. Caliber selection is more important to me than the platform as I can train with an alternative.

As to the Glock, I would opt to go with whatever they offered based on the size and package, i.e. 357 Sig.

Chris

G

·
I would have no problem with the 1911 platform in anything 40 caliber or above. My prejudice (and it is a prejudice) is for big bores. Right now, the only semi-automatic pistols I own are 45 ACP 1911s. One in 40 or in 10mm would serve just as well.

However, the obvious conclusion here is that I definitely lean toward revolvers for most chores. If I couldn't have my 44 special N-frames, I would have no trouble replacing them with anything over 40 cal. Same for the 44 mag Rugers in my safe. Anything over 40 could be made to serve on the ranch.

Now, when we get to the 642 in my pocket, I already have a bit of a confidence problem with 38 special. I don't know that I would ever trust anything smaller. I might carry a 32 if that was all I could get, but I might start thinking of my Cold Steel Extra Large Voyager as my primary weapon and the 32 as backup.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello Mr. Camp,

I'll start with the 1911 first, if it wasn't available in .45 ACP, I would still carry it in Super .38, The 1911 is that important to me!

Now, if The High Power wasn't available in 9mm, I would still pick it in .40S&W over ANY pistol in the world!

Well, I guess it's pretty clear where I stand, to me there is just Nothing like The High Power & 1911, their still light years ahead of all the other pistols... And, they always will be.

Take Care,
The Sockman

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't have much experience with autos. I love to shoot them but as a reloader of 32 yrs. that just hates to lose brass and someone that's kind of old and kind of fat it just drives me nuts to have to search around all over the yard for those cases.
Thus I've become a revolver lover and I'm very partial to S&W models 19 & 28. I suppose if I had to give one of those up and had a choice it would be the 28. As to the 19 I don't care what caliber it is I dearly love it. I'm partial to 6" barrels but "long or short, big or small if it's a 19 I'd love them all".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Howdy Stephen,

I prefer platform over caliber. Regarding the 1911 style firearm, I would choose a different caliber rather than a different platform (asuming my chosen 1911 platform is one that runs as well as my BHP - which is why I carry my BHP rather than my 1911).

Regarding the 9mm... I suspect I would keep the BHP platform in a different caliber, but I would prefer to shoot and carry one before committing as there is a difference, albeit minor, between the two models.

Sincerely,

Michael

G

·
Hello Mr. Camp, I use IWB for concealed carry. I only trust the 1911 for safety reason's. If the 45 ACP. was not available I would use a 1911 in 38 Super. Take care Good People

·
Registered
649 Posts
Well...I prefer a BHP over the 1911...but hey that's me. I would go with a BHP in .40. The same for the CZ. I would opt for a Glock 23 if I could not have my fav Glock 19.

G

·
I've gotta say, Sockman and I are "as one".... I would go with the 1911 platform and for the BHP, if 9mm wasn't available, .40 would be ok, as would .38 Super. When I bought a brand new H&K in 9mm, the only reason I bought it in 9mm and not in .40 was because I already load for 2 other 9mm pistols and I simply didn't want to have to mess with loading another caliber! Starting from scratch again, I'd go for .40 in a 1911 platform if .45 wasn't available. (I'm thinking though, if the .45 acp caliber was suddenly not available, I'd just retire and move to some other planet, or take up knitting.)

Regarding the Glock... I had a 19 and traded it away. I replaced it with a new H&K USP Compact in 9mm. I'm old fashioned in that I prefer either a traditional single action pistol (i.e. the 1911) or a double action with follow up shots single action, i.e. the H&K.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Mr. Camp,

I prefer my Taurus 92 as my carry pistol. I will therefore exclude it. I do not trust the .40. It's not old enough. The 9mm and the .45 have been around much longer.

So... I'm excluding the Taurus 92, period.

I would seek a handgun with a similar manual of arms and a similar recoil curve if I had to begin carrying it on short notice.

As I carry my Taurus cocked'n'locked about 25% of the time I would have no problem going to the Hi Power assuming it had an ambi safety fitted and functioned correctly after 200 rounds.

The other viable option for me would be the CZ85. I would still have the 9mm recoil, ambi safety, and the option to carry cocked'n'locked.

If I had time to master a new recoil curve for quick shootin', I would go with a 1911 in .45acp assuming it was reliable and, again, had an ambi thumb safety.

If I could not go with any of the above, I would seek out a Smith and Wesson M19 with a 4" barrel as well as one with a 2" barrel for NY reload/backup.

If I couldn't have the magnum, I would do the same with the Model 10.

Please let me know if I've cheated :)

Josh <><

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would just go back to my favorite ole timer 1911 in 38 super, and not worry any more about it,, couldn't or wan't allowed the semi platform,, then its back to the
S&W 27 ,but only with the 3 1/2" bbl

G

·
Gents,

For me it would be an SA auto 1911 Commander in .45 ACP. If not available I would go with my BHP .40 S&W.

Bottom line? You're going to use whatever you have!

Wheel gun? My S&W M57 4" .41 Magnum or a M27 3.5" .357 Mag. Just my preferences.

Wes

Wes

·
Registered
8 Posts
The only .45 calibers I have are 1911s. I don't much fancy any other pistols in 45 ACP so I suppose I am wedded to the 1911 platform for the 45 ACP.

I have a 5" Colt in Super .38 and it is my favorite 1911 of all time. I have no problem using it over a 45 at all. In fact, I probably use the Super .38 a little more than the 45s.

I would not have a problem carrying a S&W Combat Masterpiece in 38 Spl over a S&W Model 19 either.

As for the Glocks, I have a G-19 and a G-23. I like the G-19 very much, but I don't care for it's .40 cal twin at all.
I have thought about a G-22 in 40 though.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Decidely action type although there are certain aspects of caliber that have an effect -

For instance, if there were no logistical problems, I could care less wether my 1911 was a .45 ACP, a .455 Webley Auto, .45 Super, .451 Detonics, .41 Avenger, .40 Super, .400 Cor-Bon, 10mm (.40 S&W is just a touch harder to get to work in the action but ballistically I would not mind it).

However, I would prefer a half ounce bullet, or there abouts, and I would perfer it to be as controllable as the .45 is so a Power Factor of about 195 to 210 would be nice.

Once you dip below .40 caliber I might start to have second thoughts and I admit, it would be a very tough call....in the end I would probably rather have a 1911 in 9X23 or even Super .38 than a Sig 220 or a Glock in .45...but fortunately I do not have to make that choice.

But, this is rather academic.... logistics does present challenges and if one travels abroad then he is more limited. I admit, I don't know if the .40 is catching on over seas but I do know that the .45 ACP and 9mm are widely available (a good friend who has reason to know tells me that the 1911 is highly respected and preferred by even the Isaraeli operatives who do a lot of "wet" work - even though their country is awash in 9mm ammo). Several countries produce ammo for it. Still, while available, it is a lot less popluar in Europe and the Mid-East than the .45.

If stuck with ball, to me there is not really any choice (having shot several critters with non-expanding 9mm I would be forced to shoot only ocular window shots with 9mm ball - it has not perfomed any better for me than the .22 LR). So, I take any reliable auto in .45 (probably 2) over any auto in 9mm. BUT (notice the big but) then I also want a P-35 in 9mm as a emergency backup - since both ammo and mags abound. If I could also take some of my own ammo (or there was a source of good expanding ammo where I was going) then I would not feel nearly so limited with the 9mm.

BTW, this is not so academic, I expect to get a ride over to the "big sandy" within the next couple of years thouch I do not expect to stay long. I can pretty much guarantee you I will not be going without a couple of 1911s in .45 :)

Press on,
Jim

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Hmmm, I like good 1911 .45s, but the only one we have belongs to my sweetheart wife.

Since a 1911 .45 sorta isn't available to me, I use a 1911 Coonan .357 Magnum Automatic (standard 5") . It is a gem- reliable, softshooting, accurate, powerful, and handy. Much lass recoil than the favorite 4" .357s. If this isn't available to me, then a 5" 5906 PPC9 please.

Whichever caliber is no longer avalable in the Hi Power, I'll take the other caliber. If no Hi Power then a 5906DPA or Glock23/19.

I'll also be comfortable with any .44 Special or .357 in a Smith K, L, or N frame. Three inch to four inch barrel please.

If either the G19 9mm or G23 .40 is not available, then I'll take the other. If both are unavailable, then back to my Hi Powers.

If the 9mm 5906 is gone, then a 3913 please, and vice versa.

Don't touch my J frame- grrrrrrrr........
::)

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I'd stay witht the same design, but go to a different calibre, preferably .357 SIG regardless of make, i.e. Colt, BHP or Glock. Why? Because the way it works (mechanics) and how it fits my hand (ergonomics), etc, is more important than calibre.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If I couldn't have the 1911 in .45acp, I would probably select the new Ruger 345 -- a friend has one, and it shoots well for me. So in this case, it is caliber, not platform.

If I couldn't have a BHP, I would not have a 9mm. There just isn't another one that I've fired that I like that well. So in that case, it is platform, not caliber. If I could have it in .40 and not 9mm, I would take the .40.

I like S&W revolvers of all kinds, N, L, K, or J frames, would take any one of them in virtually any caliber, esp. older ones, so that is very platform-specific.

G

·
1. No M1911A1-45acp Bersa Thunder 45acp
2. No BHP or CZ75 Compact-Glock 27 w/9mm barrel or Kahr K9
3. No Glock-Browning BDM or Kahr K40
4. No 44 Special S&W 3rd Model Hand Ejector-4

G

·
I would always find a semi-auto in 9mm, and a revolver in 357mag. Those are obviously the "right" caliber for the "right" type.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mr. Camp,

Hello, Sir!

Knowing that there isn't a substantial difference in performance of modern handgun ammunition caliber isn't a big issue with me. However, my favorite is the 9mm. The Glock Mod 19 being my perferred platform, but if the 9mm were not availabe in this platform then I would simply switch to my second favorite platfrom, my Sig P-225. I have qualified with and carried both on my job and it is my personal opinion they are equally suitable for my purposes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts