Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend, I drove up to Buda, Texas, to visit one of Cabela's newest stores. According to Cabela's website, they opened stores #11 and 12 in Ft Worth and Buda Texas. I was looking forward to it cuz I really like their catalog, but when I saw it -- WHOA BABY
. It was huge. Like an airplane hanger, but much much fancier. Lotsa mounted animal displays, with info about them, big acquarium, "General Store", restaurant, Bargain Room with slight damaged/display model stuff (and this room was a whole 'store' by itself, not just a room with a few items). The firearm section was quite large, both new and used stuff, saw a couple Hungarian Hi Power clones for $289, which is not bad by San Antonio prices.

The sheer size and variety was the main breath-grabber, but a close second is the "Gun Library". Here they had a large number (200-300?) of firearms of various vintages -- and apparently for sale. I mainly looked at the leverguns, since I recently picked up a Marlin 36G, and already have a Winchester 94. Many of the Winchesters were early models from the late 1800s, priced at $1000-$5000. The grand prize tho, was a Winchester Model 1876, in .45-60 caliber, 30 inch octagon barrel, engraved "1 of 1000," with a letter from the Cody Firearms Museum (which I understand to have all of Winchester's early records) attesting to its status/origin -- AND a price tag of $165,000. Apparently there were only 5 of these 30 inch versions made, despite the engraving. No, I didn't ask them to pull it out of the case so I could check the bore. ;). Here's a link to their website with pictures and more history on this rifle, so you can see what I am talking about and that I didn't typo the price.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inventory/inventory/sidney/winchester/324697_1000.jsp;jsessionid=4AHRLDBW15NUGCWQNVCSCOIK0BWUMIWE?_requestid=42010&_requestid=64844

Maybe I am easily impressed, but I thought it was well worth the trip just to walk around and gawk. Lotsa stuff, lodge-type decor, Gun Library, rack after rack of rifles, and a pistol display case that's about 50 meters long, I think. Lotsa ammo too, prices were better than I've seen in local gunstores, but not good enough to drive to Buda from San Antonio just for a box or two.

If you are in that part of Texas, it is easy to find, Exit 220 of of I-35, look for the big new water tower (yes, water tower) with the Cabela's logo. There's a shuttle that runs thru the parking lot if you have to park out in the far edge (reminds me of theme park).

I had fun. If you go, hope you do too.

elb

·
Registered
37 Posts
Interesting to hear the report on the new stores in Texas. I 'visit' the Dundee MI location often as it is on my way to work!! What a great place!!

I chatted with a gent working in the shoe department last fall. (New boots!!
) Seems he was going to be a manager in one of the new stores and Cabela's sent several trainees to MI to work all the departments before their store opened. Enjoy your shopping...... ;)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Been to the one in Dundee also. Supposedly it's one of the top two or three most-visited destinations in the state!

I'm sorta excited about Cabelas these days, as they are in talks about putting a store in Florence, Ky. This is about 20 miles from my house in Cincy Oh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts