Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. If we buy/trade/swap for enough handguns I think it is probably likely that sooner or later we wind up with something that doesn't please us as much as we thought it might when we traded off this or that or forked over hard-earned dollars.

There have been several in my own trades or purchases but probably the one I regret the most is:

...this SIG P210.....

Some will ask, "How can you say that? The SIG is probably one of the very best firearms around in terms of accuracy and quality."

I agree that this is very true.

The problem is that for me the gun's hammer bites mercilessly and the difficult-to-obtain spare parts are very expensive.

For these reasons I find myself not shooting the P210 as much as I really should, given its accuracy.

That said, I am not particularly interested in getting rid of it or the .22 lr conversion unit that came with it. It is an interesting piece and one that exudes elegance and quality but it has still be a bit of a disappointment to me.

Others will hold exactly the opposite opinion.

How about you? Do you have any similar tales?

Best.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello,

Yes Sir, it has happened to me as well.

I once bought a Beretta Tom Cat while living up north to carry as a BUG in my coat pocket, I was wanting to cut down on weight & save some space that my 649 BodyGuard added and took up. After taking the Tom Cat shooting, not only did it's thin, flat trigger sting the heck outta my finger, I very quickly lost what little faith I barely had in the cartridge when a bullet was stopped dead in it's tracks by the rim on a coffee can. I could not trade it in fast enough on another High Power.

With All Due Respect to my fellow members that carry .32 ACP Autos. I agree 100% they serve a purpose, and, I would much rather have that .32 Tom Cat in a fight than a pocket knife, but in my way of thinking, I gave up alot to gain alittle. My 649 BodyGuard was back in that coat pocket before dark.

Take Care,
The Sockman

·
Registered
430 Posts
I suppose I have a bit of Buyer's Remorse with one of my pistols.

A Webley Mk. IV in .38 S&W manufactured about 1956. I bought the gun for a decent price, took it home and discovered it was slightly out of time. I could make the gun fire, but the parts to fix the weapon were not available at the time. Add in that the ammunition was $15 a box and was "anemic" at best, I sold the gun. It was taking up space in my range case and the gentleman I sold it to was a collector Webley's and reloader of .38 S&W.

I turned the cash into my new 1911, no regrets and .45 ACP is cheaper and more powerful than .38 S&W.

-Rob

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Mr. Camp,

I think this, and other, boards are repleat with my tale of trading my Ruger Super Single Six for the Hi-Point.

It still hurts! Doh!

Josh <><

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Heya Sockman,

I also had regrets about the TomCat I had; at least yours would fire most of the time.

Swapped it (with boot) for a Grock 22 that for some reason I never felt right about. Never malfunctioned but I never really trusted it either. Swapped that for a nice old (1920's) Colt Police Positive Special (got boot) in about 98% condition.

So it all came out OK, but it took a while.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
198 Posts
Two handguns come to mind: first, a Smith & Wesson First Model Hand Ejector .44, aka the Triple Lock, .44 Special, Target Model, 6 1/2" in factory nickel, and the second was an engraved Armand Swenson Colt Lightweight Commander .45. I'm a shooter, and just couldn't handle having these two firearms which were essentially irreplaceable if I broke them somehow, so sold them both, to my eternal chagrin. Or is that relief?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Good to have a thread where we can list our lemons.
I also had a Tomcat that fired fine except the last round would "spit" out the breech before it ever chambered, due to a faulty designed magazine. My other Berettas have been flawless (so far). Also had a pretty Buckmark .22, nickle plated, fancy grips, that would never shoot a group no matter if I used match ammo and "conditioned" the barrel. Traded it for a Buckmark Target Model and they sent the wrong adapter for the barrel screw with it. Dealer couldn't even get the screw out.
Then there was the Bond Derringer, 9mm, all stainless, built like a tank, but bloodied my thumb 'cause the stupid barrel latch was on the left side right in front of my thumb when I fired it. My latest lemon was a KelTec P32 fancy chromed slide and barrel that somehow the plastic warped on one side of the frame where the assembly pin goes in and the slide would stay locked back unless I manually pushed the slide lock on the ejector down. Needless to say I traded the lemons back to my dealer who was kind enough to give me a trade.
Oh, I've had other firearms I didn't like, heavy triggers, etc. No gun mfg. is perfect so when you find a firearm you like and it always functions right, that's what we call a "keeper".
Thank goodness most of what I've bought and traded are keepers.
og....who ain't perfect neither!!

BTW, I just noticed....I've never had a revolver that I didn't like or traded for something else. Are revolvers all keepers or am I just lucky.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Stephen,

I lost count after owning about 60 handguns over the past 20 years, but there are several that make "honorable mention".

A Colt Trooper that I could never keep properly timed.

A Ruger Security Six snub nose revolver that had the same problem as the colt.

A CZ model 40 caliber something that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with. By the way, the gun just never felt "right".

A Ruger Vaquero in 45 Long Colt that just felt huge and had no practical application for my shooting needs.

The list goes on. However, with the regrets, comes the knowlege that now I first check out the majority of my purchases before I buy, swap or trade.

Chris

G

·
Sellers regret? Yes.

Buyers regret? Rarely, and generally only related to weapons of questionable reliability (ie 2 S&W Sigma's). I also regretted buying a 9 shot 4" taurus .22 revolver. the trigger on the weapon was terrible. unfortunately, i liked every other feature and the bad action just pointed out how much of a shame the lack of fitting in the lockwork was. Both were good concepts with poor execution.

By the way, I have never regretted getting my P210 for a second ;)

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm with car541...too many instances of seller's regret (oh to be able to get back the good ones that got away...). Buyer's remorse for me is usually not related to the new gun but rather to the "opportunity cost, " as there are always competing (and usually not firearm related) priorities for the cash!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Buyer's remorse: Jam-o-matic AMT Back-Up in .380. Gun would jam up so tight that I couldn't rack the slide or strip the mag out. Repeatedly. Fortunately it was a cheap buy.

Seller's remorse: 1941 byf P.08 in VG-Exc condition

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I had both on one trade. Swapped a Marlin 1894 rifle ( 22" heavy barrel, half magazine, only 1300 made, that shot like a dream) for a Jonathon Browning Mountain Rifle (that had lockwork issues and wouldn't group for crap).

Oh, well.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just remembered the worst "lemon", "rip-off", I ever got stuck with.....NAA Guardian .32NAA (the bottle-neck Corbon cartridge). No extractor, no ejector, last round would jam on ejection between slide and breech (eventually leaving a nick in the stainless steel chamber end). Recoil severe, no ladies gun, lousey sights and in my old wetpack tests the Corbon bullet would just disentegrate with poor penetration. (See item 7. of my wetpack tests, clik on url in sig line.)
Called NAA and they said it's supposed to work that way, the last round hung in breech is their last round slide lock!! They then refered me to Corbon and e-mail replies said wet papers and water jugs are "too severe" a test. Their gelatin tests all passed FBI requirements.
I should have know better than to get something "S" of M&S fame had been involved in. After all Corbon and NAA are 2 of the biggest supporters of the M&S junk science "stopping power" stuff.
$400 down the drain. Don't you make the same mistake.
FWIW,
og

·
Registered
194 Posts
I guess we've all got a few stories like this. Here are a couple of mine: bought a Taurus .44 spl snubbie -- I don't remember the model number. It was one of those blue titanium jobs. I am fond of the .44 spl, and liked the idea of something lighter and smaller for carry. However, the trigger was just not that good, and the "Ribber" grips grabbed cloth and printed like crazy. It was not all that small either, although it was on the light side. Traded it straight up for a Vaquero .45 Colt, 5.5" barrel, and never looked back.

The second one was a Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter in .44 mag. Now, this was a great gun in many respects. But, how many .44 mags does one guy need? I like the Bisley configuration, but I was never going to scope it, and let me tell you, this gun was a horse. Comes a gun show and a fella who has a S&W Model 57 with a 8 3/8" barrel who traded with me, again a straight-up trade. I really feel I got the better of that deal. The .41 mag is a good round, I did not already have one, the long barrel makes for super accuracy, and Super Blackhawks are a dime a dozen, Model 57s are not. This one has the best out-of-the-box trigger I have ever used, unless someone had some work done to it by an expert along the way, because it is perfect IMO.

So both of those "remorse" deals turned out fantastic in the end. Nothing wrong with buying some good trading stock from time to time.

·
Registered
720 Posts
this has been a great thread, thanks, Stephen, for starting it. Like a free visit to the pysch doctor to get some bad feeling aired out.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I really liked my Bersa Thunder - until it self destructed at the range after about 1200 rounds. When the trigger was pulled it wouldn't drop the hammer, nor could I pull the slide back or off.

Haven't looked too hard into fixing it but - why bother? I can't ever again use it/carry it for SD purposes if it failed once.

So I went and bought a Mak - lets see how that works

G

·
Hello Stephen,

I regret to say my Hi Power Practical just doesn't shoot for me. I love the gun, its history, and everything about it but I just can't shoot the darn thing. My Glock 34, my Kimber .45 1911, even my Vaquero all make me look good at the range but not the Hi Power. I feel like a traitor but I'm going to sell it or trade it. Sigh..even tried 3 different types of sights on it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I haven't had buyer's remorse about many guns but a few come to mind.

A Llama Mini Max 45ACP.
A cheap price and cheaper gun.

22LR North American derringer.
I carried it around the place for a snake gun. When it failed to stop a Copperhead with 5 close shots of snake shot I sold it. It was also scarry because the 22LR had such little velocity from the 1 inch barrel that the bullet penetrated little and would sometimes bounce back.

A 410 derringer (those cheap black ones).
The gun did almost more damage to the shooter than the target. 410 shot or buck has very little velocity from those short barrels.

Ruger Mini 14.
The accuracy was so poor that many of my pistols would out shoot it at 100 yards.

Taurus PT-22
I bought it for a pocket gun. Very accurate but too unreliable feeding. The slide cracked twice. My friend's slide also cracked.

Colt .380 Government Model.
Expensive. Not reliable and highly inaccurate.

I almost forgot the worse one.
The Colt Python. Worse because it cost so much.
Two Colt gunsmiths and a Colt representive, after examining the gun, agreed that the gun was dangerious but Colt wouldn't fix it or sell me the part so I could fix it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts