Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hy folks!

It seems to be that finally, this weekend I will have my Bul Cherokee pistol.

I have waited for some papers of the ministry of defense since November 06. (That's how it works in my country)

I would like to know if someone of you have used this pistol, that promises a lot of things.

I would like to know your opinions, or even what you have heard.

Thanks

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi Iagbarrb I have never heard of a Bul Cherokee pistol? If you could post a picture of it that would be great. Alway interested in something new. Hope it's a good shooter for you.

Best,Baldy..

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello baldy,

I tried to post a link to BUL Transmark of Tel Aviv, Israel here so everyone could see the tech info. I wasn't very successful.

Here is a picture of the BUL Cherokee:

The BUL M-5 is distributed by Charles Daley, Inc. in the United States, but not the Cherokee at present.

This could be the reason that this quality Israeli Manufactured handgun is not very well known among American shooters.

Chris

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks Mr.Carolinaman for the picture. It sure does look good in the picture. Looks like they gave a lot of thought towards Military and Police work with this pistol.

Best, Baldy..

G

·
http://www.bultransmark.com/Products_cherokee.htm

I can tell you, just from looking at those pictures, that it's a CZ-75 clone (most "original" guns are, nowadays, excluding striker-fired-actions) with a polymer frame, modified to allow the safety to be engaged without the hammer cocked.

Point of fact, I could tell you that was what it was the instant I saw the relief behind the ejection port.

Now, I have a question:

What does it say to you when every company that wants to produce something they can market as a "new, groundbreaking design" that will "revolutionize the defensive handgun market," or some such rot, copies a design three decades old, puts their name on it, and acts like the original never existed?

Read that Bul Cherokee page. Read the Armalite page on the AR-24. Read the Tanfoglio Page on the Witness line. Read the Magnum Research Pages on the Baby Eagle. Every single one of them tauts their pistol as being the ultimate evolution of the autoloader, and every one of them is just talking about a knock-off of the CZ-75, cosmetically altered to fool the uninitiated.

At this point, a collector could make a career out of just hunting down all the copies that exist of the CZ-75, and the funniest thing about it is that, except in the case of the Tanfoglios, he would consistently pay more for the copies than he would for a Czech!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Iagbarrb,

I am happy to hear you should be getting you new pistol shortly. From the info that Mr. Chris was able to provide us, it does indeed look like you will have a very nice shooter sir. When you have had the chance to shoot it, we would enjoy reading your range report/thoughts on how it works for you.

Enjoy it sir, as I don't really know this weapon, but it does appear to be a well-made one. You may even decide you want to use it in your competitve shoots as well. So we do look forward to hearing your thoughts when you can shoot it.

twoguns

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hy folks,

The papers from the ministry of defense are not ready Buaaaaa!!!!! :'( :'(

Maybe on Monday.

Today, I was in the armory that is importing the Bul , (we have only two armories) I had a Bul in my hands. WOW. Nice toy.

I have the history that was told me today about Bul. IMI (Israel Military Industries) was closed and privatized. The Company should be now a private company that is called BUL Transmark.

The Bul pistols are, according to what I was told, the followers of the Jericho, desert eagles and Baby eagles.

My gun will be a grand Cherokee, full size 9 mm. 17+1 rounds. Trigger weight 4,5 - 5,5 lb. Barrel length 111 mm (5 inches) -When are you going to start the international units in the US? The rest of the world uses the metric system-
Weight 705 grams. Total length 215 mm hight 140 mm
Firing System: DA/SA
Fixed Sights with white dots, similar to the Glock.
Slice metal. Frame polymer.

Seems to be that the Israelis have made a really nice pistol.

I have chosen this gun, because I had no other choice. The ministry of defense has authorized the import of this guns, and no others. and I have ordered it to compete in production division in IPSC, because with my Argie 9 mm I have less chances in standard division against the .40 and .45. I have to compete Standard because the HP is single action.

I also think the Israelis will not develop a bad gun. As far as I know, they make very nice toys.

I would suggest you to go to your armory and take a look at this pistol. I am the most unexperienced here in the forum, but I believe you will be surprised when you see and fire a Bul Cherokee. ::)

I guess I will be able to send you better scores with this gun, and be sure I will send you pictures.

If you have more comments, good or bad, I will be happy.

G

·
Now, I have a question:

What does it say to you when every company that wants to produce something they can market as a "new, groundbreaking design" that will "revolutionize the defensive handgun market," or some such rot, copies a design three decades old, puts their name on it, and acts like the original never existed?
It tells me that "creative marketing" is alive and well. ;)

At this point, a collector could make a career out of just hunting down all the copies that exist of the CZ-75 . . . . .
In fact that's been done, a long time ago. I have a book, The CZ-75 Family: The Ultimate Combat Handgun by a J.M. Ramos. Publication date: 1990. All of the items included (Bren Ten, F.I.E. TZ-75 , Excam Tanarmi TA-90., ITM AT-84 in two model variants, Springfield Armory P-9 in two model variants (I have one of these), Action Arms AT-88 in three model variants, Renata Gama SAB-G90 and SAB-G91, Jericho 941, Norinco NZ-75) were clones or semi-clones of the CZ-75, and all are now history.

When are you going to start the international units in the US? The rest of the world uses the metric system-
In the 1970's the government here tried to push the metric system on the citizenry. The public wouldn't accept it, so I guess we'll keep doing it the American Way.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yesterday at 20:01, iagbarrb wrote:When are you going to start the international units in the US? The rest of the world uses the metric system-

In the 1970's the government here tried to push the metric system on the citizenry. The public wouldn't accept it, so I guess we'll keep doing it the American Way.
Might be more correct to say America uses both English and Metric systems - we have .357" magnums, and 9mm pistols. ;) And lots of products use metric, like cars (e.g. bolts and engines) and appliances.

And the rest of the world does use the English system - when flying. Altitude, distance, and speed are done in English units, and voice is done...in English language. Some years ago a Canadian airliner ran out of fuel when they goofed up the calculation between metric and english measurements and shorted the fill-up.

As far as CZ clones go, I thought Armalite was marketing their AR-24 as a "retro"pistol rather than a ground-breaker -- an all-steel pistol in the age of polymer. They explicitly refer to the CZ and the Sig in marketing stuff I've seen.

The Bul Cherokee looks like an interesting pistol, tho not interesting enough to not buy another Hi Power instead!

elb

G

·
Armalite refers to the AR-24 as "taking elements" from the SIG and CZ designs, but they still act like they did something new with them, when in reality, that gun is pretty much a Pre-B CZ-75, with a reshaped backstrap to accommodate really small hands.

On the upside, this means that when my lady decides she wants a "real gun," she might have an option that I'm familiar with most smithing procedures for.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Armalite refers to the AR-24 as "taking elements" from the SIG and CZ designs,
I think they are forgetting that the CZ already copied "elements" of the S.I.G. which were purchased from the French, ala Petter.

In handguns, there is very little that is new... Even a GLOCK is more Browning than it isn't.

ITM AT-84 in two model variants,
They didn't go away, they became the Sphinx.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello iagbarrb,

We can't wait to hear when you have the BUL Cherokee in hand at last and get your first impressions of this fine pistol.

Since the BUL Cherokee is not imported into the US as far as I know, you'll be breaking "new" ground for us shooters here in the US.

Please post some pictures if you get a chance.

Chris

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
25 minutes ago, I picke up my brand new G. Cherokee Full size.

It has oil everywhere.

Should I remove the oil and put new one, or just clean and start firing?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. iagbarrb,

First congradulations on getting your new pistol sir. I sent you a pm with my suggestions.

When you have had the chance to shoot it we would love to hear your thoughts on it. As most of us in the US are not very familiar with your pistol, if you could post a pic of it, that would be great too.

Enjoy it sure, it looks like a real shooter.

twoguns

G

·
Should I remove the oil and put new one, or just clean and start firing?
The oil is a rust-preventative, not a lubricant, although it will serve that function to some degree. I would wipe it off the exterior surfaces and the slide and frame rails and use your favorite lubricant on these and the other moving parts. No need to go to the effort to try to remove all of the rust-preventative oil on or in the handgun (after all, you do need rust prevention), but just be aware that it's not much of a lubricant.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there iagbaar,

nevadaalan is correct. The oil the gun is shipped in is a rust preventative oil and should be wiped off with a dry rag. Most importantly, excess oil should be removed from the barrel before shooting.

I suggest that you field strip the BUL, wipe it down inside and out, and relubricate the slide rails, barrel hood, the outside of the muzzle where it contacts the slide with a quality gun lubricant before shooting.

Congradulations on your new handgun that you have waited so long for and we hope to hear about its first "debute" at the range.

Chris

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hy folks!

I am very happy to have the new gun.

Without previous try, because I had no time for it, I went to compete IPSC prduction category this Saturday. (Now I see it was a bad idea)

My first impressions: I can target much faster than with the Browning, because of the better quality of the sights. I also can fire faster.

I was able to place 10 shoots in 6 seconds, including unholster and loading. To load the magazine is a lot more comfortable than douing the same with the HP35

But I had a problem, that happened three times, which I think it is a big problem: The pistol jammed. I mean, the second or third bullet stayed in the way from the magazine to the chamber. This happened once in a long stage, one in a medium one, and one in a small. So my expected score crashed. Some of the folks told me that this was because I was not holding the pistol strong enough, so the recoil had not the strength to place the next bullet in the chamber. I have never had this problem with my Argentinian FM HP35, which is the only other pistol I have seriously fired with, and the only one I owned until now.

A second problem, was that when I loaded the magazine with 17 bullets, it was not so easy to lock the magazine in the pistol. I guess this is because the gun is too new.

The pistol is supposed to load 17 + 1. I have not loaded 17 + 1 because I didn't had the need in the stages this time. But this weekend I will try to load this way during practice. I don't want to load this way at home, because at home I do not feel safe enough to do that. I don't want to accidentally make a hole in the ceiling or wall, and even worse, explain my stupidity to some third world police officers that might visit me after the BANG.

I have not made accuracy shoots yet. I will report my results next week if there is no 150 m Bench competition this weekend.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy sir,

Since your competition was the first time you were able to shoot your new pistol, it may simply be that it needs to have more rounds fired through it to "break in". You bought your Argie HP used if I remember correctly, and then you have fired a lot of rounds through it too. So your Argie is broken in already.

I really think when you are able to fire more rounds through your Bul it will begin to run smoothly. Be sure you keep your wrists locked so you do not steal any of the recoil from the pistol it needs to function properly too my friend.

But it is a brand new gun right now, and while I am sure you are concerned with these malfunctions, I really think when you shoot it more, they will probably disappear.

Good luck and please let us know how the pistols continues to function for you over time. If the problems do not clear up, I am sure some of our members can offer some suggestions on things to look at.

Keep us posted my friend,

twoguns

1 - 20 of 46 Posts