Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good thing, amoung others, with this forum is that it gives ideas for range sessions...

So I took my belgian 1978 HP and my 1974 Colt LW Commander. Browning vs Browning, 9 mm vs .45 for a little challenge.

Shot about 50 of each caliber at 15 meters for accuracy and single reactive shoots, at 10 m. for multiple reactive shoots.

Impressive flame and bang (as with a snubby in .357) with the un-boxed anonymous 9 para sold at the range, but the BHP stays quiet and doubles easy as soon as I get used to the long, long, long trigger reset.

Heavy recoil with the LWC (my hand has now a small "snake bite" due to the sharp and short original tang) but multiples shots drills are much more instinctive with the dream trigger.

Grip, pointability, sights and safety (CS extended on the BHP) are on par.

Big difficulty is to change from the LWC to the BHP due, again, to the reset. So, for defensive efficiency (multiple shoots, caliber), I lean toward the LWC. Even if the slatestone finish and lines are more attractive on the BHP.

Conclusion: I have to fit a beavertail safety...

Bye

L..

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Larry,

I have a hard time shooting the 1911 and the High Power in the same range session for the reasons that you have already mentioned.

The transition from a relatively "short stroke" trigger to the longer HP trigger reset is the primary reason, but I have found that in a single range session with the HP I can master the trigger very quickly. Also, the HP has a more "comfortable" grip and lends itself to more "natural" pointability with my individual ergonomics.

The 1911 grip on my .45's needs to be fitted with "palmswell" panels for a more comfortable grip, but the 1911 allows me a "higher hand hold" with the right beavertail safety, (Wilson Combat has always been a favorite!).

Thank you for the range report and comparison. It is a very thoughtful comparison and thread.

Chris

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the comments, Chris,

I will post on the gunsmith section for suggestions to reduce the reset on a BHP.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I used to wonder what all the fuss was about concerning the HiPower's reset.
I shot 1911s some, but not as much as the HiPower. Then, in recent years, I started shooting 1911s more.
Then it really bugged me.

I'm getting better now at adjusting. I am trying to get so I can switch between the 1911 and HiPower, and adjust to the trigger by the feel of the gun. It's obvious which one is in my hands by feel, so you might think I'd "shift gears" to the gun's trigger also, but it doesn't happen that easy.
But I'm working on it.

I have a HiPower at a gunsmith (Yost-Bonitz) now getting several things done, one of which is a trigger job with shortened reset. I figure about the time I get a system worked out for switching between the 1911 and HiPower that gun will be done, and wreck everything. That's OK. A reason to practice.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all,

Thank you Flusher, your pic is collyre for my eyes - classic beauties. I really have to steal my wife's camera and post some too.

I must say that the reset getting slower with the mag safety enabled was a reason for me to keep it in the BHP.

I like Barry's conclusion: another good reason to train - and shoot.

Bye.

L.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Larry,

One of the reasons I practice with the BHP more than the 1911 is that the BHP is my first choice if I am going for a handgun in the house.

Since my practice time is only limited to one hour a week at the range, I try to stay "in shape" with the most familiar handgun(s).

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts