Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Austrian Landes Gendarmerie Kommando Kärnsten (Austrian National Gendarmerie Carinthia District) Issue # 0426, likely produced by FN circa '48...LGK adopted the BHP circa '49. Close-up pics of all the small markings...however indistinct/ill struck, (primarily small partial squares with a single number within) both inside and out would be definitive though. Concentrate upon the trigger guard root, firing pin tunnel, barrel lug, trigger, hammer, firing pin stop, thumb safety and slide stop.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the pix taken...

I have the next round of pictures taken, just haven't gotten the chance to upload them. I am currently off of work for a back and hip thingy, and be doing round robin w/ the doctor visits. Tomorrow an orthopedic surgeon in the morning...
Stay tuned sir; I'll be uploading them presently-
Thank you for all your help-
Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
'55 Hi-Power

Expound on that a bit, sir-
That '4196' is on just about Every Part of this sidearm. Would that also be the Serial Number as well? I am unable to find any other numeric identifier elsewhere.....
Thank you for all your legwork on this-
What would the approximate value of this FN product be? (I'm going to keep it, of course, but was wanting a number for insurance valuation.)
Mike Haines

·
Registered
12 Posts
One other question, subMOA

Do you know of a website discussion board like this that talks about L.C. Smith shotguns?
I have a 'twice barrel' 16 gauge I inherited from my Granddad, I think it is from about 191x or 192x.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Expound on that a bit, sir-
That '4196' is on just about Every Part of this sidearm. Would that also be the Serial Number as well? I am unable to find any other numeric identifier elsewhere.....
Thank you for all your legwork on this-
What would the approximate value of this FN product be? (I'm going to keep it, of course, but was wanting a number for insurance valuation.)
Mike Haines
Right from the get-go FN offered contract end users...buying in quantity, the option of "Contract" numbering their pistols, instead of accepting pistols taken from regular commercial production with regular commercial SNs...even though the pistols themselves might be identical. If you were the King of Itchcrotchistan in '52 and wanted your BHPs numbered from 7 to 7777, FN was happy to comply...in spite of the fact that regular commercial production SNs at the time were in the 40,000 range. Complicating matters further, FN would assign SNs in blocks, so there are SN's out of sequence. Finally, FN would produce more "Contract" pistols than the Contract called for...if the contact called for 1 through 4000, FN might produce and number 1 through 4200.

The subsequent pics you posted of 4196 show the FN Factory Part Date Codes I'd suggested and they indicate those particular parts were inspected/accepted in '55, meaning the pistol could not have been produced before that.

I'll leave the $$$ question to others though ;-)

·
Registered
4 Posts
just picked up a Hi Power from an estate sale. I was looking at the serial number and it begins with 511. The browning site says that the prefix for a 9mm after 1998 was 510. have they changed the prefix for the 9mm since 1998? Thanks.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts