1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Browning site doesn't include anything from John Inglis. I'm brand new to this forum and am trying to date my 2 Hi-Powers. One is serial # 4Txxxx and the other is 8Txxxx. The 4T gun has a decal on the grip in blue yellow and red with a maple leaf and Canada spelt in English Chinese and Russian.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
4Ts were produced from December 1944 and January 1945 (ending with 4T3047) then again in April 1945 (beginning with 4T3048). 8T series was produced sometime during August to October 1945.

A reference you should have is Clive Law's excellent Inglis Diamond; The Canadian High Power Pistol.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Edwin:

As you know, based on the pistol, there are Browning marked T series hi powers with numbers above the cut off indicated on the chart. Browning sold all their C series hi powers in 1969 and the immediately following years. Browning under estimated demand. At that time, the Browning/FN relationship was still customer/client. Browning ordered back fill mid-year those years. FN supplied them with T serial numbered pistols. The chart does not include pistols such as yours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It has a oval with crown with letters LG in side, this mark is on the barrel and on the trigger guard. It has a R on the barrel lug. And a second mark on the lug that I can't I'd. Might be an IV with a circle around it?
I bought it from A company in Monteral called century arms?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have one with the serial no. T293xxx. Do I take it that it was manufactured in 76? It is in NRA Excellent condition, but I hate the sights and small safety, but don't know if I want to modify it or not. I also have an FEG High Power copy that I upgraded and is my truck pistol, and it is accurate and functions great. But does not have the fit and finish of my Browning which is basically a safe queen now. Really don't know what to do.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Hello Popplecop:

The Short Answer is:

Your T series was made after the T26xxx shown by the chart for 1969. Someone knowledgeable could examine your Txxxxx and determine when the frame and slide were made. That year or years may or may not be dispositive as to the year the gun was populated with small parts and shipped. In any event, it is probably not later than 1972. Your pistol was FN back fill Browning ordered after all C series were spoken for in those years. The pistols were supplied by FN with FN serial numbers instead of the new Two digit year followed by a C. Browning either did not keep the records for those back fill T series or did not include the information in the chart.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In checking around trying to age my Browning Hi Power T series came up with 2 of them with higher serial nos. then listed. These were sold by the RIA (Rock Island Auction) in 2012. This is a high end auction house. One had the serial no. of T277067 and the other T263817. Looks like I might have to spend some money and send to Browning for a letter.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
The historian may have the answer on the phone. I am sure he gets questions all the time about mystery T serial numbers beyond the chart coverage. If you call him, please pass along whether he has the answer. It may help others to know if they archived the info about this particular range. I had two beyond the chart myself but was interested only slightly in year of production. Not sure if browning offers the pay per letter service like Colt. I saw where someone got the info by contacting FN.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Browning High Power WW2 Issue

I am trying to locate information on a Browning High Power that my father brought back from WW2, I even have all the paperwork that permitted him to bring it back. I would appreciate any information for the Fabrique Nationale listing of serial numbers from the WW2 time period. The serial number in question is 827804. Thanks for the assist.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oldie FN anyone know how old serial number 4196 would be?

Greetings to everyone!! I was searching for some information, please:

I inherited this pistol from my Father. All part srl #s match (4196) He said it was issued to an Austrian mail carrier, his name, 'Bruno' is on the box, as well. It is European in that the trigger is dis-engaged when the mag. is removed, and the mags don't 'drop free', either. I have 2 mags with the same serial number on them. Can anyone take a stab w/ any history, or a guess on the age of this fine piece?
Thanks in advance, for your replies-
Mike, a.k.a. 'Hainiac'

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
G'day Mike, welcome to the forum.

The markings, slide legend, proof marks, etc. tell more of the story than does the serial number. It would help if you could provide pictures - or at least, a description of any and all markings.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts