Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a (according to what the wholesaler, RSR, told a dealer) Japanese government overrun/reject/whatever S&W 37-2 from a local shop this a.m. After the Japanese didn't take them, RSR has been wholesaling them at loss-leader prices, and apparently my dealer got into one of them.

The new S&W 37-2 looks cute with my Ti Hideaway knife and my Surefire E2e

I paid the full sale price of $389 (they had marked it down from $459, which is still a good deal), which I figured that was a smoking good price for a brand new S&W J-frame (not the J-magnum-frame!) w/o the idiot lock or any MIM parts (even w/o the SA notch on the hammer). (Apparently the Japanese govt doesn't like MIM or the idiot locks any more than most of us do, although I admit I know so little about metallurgy that my prejudice against MIM is mainly just howling along with the rest of the gang of apes.)

There's been some fuss on the S&W Forum about whether these are +P safe or not. I figure I'd be fine using limited +P in mine - the same way I always used limited +P in my J-frames, regardless of when they were made. (Heck, if Elmer Keith could torch off some of the loads he reports in his 36 back in the '50s, and John Taffin as well in modern times, I'm fine with wussy factory +Ps.)

Anyway, the handloads that I carry in my Js are technically standard-pressure (at least acc. to the Speer Manual #12, but right at max). They'll throw the Rainier plated 148-gr WC at an average 896 fps out of the front of the 1 7/8" bbl that I tested them in (968 fps from the two 3"ers I tested). I'm not too worried about limited +P use, though, and actually plan to carry the more-anemic-than-expected 147-gr +P+ Federal HS load (897 fps out of my 3" guns; haven't tested it in the 1 7/8") in reserve (because the Hydra-Shoks are easier to feed quickly into the revo's chambers than my WC handloads).

My plated WC handloads are purty!

Amusingly, the S&W factory folk included a pair of idiot-lock keys with my no-idiot-lock 37-2. I deposited them in the same place as I did the fired cartridge case. ;)

Oh! And I went by Sportsmans Warehouse and got some Hogue Bantam stocks for the thing, since I HATE the way those Uncle Mike's/Butler Creek things they put on them fit my hands and since the Hogue stocks are even LIGHTER than the UM/BC ones. The gun is light (it was 12.5 oz unloaded before I switched the grips), even when loaded.

Look, Ma! No idiot-lock!

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Erich,

Wow!!! Great deal, no lock, price and all!!!

You are very discriminating in your choice of fine handguns. I do like the way the Hogue Bantam Grips set it off.

I can't wait for your range report!

Chris

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Your 37 is fine for +P ammo, Erich. The addition of the +P marking on the barrels of more recent J frames is as much a marketing strategy as anything practical.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the kind words, Chris. I'll have to wait a week to take it out, though. :-[

<blockquote>The addition of the +P marking on the barrels of more recent J frames is as much a marketing strategy as anything practical. </blockquote>

Well-said, Leland! :)

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Erich,

Well you are more patient then I am if you have to wait a week!

If your carry loads are going to be Federal HS's, what do you plan to practice with just out of curiousity? You wad cutter handloads are very nice and shiney! (and I bet they punch some pretty neat holes).

BTW, the Ti Hideaway knife looks absolutely wicked!

Great aquisition Erich!

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Chris,

I've got to wait a week because I'll be in Miami Beach!
So it's worth it!

The Ti Hideaway is one of those things that I don't know how I lived without before. Hands down, it's the best knife I own for full-time carry. Tiny, weightless, and viciously wicked, and easy to carry and conceal. Impossible to drop. Scary. It cost a fair chunk ($165), but it was custom-made for my hand size and I really think that was money well-spent.

Actually, I plan to carry those handloaded plated wadcutters that you see. The HS are just the reloads (because it's easier to get a somewhat-pointy bullet into the chambers than a wadcutter).

My whole fast-wadcutters-for-carry-in-snubs saga comes from reading Jim Cirillo's work and looking at the bullets he's licensed Safestop to make. Paul Gomez was bringing this up a lot around the web (on S&W Forum, THR, Total Protection Interactive), and he got me thinking. I asked John Taffin for advice on some of his handloads, and worked from there and wound up with the Speer Manual's hot Unique load under Rainier plated DEWCs (I tried Berry's WCs, too, and found they didn't perform as well in my guns - I plan on trying Haendler & Natermann plated WCs as soon as RoCo brings some into the country).

Anyway, that's probably WAY too much information, but feel free to drop me a line if you want my load info.

I'll probably be back around here tomorrow, and then it's off to Miami Beach until Saturday! :)

cheers, erich

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hey Erich,

I almost ordered Jim Cirillo's book, but passed on it. I think the reload idea is really neat and maybe I will have to check it out for loads with my 642.

By the way, you never give me too much information, because you always have so much good stuff to offer!

While you are away, I'll be shooting my new .45 SA Champion!! I'm going back to my shooting roots!

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was looking at a Champion yesterday - seems like the perfect sized gun.

Ugh. Christmas party to go to, and I'm already beat.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. V E R Y nice. I carried an old Model 37 for several years as a BUG. It had almost no anodizing left on parts of the frame! Very dependable. You have a nice one w/o the original contours too!

Best.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Please remember, Erich, that I have no family, and thus there will be nothing under my tree this year.

Do I seem pitiful yet? I hope so.

I wonder what dealer cost was? I have a friendly dealer who'll order stuff for me for $5.00 over cost.

G

·
I just picked up a (according to what the wholesaler, RSR, told a dealer) Japanese government overrun/reject/whatever S&W 37-2 from a local shop this a.m. After the Japanese didn't take them, RSR has been wholesaling them at loss-leader prices, and apparently my dealer got into one of them.

The new S&W 37-2 looks cute with my Ti Hideaway knife and my Surefire E2e

I paid the full sale price of $389 (they had marked it down from $459, which is still a good deal), which I figured that was a smoking good price for a brand new S&W J-frame (not the J-magnum-frame!) w/o the idiot lock or any MIM parts (even w/o the SA notch on the hammer). (Apparently the Japanese govt doesn't like MIM or the idiot locks any more than most of us do, although I admit I know so little about metallurgy that my prejudice against MIM is mainly just howling along with the rest of the gang of apes.)

There's been some fuss on the S&W Forum about whether these are +P safe or not. I figure I'd be fine using limited +P in mine - the same way I always used limited +P in my J-frames, regardless of when they were made. (Heck, if Elmer Keith could torch off some of the loads he reports in his 36 back in the '50s, and John Taffin as well in modern times, I'm fine with wussy factory +Ps.)

Anyway, the handloads that I carry in my Js are technically standard-pressure (at least acc. to the Speer Manual #12, but right at max). They'll throw the Rainier plated 148-gr WC at an average 896 fps out of the front of the 1 7/8" bbl that I tested them in (968 fps from the two 3"ers I tested). I'm not too worried about limited +P use, though, and actually plan to carry the more-anemic-than-expected 147-gr +P+ Federal HS load (897 fps out of my 3" guns; haven't tested it in the 1 7/8") in reserve (because the Hydra-Shoks are easier to feed quickly into the revo's chambers than my WC handloads).

My plated WC handloads are purty!

Amusingly, the S&W factory folk included a pair of idiot-lock keys with my no-idiot-lock 37-2. I deposited them in the same place as I did the fired cartridge case. ;)

Oh! And I went by Sportsmans Warehouse and got some Hogue Bantam stocks for the thing, since I HATE the way those Uncle Mike's/Butler Creek things they put on them fit my hands and since the Hogue stocks are even LIGHTER than the UM/BC ones. The gun is light (it was 12.5 oz unloaded before I switched the grips), even when loaded.

Look, Ma! No idiot-lock!
Cool beans! I love it!

Scott

G

·
Erich -

I can't tell from the pics, does the bobbed hammer have any checkering/knurling on it? Can it be thumb cocked for SA or is it strictly DAO, now?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I should have made that clearer in my post. The hammer has had the SA notch removed, so the gun is DAO. The DA is the smoothest I've ever felt on a J-frame, and among the smoothest I've ever felt on a S&W.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi erich,

Actually, you did mention in your original post that the single action notch had been removed!

Man, I can't get over how good those grips look on your revolver!

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Merry Christmas, Chris! :)

Well, it carries very well. Made the trip to FL and back without incident.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Erich,

Merry Christmas to you as well my friend!

I am glad to here you made it back home safely to NM.

Not to get off topic with this thread, but how did you carry it? Do you use a belt or pocket holster?

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actually, I used an IWB, a pocket holster, and my SmartCarry, depending on how I was dressed.

The Airweight really disappears in a pocket rig - very light. :)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I finally shot it today.

As one might expect, it jumps a bit. Nothing like the Rohrbaugh, though!

The DAO trigger was smooth as oiled silk, but I have to say the coil springs stacking at the bottom of the pull made it difficult to shoot accurately. I found that if I put a whole lot of effort into the trigger pull, I could shoot 1-1.5" groups at 30 feet. Otherwise, 3". It was not at all difficult to shoot 3" groups at 30', even rapid fire. Accuracy was elusive, though, unless I put a great deal more concentration into shooting this gun that I'm used to having to use on a J-frame.

The Hogue Bantam stocks were superb in helping to control felt recoil, btw.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Erich,

Just thinking.

If the mainspring is stacking at the end of the trigger stroke, replacing it with a Wolff might give it a lighter and smoother pull? I've never messed with revolver springs, but have smoothed the rebound block for a lighter pull.

It sounds like you have an excellent shooter!

Chris

1 - 20 of 30 Posts