Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I liked the 5" Tactical so much that today at the Hattiesburg Gun Show I took time away from the table to go pick up a brand new "Service" model XD. This one is two toned, with desert sand frame and black slide. I haven't had a chance to fire it yet, but I will in the next couple of days, weather willing.

I'm becoming an XD fan, I guess, but I'll stick to things like CZs, Brownings, and Berettas for my 9mm shooting.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy LelandRay,

Sounds like your gun show turned out to be even nicer than you had expected. When you have had the chance to "shoot her" please give us your thoughts.

We have yearly shoots with FLEOA, a national LE organization, that our local chapter puts on for its members. The hardest parts of organizing it have always been finding a suitable range that will let us set up courses of fire that many might see as a bit "different, odd, etc.", and finding sponsors who might be willing to help defray some of the inherent costs in running the matches.

We were lucky enough to find both, a new outdoor range in Tucson, run by a retired LEO, and my buddy who owns a gun store and holds LEOs and Military folks in very high regard. Gary brought a ton of guns and free ammo out, for folks to be able to shoot as sort of a side match. He offered that, and the match committee gladly jumped at it. He said he had often thought that would be an interesting side match. To bring out newer guns that most folks have never even held - so that everyone is shooting from the same level platform. That year we had a Kahr side match.

When all the matches were over, I helped him lug a ton of cardboard boxes from his truck. He began setting our various makes and calibers of assoted handguns and the ammo for them. He simply said ok folks - if you are going to pick up one you don't understand, all I ask is have someone who knows the gun give you a safety brief first. Here is plenty of ammo and I have more in my truck. Everyone really appreciated the chance to shoot guns they had been wondering about, but had never been able to shoot before.

Included in his offerings were several XD pistols and that was my first chance to ever shoot them as well. I am basically a steel framed pistol man at heart, but I was really impressed by the XD pistols. If I was ever going to stray from steel, these might be the cause. So I would enjoy your thoughs, and I know other memebers would too.

Enjoy it as I am sure you will sir,

twoguns

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, there's not much to say, other than I was pleasantly NOT surprised. In other words, the one magazine I fired this afternoon made the gun cycle and go BANG when called upon to do so. If I didn't believe in and like the gun, I wouldn't have a second. (Four BHPs currently, and I forget how many 1911s and K frame S&Ws, so you get the idea where this might be leading.)

Because I've gotten used to the XD, there wasn't any problem with contolling the trigger, which might be the first thing people used to another auto would notice. Oddly enough, though, the mushy, creepy trigger of the XD seems to improve my shooting rather than making it worse. One day I'll be able to verbalize why this is, but for now I'll just say that the platform works for me. (The trigger seems much lighter -- and smoother -- than most first shot DA autos I've used.)

That one mag today was fired strictly as a check to make sure everything worked, and it'll be at least next weekend before I get a chance to wring it out for real. I fired 13 rounds at a small tree downed by Hurricane Katrina, and which I've been cutting into stovewood with bullets. :) I used a scarred area as an aiming point, and all the rounds hit close by. My groups with the Tactical XD have gotten really, really good, and I expect no less from the Service model. (The Tactical is about to grow a set of Tritium sights in the next ten days or so.)

Recoil of the smaller gun was somewhat more pronounced, but the perception of recoil isn't bad at all, just as the Tactical model seems to have less kick than a 1911. Strictly subjective, certainly.

Anyway, that's it for now. Attached below is one of the early targets I fired with the Tactical. I've improved a good bit since then, and I have high hopes for the new shorty XD.

·
Registered
160 Posts
So what about that high-end 1911 you were looking for? ;)

Sounds like a nice gun. I need to get out and try and xd and an M&P and make some comparisons. (Not that I need to buy any more guns at the moment...)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ed, the M&P is totally outstanding. I've fired both the .40 and the 9mm versions and was highly impressed with both.

And I'm still committed to a nice 1911, but the XD was there and I had a spot of extra cash, so...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts