Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I took two .45s to Walter for Black T-ing. Things got kind of sidetracked with Katrina and all, but I spoke to him today and my guns will be ready for pickup in about ten days.

He is about a week behind in orders due to the storm. His power was out for several days, and there were a lot of trees down on his property, though none fell on the shop. He said one of the worst things was the loss of a pair of 200-year-old cedars at the entrance to the property.

When I get my vehicle fixed (pre-Katrina problem), I'll head up to Florence to get my guns. I'm taking him two more, one a kind of beaten up S series Smith & Wesson Model 58, and the other a Hi Power. It's my mid 90s black gun, and I'm going to have it done in two-tone, with olive drab frame and barrel, and everything else in black. I'll get two mags done in black as well.

I'm already salivating.

G

·
Pardon my ignorance, but what, precisely, is Black-Ting?

Does this fellow just do finishes, or can he do other work, too?

I'd like to have a little work done on my Hi-Power, and I've been looking for someone within driving distance who could do a really good job.

Edit:

Never mind. I googled Black-T. I've GOT to get my gun down to Florence.

Suddenly, I just became a little more glad to live in MS!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, we might not have the best of everything, but we have the best of SOME things. Where are you located?

I've been having vehicle problems, but I am sooooo impatient to get my two .45s back. Both are early 70s guns, one a full size Series 70 and the other a steel frame Commander.

From my perspective, having Mr. B in Mississippi less than two hours from me is an added financial benefit. I figure that gas would have to be about six bucks a gallon before FedEx got cheaper than hand delivering and picking up myself.

G

·
I'm in Starkville, at MSU. I'm actually from a little town called Noxapater, that's about eighteen miles north of Philadelphia. It's only about a 45-minute drive home for me, which is quite nice, considering I can't keep guns on campus.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, today a friend and I drove up to Florence to pick up my guns and leave off a couple more. Rather than tell a long story, I'll let the pictures do the talking. I figure I've not only extended the life of both of these early 70s Colts, but I've most assuredly made them prettier than when I got them. (Okay, so Walter Birdsong made them pretty and stuff, but I paid for the gas to go pick them up.)

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. He does do good work, doesn't he? I have a rifle finished in Black T and wish that more of my handguns were.

Best and thanks for letting us see the work on your pistols. They're grand.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have decided that because the weather is a bit cooler, and because I have the Ross carry holster for the full size gun, it will probably go with me tomorrow on my daily roaming around. Loaded with 230-grain Winchester SXT hollow points, the old Series 70 is a pretty good piece of hardware.

I'll put a mag or two of hardball through it before I leave the house, but I have a funny feeling it'll be just as reliable as when I dropped it off in Florence a couple of months back.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Leland,

Beautiful work and thank you for sharing your pictures with us. I particularly like the Colt Combat Commander. It turned out exceptionally nice.

I know that you will enjoy shooting and carrying them even more.

Chris

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Chris. I did change out the grips on the Commander, at least for the time being. I found a set of checkered grips off a Springfield that fit the Commander very nicely. They're reddish in color, much like the ones on the Series 70. I wish I could find another set like those so that I'd have "twins." :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's what I'm talkin' about! The matte finish looks great--very businesslike but elegant at the same time. Very nice brace of pistols!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went out and shot them a little while ago. They work just as well as they did before their rebirth.

Some of the internal parts were coated, but I haven't checked to see anything other than the recoil springs. I'll go look in a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello Leland,

Man they sure look good, and I know your glad to have'em back home.

Take Care Buddy & Congratulations,
Bob

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here you go, Rob. Don't tell anyone. ::)

W. E. Birdsong & Associates, Inc.
1435 Monterey Road
Florence, MS 39073-9748

(601) 939-7448

1 - 15 of 15 Posts