Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any road bikers here on this forum? I am talking about bicyclists here, not motorcyclists. I ride about 100 miles a month and more often than not carry a piece with me. My mainstay and lightest gun is an old SW M37. Even though it weighs only 15 ozs or so, it is kind of bulky for cycling shorts. I have been thinking lately about the P3AT. Mind you, I don't shoot dogs. This is more for protection against animals that one might find in a vehicle who can't resist messing with a bicyclist. I like the Beretta 21 in 22LR but ,again, it is kind of a bulky gun. Any suggestions? Weight is my utmost consideration, followed by power. Maybe I have that backward.

Matt

G

·
check under "Leather",,,, scroll down "Bicycle carry" we hamered this out pretty well a while ago , might find what your looking for, and yes you do have that backwards.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joe4d,
Thanks for the re-direct. I did find it and yes, that is what I was looking for. My discussion topic still remains: what kind of gun do other cyclists carry. I would like to hear some varying opinions.

Thanks for sending me to that previous discussion about how to carry. I had completely forgotten about fanny packs. What was I thinking?

Matt

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hey there.

I'm an avid cyclist. Many years ago I used to be a messenger in a city. Now I'm just a recreational rider, although with gas prices, I might start commuting again.
When I carry, it is a S&W M638 Airweight .38 spl. with Speer GDHP 135gr +Ps. Shooting while wearing bike gloves helps tame the recoil, it weighs only 15oz. or so, and it is mostly stainless and aluminum so it is somewhat resistant to the elements. It is the same revolver I front pocket carry in a Mika holster. On a bicycle I use a fanny pack that is not black, although it might be a good color with some bike shorts or road bike gear. I often carry a messenger-type bag, so I may contrive some kind of carry rig with one in the future. I also carry ID, my CHL, a debit card, a spare tube, and perhaps a power bar or something like that in a separate compartment. I have a dedicated pocket for reloads/speedloader. I have been chased many times by dogs, but have never had to fire at one. I also consider the firearm as for a different scale and type of threat one might encounter, although the bicycle should allow you to gain distance from any threatening situation.

I'd counsel evasive maneuvers, such as going the opposite direction on a sidewalk, cross-country routes through parking lots, parks, etc. where pursuers may not be able to follow, etc. As always, one may very well be under a life threatening situation, but a potential law suit will raise issues of de-escalation, the opportunity to flee, and so on. So train prudently and think about your possible defensive scenarios.

best, and keep the rubber side down,
--d.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts