Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Chris, I might have to think about this one. In general, though, I'd have to say that while the FEG is a bit more loosely fitted than the Browning Mark III, its functioning is quite smooth. Imagine if you will the difference between breaking a dry twig (Browning) and one which still carries some moisture (Hungarian). That's the difference in cycling the slides on the two guns. The finish on mine is also much better than what I've seen in the past, certainly better than the FEG I got rid of several years ago.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Leland, what kind of sights do you have on there? The look a little like Sig Sights.
Those are Trijicon tritium night sights. The gun originally carried the Millet high profile target sights, but they're too tall, too ugly, and too impractical for my tastes. So I knocked them off and put the Trijicons on there as the first step towards making myself a Browning carry gun.

And I'm just about finished... the final step is some more shakedown shooting.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
This one became something of a project, but it wasn't extensive. I changed out the safety and the grips. It's a fine shooter.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Back a step to the extra-power trigger springs. Wolff sells the MKII trigger spring as "extra-power" for the MKIII. I put one in my MKIII when I took the disconnect out. Is the C&S spring stronger than the Wolff spring?
I ordered 2 of the C&S to try, but I'd like another opinion. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I don't know about the Wolff spring, but the spring in my MKII is definitely stronger than the original factory spring in either of my MKIIIs, and the C&S spring is appreciably stronger than the one in the MKII.

Based on the positive reset that I feel with the MKII, I have no plans to replace that spring.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Good, thanks. If the C&S feels stronger than your MKII spring, it should do "extra-better" in my MKIII.

Now if only fnhipower.com would come back on-line.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello,

I'm 100% pretty sure that the extra power spring from C&S is made by Wolff Gunsprings, it's gonna be the same spring from either place you order it from.

Take Care,
The Sockman

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Leland,

Do you have any pictures yet of your finished carry gun? If so, I would love to see the finished product.

What grips did you wind up selecting? Just curious from my other posts. I did take the FEG PJK-9 HP out shooting and it is "shooting-in" and the action is a lot more smoother everytime I shoot it with about 100/+rounds per session. My Hungarian is much tighter than the Mark III. The Winchester White box is perfect for breaking it in and economical as well.

Chris

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hey, Chris.

I'm a big fan of Hogue wraparound grips for autos. I don't know offhand how many sets I own, but I use them on 1911 guns a lot.

Here's the BHP. Still not sure about leather, as the Ross will take a while to break in, but I don't have to be in a hurry. Currently I'm carrying it in a Dillon "Master" series holster.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello Leland,

You might want to try a Mitch Rosen 5JR-EXP, it's a open top belt slide with 1-1/2 inch belt slots. I have two of them, one for my .40's & one for my 9's, I personally think it's the nicest, under $100 dollar holster thats available for The High Powers, plus I really like the fact that Mr. Rosen makes one for the .40 HP's wider slide. www.mitchrosen.com

Leland, you got the reduced shank C&S hammer correct? Your hammer also appears to have deeper cocking serrations and a matt finish, not blued with fine serrations like the older C&S hammers for the HP, is this correct?

Your High Power really looks good, and I also like the "beveled" edges on the hammer.

Take Care,
The Sockman

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
That's the hammer, all right, item number CS197 on the C&S website. They call it the "No Bite Chamfered Hammer."

I'm going to take a break from buying stuff for this rig for now; truth is, my toys budget is done in for the next year or two. :)

I'll go look at the Rosen holster, but what I've got works really well now that I've got the safety issue taken care of.

G

·
Hello Leland,

You might want to try a Mitch Rosen 5JR-EXP, it's a open top belt slide with 1-1/2 inch belt slots. I have two of them, one for my .40's & one for my 9's, I personally think it's the nicest, under $100 dollar holster thats available for The High Powers, plus I really like the fact that Mr. Rosen makes one for the .40 HP's wider slide. www.mitchrosen.com

Leland, you got the reduced shank C&S hammer correct? Your hammer also appears to have deeper cocking serrations and a matt finish, not blued with fine serrations like the older C&S hammers for the HP, is this correct?

Your High Power really looks good, and I also like the "beveled" edges on the hammer.

Take Care,
The Sockman
+1 on the 5JR, I have one for my BHP and my 5" 1911 and it's a fine range holster. With proper attire, it's a good CCW holster, although I've been converted to IWB for most of the time....I have found Mitch and his wife Nancy both a pleasure to deal with, as well.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.