Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all,

I was thinking this afternoon about all of the handguns I have bought, shot, collected, sold and traded over the years.

Some I have done fairly well with and some not depending on the action type, caliber and ergonomics of the firearm.

So, I got to thinking this afternoon, I carry a revolver quite a bit of the time-a S&W 642 and practice and shoot it less than my other semi-automatics. I fair well with it, but don't shoot it the best.

On the other hand, I shoot BHP's and their clones quite well. And if the truth be known, should probably carry this firearm more than the revolver. I fair less well with 1911's even though I have owned my fair share of them.

So here is the question, "are we better off staying with one handgun over another because of our commitment to practice, shooting ability and preference for ergonomics?

Chris

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Yes.

The flipside of this equation is just how much fun you can have achieving proficiency with another gun. I don't believe that anyone should practice with only one gun, even if he only owns the one. I believe that you should shoot and handle as many different designs as possible, if only to learn how to load and unload them, along with how to manipulate manual safeties, slide releases and other features. (I hate those "experts" at gun shows and in shops who demonstrate their proficiency by breaking something.)

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Chris, Here's the deal. I carry a BHP daily. 90% of my practice is with a BHP. The other 10% is with anything that strikes my fancy, including revolvers.

Why? Well, when pucker factor hits the Richter scale readings I want instinctive reactions to work for me and not againist me.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Chris,
back in the "cowboy days" one gun was the main carry, or maybe the rifle counted as two. They mostly had revolvers to choose from and found one they liked and that was it. When John Browning came along he really changed things by introducing his semi-auto pistols in several calibers. Now today we have semi's, wheelies, and even derringers in a multitude of calibers, styles, and so many brands that the internet gun sites are filled with "caliber wars" and forums for every brand of gun there is, almost.
You can really get confused reading all what's out there. Several years ago I got confused too (and maybe still am) so I started playing with my wetpack tests to see what different calibers and ammo would do. Reading some of the better articles by guys like Camp (know him?), Fackler, Ayoob, Patrick, etc. and even the M&S books (heaven help us), gives a better perspective on the subject. Firearms Tactical, Goldenloki, and the old Ammo Lab had excellent gel test to compare. And old Carmen Crapson's waterjug tests on "Steve's Pages" rounded out the ballistics info. Even now we have a new one, the "Box of Truth" pages with wall board tests.
My conclusion after reading all this stuff available several times (staying away from the magazine stands), and looking at my own tests says, no, one gun is not enough for this modern age with different threats we now face. Each of us faces a different environment. My situation is not the same as yours. LEO's face a different world than us civilians.
I'll conclude by saying, I can't tell you the best handguns, or long guns, for you to own or carry. And no one can tell me. Those of us on this forum have a wealth of knowledge and experience and have pretty well decided by now on what's best for us, individually. I feel sorry for the newbies buying a gun the first time at a dealer who only cares to make a sale of some used POS that he took on trade. I see many of these pitiful types at the range every time I go. Blasting away at 25 yds, not hitting the paper, and wondering why they're having malfunctions without a clue what to do about it.
I've got stung by that too "been there done that" and rarely buy used anymore. We all have, look at the thread on buyer's remorse.

This site, and only a very, very few others, serve to reinforce my meager understanding and provide confidence in my choices. {I enjoy the "garbage dump" (GlockTalk) just for fun, but not much of use otherwise.} I doubt I'll ever "know it all" and probably change again, like you, wondering why I've traded so many guns over the years.
That's the fun of it, I guess.
Thanks again, Stephen and Josh, for a worthwhile gun site.
Cheers,
og

G

·
I carry one, HP, 90% of the time. The other 10% is a 1911. I practice drawing the HP from a sholder rig every day. Practice drawing the 1911 from a hip rig each week. Shoot both each week and am good with both, i.e. 2 inch groups out to 15 yards. The HP just fits my hand best and that is one of the reasons I like it best.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there all,

Yes, I will admit that it is challanging to shoot something different each time I go to the range to test the limits of my skills and shooting ability.

And OG, I've seen many first time handgun buyers pick up handguns based on "hear-say" as to what is the most effective handgun without ever firing a shot through it-only to return it for something else and lose lots of money in the process. For example, there are two slightly used Bersa's that were purchased by a couple at a local gunshop that have been resold to the shop and are now sitting in the used handgun case.

Its ironic that a lot of new shooters go to the range and maybe fire a couple of magazines of ammunition through a friend's handgun and decide that is what they want to own and shoot.

OG. You are right. I don't bother with reading slick magazines anymore and looking at gourgeous color photo's of the latest/greatest handgun on the market. I even read the range reports in the "American Rifleman" with a jaundiced eye knowing that it basically a "manufacturer's" showcase in return for advertising dollars. "Did you ever notice how coincidently a manufacturers ad appears when their product is being tested in that section of the magazine?"

My preferences have changed with time. Now, I look in the shops and look for older/gently used handguns. I guess that wisdom comes with age.

However, my shooting skills have also changed over time as well as my desire to tinker with firearms on a budget.

Chris

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hi, Chris,
yes, the slick gunzines have really appealing covers always with a come-on about the "latest" handgun/rifle/ammo they have "tested" for you to read about. Went by WalMart yesterday and looked at all the gunrags in the magazine stand but didn't buy a one. All hype and no truth. Maybe if the weather gets really bad and I'm stuck inside I might give in and get one just for something to read. Otherwise, best advice, is avoid it.
og

Oh, BTW, in case you've wondered why I refer to a certain gun site as "the garbage dump", here is an example of what goes on there.....

good for laughs anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Og,

I'm sorry I deleted the link.

I feel that we here should uphold a higher morality. That includes bringing up other forums when the creator(s) isn't here to defend himself.

Thank you for understanding sir.

Josh <><

·
Registered
720 Posts
OK, Josh,
even old og is guilty at times.
just hate the stupid caliber wars on the internet.
best if I just ignore them.
Cheers,
oldgranpa

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Og,

Thanks for your understanding sir.

Also, that brings up something else, off topic a bit but needs to be said, if any of the membership here sees me doing something I shouldn't, call me on it please. It's a two way street.

I don't have the years on me yet to stay mellow as I should sometimes.

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi there all,

In spite of everything I have tried, the BHP still seems like the best shooter for me. I am working on trying to get back into the .45/1911 pattern pistol, but the grip is taking me some getting used to again.

Chris

·
Registered
392 Posts
with the issue of ccw, the weather plays a bigger role on what i carry.

in a duty holster, a full sized gun all the time is fine. but in July and August with the family at the park, a small tucked away piece is more viable.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Jerry,

As in Alabama, the climate here in SC dictates what I carry or often than not most times of year.

However, the S&W 642 just keeps get getting carried more and more regardless of the weather and temperature!

A BHP or 1911 are just too hard to conceal at the beach 3 blocks from my house when I take the dog for a walk or go to watch my kids surf!

Chris

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi OG,

Usually I carry the 642 in my strong side pocket using the Galco PT-158 front pocket carry horsehide holster. Someday's I will also substitute the DeSanties Nemesis for front pocket carry if I am wearing lighter weight trousers/shorts.

Chris

G

·
I never put much faith in the old saw "Beware the man with one gun". Beware the man with a reloader! I don't care how many guns you have; you aren't going to get very good using factory ammo unless you are extremely wealthy. I only know one top shooter who doesn't reload. He was sponsored by a major pistol MFR and got all the factory ammo he wanted to practice with. Everybody else reloads. 30,000 to 50,000 rounds a year is a serious habit.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I rode the Firearms Ferris Wheel (to quote Louis Awerbuck) for a while, and probably still do to a minute degree.
For the most part though, I've settled on four handguns, but they are very similar.
I keep my eyes open, though.

There are a couple of reasons for this-

1- The obvious, something "better" may come along. You never know, there may come a gun as simple to operate as a 1911, shooting a powerful cartridge, with no recoil, holding 700 rounds, fits every hand, and never breaks because it has no moving parts. Seriously, I like what guns I choose to carry, but none are perfect. There is always room for improvement. Perhaps someone will improve them.

2- I want to be functionally familar with as many guns as possible. Maybe the time I need a gun the most is the one time I don't have one. What if I come out of the shower in a hotel (unarmed), a man is trying to rape my wife, and his Sig is closer than my own 1911? If I had only used a 1911, and picked up a Sig, I might waste time looking for the thumb safety.
I don't really care for the AK47/AKM series, but got one anyway because I wanted to familarize myself with the weapon. The odds of running across one in the hands of an enemy are getting higher every day.

Yes, beware of the man with one gun. But that man needs to ensure he always has that one gun.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can see the value in getting really comfortable with one gun, and I know some who have. I have a friend who is an LEO and she only shoots Glocks. Carries a G22 on duty, with a [email protected]& as BUG and a G23 for offduty. Say that after getting really familiar with the Glock, no other pistol feel right. On the other hand, you may not always have you favorite gun on hand. To quote Robert Heinlen: "Specialization is for insects".

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Gents,

Owning one gun would just be plain BORING. I have and shoot many. That said, my most used pistol is my 1911. Have been playing with the new SIG because it's, well, new. Got to learn it.
Have shot the 1911 for years...it's my "one gun" for now.

Wes

1 - 20 of 25 Posts