Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not exactly sure where to put this.
I just dropped my bottle of Birchwood "Bore Scrubber" and now have the "opportunity" to try something new. Any suggestions for a top cleaner that's good for both copper and lead fouling?

·
Regulator,
2,353 Posts
Hi JonnyC
I'm sure there are a zillion preferences on bore cleaners. A gunsmith buddy introduced me to one that works very well. You simply do a 50/50 mix of Hoppes Bench Rest Solvent and Kroil. I've used it a lot on high powered rifles as well as pistols and it seems to get the copper out as well as anything I've tried. It's expensive, but you wind up with two jars full of it the same size as the Hoppes jar, so I keep one in my range box and one at home. You'll get a LOT of answers to this one!! "Best.

JayPee

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

I've been a Hoppe's #9 fan for years, but recently switched to Butch's Bore Shine and the Butch's works great!

However, I've also been a fan of Breakfree CLP and use that more than not.

Best,

Chris

·
Regulator,
2,353 Posts
JonnyC

Adding to what Chris said about Break Free......during my years with the California Highway Patrol, Break Free was the only substance allowed on any departmental firearm. They have around 7,000 handguns, a similar number of shotguns, and several hundred AR's. So it's good stuff indeed.

JayPee

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I like Shooters Choice for my long guns bores but I generally use only Break Free for my handguns. I do use a high quality grease (like the red Shooters Choice stuff) for rails, lugs and outside the barrel at the muzzle. My rich Uncle Sam used to provide CLP for everything from M16s to 8" howitzers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My rich Uncle Sam used to provide CLP for everything from M16s to 8" howitzers.
I wonder if we're related? We seem to have the same Uncle!

I can't remember the name of it, but it was an impregnated cloth that you could cut into patches. It seemed to be very effective in removing lead deposits. That and CLP seemed to work very well.

R/
DocV

·
Registered
525 Posts
[quote:v854mq45]My rich Uncle Sam used to provide CLP for everything from M16s to 8" howitzers.
I wonder if we're related? We seem to have the same Uncle!

I can't remember the name of it, but it was an impregnated cloth that you could cut into patches. It seemed to be very effective in removing lead deposits. That and CLP seemed to work very well.

R/
DocV[/quote:v854mq45]

I had an Uncle like that for 22+ years... he still pays some of my bills...

About that cloth -- I have a yellow impregnated cloth by Birchwood Casey, called "Lead Remover and Polishing Cloth." That what you are talking about? I use it sparingly, bought it years ago, but occasionally I cut off a piece for a patch and use it to clean the bore. I don't shoot lead-only bullets, only jacketed.

Normally I use Hoppe's 9 followed by a spray can of GunkOut for guns or similar. Militec-1 to oil with.

elb

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yup. That's the stuff. I don't use it for regualr cleaning, but I have had a few second hand pistols that it worked removing built up gunk and cleaning the cylinder face. I pretty much only shoot jacketed rounds except in my .44 and .38 that I reload for.

Uncle pays all my bills right now. I expect my allowance to be cut in half in about 18 months.

DocV

·
Regulator,
2,353 Posts
Not too long ago Armalite Corp. and the Army's Rock Island Arsenal conducted a joint study to see which commonly available substances can be successfully used to clean and lubricate auto rifles. The study came as a result of real jamming problems in the more primitive countries where cleaning materials weren't available. The conclusions were that common automotive Automatic Transmission Fluid is the best solvent and light lubricant usually available in most locations, while the best lubricant available on that basis is synthetic motor oil. According to the post I read, the Army has written the latter into its maintenance regs as the substitute standard for CLP.

So I tried both. I have cleaned a number of well-dirtied-up AR-15's and auto pistols with the ATF, and I now only use Mobil 1 for lubrication. The ATF works just as well at brushing firing residue from actions and bores as anything I've ever tried, and a young friend fresh back from Iraq says he has cleaned a number of M2 .50's with it as well. I don't believe it will remove copper from barrels, or at least the study didn't mention it, so I still use a good bore cleaner for that. I'm keeping the ATF regimen as a backup to the ocean of GI Bore Cleaner I've somehow inherited.

I told a gunsmith buddy about the synthetic motor oil findings whereupon he grinned and pointed to the quart of Mobil 1 SAE 5W20 above his bench......he's been using it for years. So right now my lube regimen is to lube the AR's with Mobil 1 SAE 20W, and to lube auto pistols with the same product in SAE 5W20, which is just a bit lighter. (My auto pistols are all 9mm's and .40's.) I have also used the SAE 20W on both pistols and rifles without a problem, but just prefer a little lighter oil on the handguns. So until I can see evidence that this isn't working as well as gun oil, I'm sticking with it. There's no evidence of that so far.

The source of this information is an authoritative post by an engineering-type on AR-15.com about a year and a half ago who had access to the study's results. Best to all.

JayPee

1 - 11 of 11 Posts