Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of what I read about Beretta 92 is positive, but there are hints around that the 96 frame is not strong enough for the power of the 40 S&W. And I have read that the frames are actually identical. And, some have suggested a 96 can be converted to 9 mm with a new barrel and magazines. Could a 92 be converted to 40 S&W?

What does the group think about this?

Thanks

George

· Administrator
643 Posts
Almost all 40 S&W firearms can be converted to 9mm, but the reverse isn't usually a good idea, as the frames aren't robust enough to handle the additional recoil. An illustration of this would be the BHP. The frames are identical dimensionally, but they went to a cast frame as the earlier forged frames couldn't handle the additional recoil of the 40 S&W. Browning/FN 40 S&W slides won't go all the way onto 9mm frames.

Sig has the same issues with their P series of handguns.

I don't know about the Berettas.

· Registered
227 Posts
Yeah, you could do it. However, as mentioned regarding the Hi-Power, the 92/96 went through a lot of options to increase the life of .40 S&W versions over the years. While they all probably helped to some degree, the gun is really better suited to 9mm.

• slanted dust cover/frame
  • Brigadier slide
  • 90-Two/92A1/96A1 frame buffer

So, if you have a slanted dust cover 92, or one with a Brigadier slide, or a 92A1, you may have better success with your project. If you have a straight dust cover 92, it is probably the worst option.

This is currently the high point in the life of the Beretta 90 Series guns. There has never been a time when we had this many great options for the gun. However, with all these great 90 Series options, the only .40 S&W gun in the entire line-up is the 96A1. I suspect this gun is still in the line-up to fulfill some kind of contract somewhere in the world from somebody that wants to shoot .40 S&W out of a Beretta 90 Series gun.

I always get the feeling if you want to shoot .40 S&W out of a Beretta gun, Beretta would rather you choose a PX4 or APX.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts