Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

This is an opinionative question.

When I am of age (18), I am going to carry a pistol.
What do you think is the best of pistol for me and why?

- Chris

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Johnny C,

Hello sir.

Christopher is from Wabash IN same as myself.

Though at 18 we cannot buy handguns as it would contradict Federal law, we can apply for and are granted, as a must issue state, handguns which are purchased by close relatives- mother, father, sister, brother.

I began carrying at age 20 after deciding that I was not mature enough at 18. (Zen riddle there?)

Anway, Chris, listen and listen well. I've told you that if you decide to carry, your mode of dress and unwillingness to change it to fit a "carry lifestyle" dictates a compromise in weapons. You cannot effectively conceal my Taurus 92 in a secure fashion.

Observing the way you dress you most likely would want to go with a 2" K-frame in an IWB leather holster. The K-frame can be a .357 or a .38, but I believe you'd get along better with the .38 and Hogue grips best.

The reason for this is that controllability is the name of the game. You can shoot magnums all day long in a snub but if you don't hit anything it's not effective.

However, if you can put 6 rounds of anything COM you're doing good.

IOW, begin with the revolver. If, after a couple years, you decide you want an auto, be my guest. The revo will have served its purpose.

Josh <><

G

·
It's a long discussion topic you bring up, and I usually don't do this, but I'll refer you to an article I wrote on my website about selecting a gun.

http://www.concealedcarry.info/forum/index.php?showtopic=16

You may want to read the others in the CHL Primer area also.

The gun needs to match the person, but most importantly the person needs to match the criteria of a gun toter. Otherwise you will end up like so many CHL owners that don't carry a gun because it's no longer fun.

G

·
Hey Christopher;
One thing you're going to want to do is have a talk with yourself. Ask yourself why you want to carry a gun. Is it need?...Want? You have to be dead honest with yourself.
The solemn responsibility of carrying something that can easily cause injury or death to you or someone else is sometimes lost on the young.
I'm not disparaging your youth...just acknowledging it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey Christopher;
One thing you're going to want to do is have a talk with yourself. Ask yourself why you want to carry a gun. Is it need?...Want? You have to be dead honest with yourself.
The solemn responsibility of carrying something that can easily cause injury or death to you or someone else is sometimes lost on the young.
I'm not disparaging your youth...just acknowledging it.
Frenchy,

Great post and one that even gives me at age 60 and a person who has carried on their job for many years pause for thought.

Christopher,

Lots of wisdom contained in Frenchy's post and well worth a second consideration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts