Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Picked this up last week and have shot it twice now. I like it a ton. I looked over four of them and managed to find the one with the best trigger and the tightest bbl/cyl gap. It shoots pretty fast for a 4" .22 lr - and it's one of those odd guns that shoots much better offhand than off a bench.

Last Saturday, it was unpleasant shooting in a 20 mph headwind at 38

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Great post Eric. This is the second one of these I've seen in a week. I wonder if that's telling me I need to get one?
I have been looking for another .22 pistol lately.
Gib

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Erich,

Excellent report as usual Amigo!!

I am very happy for you and your latest aquisition. Now, you get lots of time with some old fashion Western style plinking at a affordable price!

Very, very cool Bearcat!

Chris

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Cool. Neat gun.
I have one of the older ones, but have only had it about ten years. I think you have already shot yours more than I have mine!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Absolutely a sweet little gun. I think the second model Bill Ruger put on the market, after the Single-Six. I remember being torn, at fifteen, between the Single-Six, the Bearcat, and the Colt Frontier Scout. My dad let me buy the Scout, which better fit my hand, and I still have it, some forty years later, but you're making me think I should revisit my earlier desires, which is scary, although not as expensive as trying to restore a '56 Chevy. (This appears, from your pictures, to be later gun, with the transfer bar. I didn't realize the Bearcat came in this configuration. Are the original guns, with the three-position hammer, scarce as hen's teeth?)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Good report on a fine revolver. I have the Single-Six that I got back in 1977. I have taught my kids and now grandkids to shoot with it. Plus it's put more than a few squirrels and few sitting rabbits in the pot. Great pictures Mr Erich.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, gents: I'm going crazy waiting for the stag stocks to be delivered!

Also, a friend on another forum tells me that he chrono'd Aguila Interceptor 40-gr solids at over 1200 fps from his Bearcat!
(I've got some on order! ;))

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Eric,

Way cool! I've always been a fan of the Bearcat. Your's makes me want to run out and buy a new one. Luckily, I have one of the original 17 oz. versions with the brass trigger guard. We are both lucky.

Wes

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The stag stocks are on order from Sack Peterson (Google him for his site). The Aguila Interceptor arrived yesterday (Midway just flat-out kicks butt for customer service!) and will hopefully fly over a chrono today. :)

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Erich,

Amigo....you know this just has to be followed by some pictures!

I just can't wait to see your stag grips!

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alas, the Aguila Interceptors performed very erratically from my Bearcat. I plinked with it for almost an hour today, though, and really had a ball.

The Interceptors worked well (average 1399 fps) from my Remington 597 and grouped into an inch (at present POA) at 50 yards, though. Glad that I have them for the rifle.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Looking at this thread for the past few days got the best of me, and I shot my own Bearcat today. I don't recall exactly the last time I shot it, but it was right before we moved here...eight years ago.
Shame on me.

But hey- thanks for coaxing me into the fun time I had today, Erich!

Now, where's that cute little holster I started making?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts