Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have some patience with me for asking this question, but what is a "BBQ gun"? I've seen several references to this on the forum and I have got to know.

Matt

·
Registered
287 Posts
Don't feel bad, I didn't know either. Down in the "south" it's when you take your fanciest pistol to the big bash or BBQ. You can also call it your "pimp" gun. Bill

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wait a second there, Bill. I live in the South. How come I've never heard the term? Perhaps I've been traveling in the wrong circles. Do people take their fancy guns there to show off, or are there shooting games to while away the hours? Sure sounds better than visiting with relatives...

Matt

·
Registered
430 Posts
BBQ is kind of like your "Court" gun. It's basically a fancy pistol you wear in a fancy holster (think engraving and floral carving here), to whatever important shindig you need to attend.

Example:

You've got to attend a wedding, will your S&W 642 snub really do? It's a special occasion, so break out your engraved, ivory/pearl handled, nickel plated 1911 or Smith N-Frame, and your hand floral carved leather holster and strap that baby on!

That's what a BBQ/Court/Pimp gun is.

-Rob

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Pimp guns have pearl; BBQ guns have ivory.

Closest things I have are a 1908 Colt Pocket Pistol in bright nickel or a 5-screw M&P snub in nickel. Need fancier stocks for the latter.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have a couple of guns that I wear for BBQ'ing.

One is a SAA, the other a 1917. One looks new, one is well worn with "history" and appropriate marks and stamps. It all depends on my mood.

I like BBQ's and BBQ Guns. It gives us something to talk about while the womenfolk make egg salad. :)

Biker

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Matt

A BBQ gun is something I discovered could be found in the Republic of Texas way back in the mid-70s. My first duty station was at FT Hood in the center of Texas and my old Dad's Sergeant Major invited me and the new wife over. Pop had spend a lot of WWII in the Republic and had developed warm friendships with the native Texicans. Anyway, I found a lot of things out that Saturday.

BBQ here in the Southeast is a bit of pig cooked very slowly over hickory served with fried chicken. It is eaten while wearning khakis, a polo shirt and docksiders. If one is armed, one generally carries a J-Frame concealed. BBQ in New Jersey means they are grilling out.

In the Republic of Texas, BBQ means sausage or beef cooked very slowly over a mesquite fire with a side of beans and fat meat. The prescribed uniform is handmade boots of exotic leather, a Western style shirt over jeans and a Cowboy hat that costs as much as a fellow can afford. The trousers are held up with a fancy carved Ranger Belt with a Mexican silver buckle set and a holster to match.

In that holster one sees a fine hand engraved S&W large bore revolver or Colt M1911 stocked in horn or ivory. There is also the odd Colt Python to be seen but these were Army folk and not oil barons. The gun may be blue or nickle.

When the men folk are not actively eating or drinking Lone Star (the National Beer of Texas unless you went to A&M when you drink Pearl/Scheiner), they compare guns. It is inappropriate for a non-Texican to appear in such unless they have gone native. However, I believe with the permission of the Governor, one may have BBQ guns in the Commonwealth. After all I have been to Austin to see Stevie Ray Vaughan and Thunder Ranch Texas!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm working on saving up enough cash to get the ivory handled, mirror finished, blindingly beautiful version of the BBQ gun! I have one though - my Combat Commander .45, scratched, pitted, and all. I wear it when I use the BBQ. I've got a large black bear that is all too friendly around these parts (North Carolina), and he likes to stroll around, knocking over my bee hives, and sniffing my burgers and steaks while I grill em up! So...I wear my BBQ gun. :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Matt

When the men folk are not actively eating or drinking Lone Star (the National Beer of Texas unless you went to A&M when you drink Pearl/<s>Scheiner</s>), ....
That would be Shiner (http://www.shiner.com/), my eastern friend!
and a fine set of brews they make!

(wouldn't surprise me if it was spelled Scheiner way back when, with all the German names around here.)

elb

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
ELB, I stand corrected. Once can only claim a short exposure to the Hill County as pure ignorance. I have never had any respect for anyone who could not spell the same word three or four different ways in the same sentence! An a fine beer it is as I recall - a Bock if memory serves.

Being indigenous to those general parts (The Republic is a very big place), pehaps you could outline the difference between a true BBQ gun and a fully pimped special like an engrave and plated HiPointe with mother of pearly grips? Clearly there is some point of taste here.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Now you know why Jerry Jones has the Dallas Cowboys instead of a harem.Just about anybody can round up a harem.

·
Registered
430 Posts
ELB, I stand corrected. Once can only claim a short exposure to the Hill County as pure ignorance. I have never had any respect for anyone who could not spell the same word three or four different ways in the same sentence! An a fine beer it is as I recall - a Bock if memory serves.
A Bock, Lager, Kolsch, Hefeweizen, Dunkelweizen, and a couple of others.
My past time besides shooting, is Shiner.

-Rob

·
Registered
525 Posts
Being indigenous to those general parts (The Republic is a very big place), pehaps you could outline the difference between a true BBQ gun and a fully pimped special like an engrave and plated HiPointe with mother of pearly grips? Clearly there is some point of taste here.
Alas, I am not truly indigenous -- Uncle Sam brought me here too, in 1998, and I "Texanized" as rapidly as possible: CHL, land, horses, pick up, VFD, stopped paying state income tax, etc. Alas I have not investigated BBQ guns to nearly the depth I have BBQ and Shiner! (That's why I piped up on the Shiner and not the guns)

In fact, wife's Valentine's Day present to me was going to be driving to Shiner and investigating the Spoetzl Brewery, but unfortunately a migraine floored her before we could get going. Make-up date is soon.

Me, I like the floral engravings on the Hi Power, but would tone down the gold small parts, and probably go for exotic wood for the stocks -- maybe a Haken Pek special.

elb

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
The grips are from Don Collins.

The 520 was designed and built for the New York State Police in 1979-1980 as an homage to their well worn Model 20 revolvers, the 38-44 Heavy Duty. They apparently wanted something similar, and S&W built 3,000 .357 Magnums with fixed sights on the .44 N frame to replicate as closely as possible the Model 20. Unfortunately for them, (and fortunately for me), they then decided to go with the new Model 681, which was an L frame with full barrel underlug in stainless steel. For a short time I had one of those marked NYSP but sold it when I realized that proceeds from such a sale could go a long way towards the purchase of a 520, which even two or three years ago was getting kind of rare and very pricey. Many of the 520s got converted to calibers like .44 Special, .45 Colt, and .41 Magnum, though I used to know a fellow who had converted one to .41 Special, a shortened version of the .41 Magnum.

Currently a 520 in new or near new condition brings from $900 - $1,000 on the auction sites, but this one is not for sale, certainly. I go to an occasional BBQ, after all.

G

·
Thanks for the prompt reply, LelandRay. That is a great piece of firearm history you have there. I understand why you treasure it.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
1) All of Leland Rays stuff is top notch! A man of taste, education and distinction. An artist and gentleman.

2) ELB, some are born Texicans and some become Texicans by dint of hard work. In your honor today, I purchased a six pack of SHINER BOCK at the Class VI Store. Many of my fellows at FT Hood went native there in the Republic. One guy from MD (I don't blame him) and another from GA (I was born there for the convenience of the Army and will embroider no more).

3) RandomMan - is the Peoples Republic of Austin still Weird? My A&M friends considered it to be the font of all evil. I personally bought many a fine firearm in Georgetown, ate much TexMex and loved SRV. He would have had a BBQ gun. I will keep watching Austin City Limits - even if it is made by Tea Sips!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
1) All of Leland Rays stuff is top notch! A man of taste, education and distinction. An artist and gentleman.
I don't look so good when I'm blushing. Come to think of it, I don't look so good asleep, either. Or wide awake, for that matter, but thanks for the creative lies.

You know, I have another BBQ rig, but Hannibal the K-9 Terrorist ate two inches off the muzzle end of my custom made K. C. Miles holster.

This is an S&W Performance Center Schofield I bought to replace a near mint condition S&W 3rd Model American I sold back in 1975.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts