Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Steve;

This has always amazed me. I have long questined the rationale behind the .357 Sig (not running down the round but I just don't see that much difference between it and several good 9mm loads).

Oddly enough, while most folks find the Federal 125 to hit 1400+ out of a 4" revolver, two boxes I purchased recently ran a good bit under 1300 in my 4" 66 which is rather tight and usually gives good vel.

OTOH the Winchester 127 +P+ clocks just over 1300 from my Browning P-35.

To make a long story short.... no I don't see any difference except that I can deliver from 7 to 8 shots per second accurately with the browning and 4-5 with the magnum (on a good day ;)).

Back to the Sig, you know if you blew that case out straight and put in a 165 to 180 gr. bullet you might just have something there

Press on,
Jim

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
A couple of years ago someone was selling Federal Classic 140 JHP in 20 round boxes really cheap.

I bought a couple for testing. They clocked 1370 in my 4" 66 and 1330 in my 3" M-13.

I have no excuse for not following up and buying every box that distributor had!
:(" title=":mad:" border="0"/>

I was amazed when I purchased a couple of fresh boxes of Federal 125 jhps and they dribbled out of the barrel at less than 1300 fps. The various 110 gr loads are even worse.

I am not sure that there is any method to this madness but it goes to show one cannot assume anything...a chronograph is a vital tool.

Press on,
Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.