Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. A common topic is which of the two is the best. I've made it no secret that between .380, 9x18mm Mak, and .38 Special, I prefer the latter for "serious" purposes.

Which do you prefer and why?

Between the snub and the .380 auto, which would you prefer as a BUG?

Thanks in advance.

Best.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Good evening sir,

.38 for me, since I have a good selection of them and the only .380 I have isn't much good beyond spitting distance.

Back when I had a PPK and was somewhat practiced with it, I might have gone the other way.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Stephen,

Some days I carry the S&W 642 and some days the Kel Tec 2nd generation P3-AT. I shoot both well and it doesn't matter to me much which I am carrying.

Chris

·
Registered
198 Posts
BUG means you've not only seen the elephant, it's fixin' to stomp you. That close, the absolute surety of fire coupled with more power, plus being generally easier to draw from a pocket or even shot from it...wheelgun this time wins hands down.

·
Registered
720 Posts
With the new Titanium ultra-light snubs available now, and good +p JHP ammo, the 38special is for me. (The only 380 here is my wife's bedside pistol, a Bersa Thunder 380 that she likes, too big and clunky for CCW.)
og......been there, done that!

·
Registered
192 Posts
.380 easier to shoot and more shots

A .380 is my always gun and sometimes my only gun. When I do carry 2 guns, the BUG is the .380, the primary is a Makarov 9x18, for now anyway.

Colt Pony Pocketlite .380, dehorned with stippled frontstrap, 90 gr. Federal Hydra-Shock.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It's not a choice in the poll, but for the same size package as the Taurus 38 snub I used to have, I now have a Kel-Tec, P-11, 9mm luger.

Of the two choices though, I'd rather have the 38.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello,

I voted .38 Special, more powerful.

Take Care,
The Sockman

G

·
.38 special. between a 5-6 shot .38 and a 6-7 shot .380, my choice has generally been the .38 spl. My reasoning is that in a low velocity cartrige like that, I want a softer projectiile which will expand reliably (in my cas a 158 gr LWCHP). I know of no .380 round which approaches this in power.

I have never understood the reasoning behind a high capacity .380, most are equivelent in size to a mid sized 9mm pistol.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Mr. Camp,

I feel coherent arguments can be made for either. A quality 380 in single action mode is easier for me to hit with than the S&W 442, but the 158 grain +P LHP probably does deliver more on the receiving end (assuming the shot hits its intended target). At the end of the day, as you have pointed out elsewhere, shot placement is probably more likely to be the key. Good topic!

G

·
I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a snubbie. Never had a snubbie that shot to point of aim. The cylinder always dug into my hip and was very uncomfortable when carrying concealed.

I voted 380

ZM

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I don't see my backup gun there, so here goes.

I don't carry a "backup" gun. What I do is have a primary, on-my-person gun, "backed up" with a vehicle gun. The logic I use is that if I'm legally seat belted into my vehicle, drawing a J frame S&W from my front pocket is next to impossible. Thus, I have a second gun close at hand, usually a semi auto, usually a 9mm with at least two full capacity reloads, and as often as not it's a BHP.

I do not carry a long gun with me as a rule. If I have enough time to get to a long gun in my vehicle and get it into action, I also have plenty of time to get myself out of danger.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Leland,

There's great logic in your thinking, I try to carry my Kel Tec in my front pocket, but transfer it to the arm rest console when I am driving. You definately can't get a pocket gun into play when you are driving with your seat belt on.

Long gun in the truck is a "steal me" where I live. I've unsuccessfully tried to conceal it in the truck (extended cab) with limited results.

Chris

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Chris, I decided on this type of "backup" because of experience, so logic really had little to do with the situation. Several years ago while I was leaving New Orleans at about three in the morning, someone tried to run me off the road on I-10. Considering how fast things happened, I managed to react really, really well, which in the end probably saved the guy's life, or maybe even mine. He tried to sideswipe me on the interstate, and my reaction time was better than he expected. I managed to keep from being hit, but while doing some emergency driving, I also managed to fill my right hand with a fully loaded Beretta M92. I never could have done that with a gun in my pocket, and I doubt that I could have reacted as effectively even with an OWB holster. When he realized that his chance to hit me was blown, he accelerated and headed off into the night, which was fine by me. If we'd had to stop, I was already armed and in Condition Red, rapidly approaching Black.

A friend of mine was kidnapped and robbed in that area a year or so before, so I might have been more than a little bit paranoid, but in any event nobody got hurt, and I made it home just fine.

So now I keep a gun in my vehicle, independent of my position in the seat or how I'm carrying my primary gun.

·
Registered
180 Posts
.38 spl - I just figure if it has gotton to the point of "back-up gun" then you want to make sure when you pull the trigger it goes boom! then boom again when you pull the trigger again. Figure the revolver fits the bill here.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I don't pack a BUG(I'd have to pack a primary first). But I've been considering buying something to use as a BUG(for when I do start to carry). My choices have been narrowed down to, Kel-Tec P32, Smith & Wesson Chiefs Special in .38, Taurus Titanium .38, and a Colt Agent/DS/Cobra in .38. I've got a friend with one of each in the revolvers, and I may try them all out just to see.

I guess you could say, that judging from my narrowed choices, my preference would probably be for the .38 Special snubbie.

-Rob

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Mr. Camp,

I voted "more reliable." Are they? Can't really say. But I have trouble trusting anything smaller than a mid-size autoloader. I can't bring myself to rely on the mini-autos yet, no matter how good they may be.

I also want the option of being able to press the barrel against an aggressor without safeties engaging, as well.

Josh <><

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello, Josh. Overall, I think they are but I've run into some mighty reliable smaller guns...like the Bersa .380ACP.

Still, I cast my lot with the more penetrating (with selected loads) .38 Special and practice frequently with my 24/7 Model 642.

Best.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts