Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, for the last couple decades, I've been primarily a semi-auto fan, except for the revolver I was required to carry for duty (until they converted to autos). Long story short, the other day I took out the revolver I learned on as a kid, which my father left to me. It's been in a safe for the last 30 years and I hadn't shot it until a couple weeks ago. It's a S&W Combat Masterpiece, 5-screw frame, in wonderful condition. I have the original purchase receipt also - $50 brand new in 1954 from a local sport shop which is no longer in existence. Wow. What a pleasure to shoot! Last weekend I spent some time loading some wadcutters and it's going back to the range with me this week! Just thought I'd share that. I imagine there are others here that enjoy plinking with "the old ones" also...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It is my opinion that revolvers are more "fun" to shoot, but I like to shoot the bottom feeders as well. I hate chasing brass. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
The revolver. I enjoy shooting the revolver as much if not more than the auto loader. It is much harder to master well in the double action mode. But once mastered far more fun and capable a weapon. I work with the revolver at 50 feet for target shooting and at closer ranges for speed and accuracy. Both in double action. The guns I use are the S&W-67 S&W-10 in 38 cal and the S&W-686 in mild 357 cal. Keep shooting, the art of double action is a great joy.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Rogerho,

Count me as a big fan of the Model 15. If you've got a digital camera, why not post a picture of yours? It sounds like a great specimen.

·
Registered
73 Posts
rogerho-started out late with revolvers, only about 6 years ago. It was a M15 4 incher, but beat up finish. Looking back, really wished i'd started with revolvers and DA pull. While still working on DA pull, it has increased my accuracy with all styles of trigger pulls.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. I have a soft spot for revolvers as well. I cannot say that I prefer them for everything, but I darned sure enjoy shooting them. My primary "house gun" is normally a revolver these days.

Best.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Nothing beats a wheelgun in terms of simplicity and ease of operation and I often recommend it as a beginner's handgun for novice and occasional shooters.

Though I currently own only two wheelguns, a Ruger Single Six and a Colt Peacekeeper, they are a pleasure to shoot and I am getting lazier when it comes to chasing spent brass!

Although I consider a snub nose revolver as an "expert's" pistol for medium range shooting, I have introduced many to the sport of handgunning with the revolver.

I marvel at the evolution of the new Smith and Wesson and Tauraus Revolvers with the super light weight alloys and new designs. Sometimes they just don't appear as sturdy as the revolvers of past.

Chris

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have little doubt that the heavy duty semi auto pistol is more efficient for fighting and a higher degree of skill can be attained more rapidly by the astute student.

Trouble is, I just like wheelguns (there a few autos I like as well).

I really like wheel guns for hunting and from time to time I will carry one as a backup gun (my "hideout" has been a J-frame now for well over 3 decades).

Having started out as a .357 magnum fan and afficinado I also started my handgun hunting career with one. During that experience it someone lost its allure to me as a cartridge but I still like the guns that are chambered for it and in fact was just hunting deer with a 6" Python in order to test a couple of bullets (where I am hunting I must take a doe before I go for the big buck).

So count me in, "My name is Jim and I have been a revolver-holic for...."

Gotta run,
Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's been my experience, including a two year stint as president and chief instructor of my college gun club where I trained well over 100 newcomers, that it's easier to train someone to safely handle a DA wheelgun with good "combat" accuracy than any automatic. As an example, not long ago I trained a co-worker in the methods described by Applegate and Fairbairn. In less than 100 rounds she was able to consistently keep 6/6 from a 4" Ruger .38 in a B-29's scoring rings from a low ready position at 20 feet. Most were in the 8-ring or better. With a selfloader I would have used the same amount of time just to get her loading, unloading and working the gun safely without any useful shooting practice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As it happens I do have a good pic of this revolver at home. Tonight I'll see if I can figure out how to post the picture here....

I took it to the range again yesterday with a new load - 148gr wadcutters, 3.2gr of Win 231 at 800 fps. Wow, very consistent and tight groups!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, here's my first shot at posting a pic. This is the 5-screw S&W I'm talking about, bought by my Dad in 1954, brand new for $50, and I have the receipt! The stocks are Hogues - a little nicer to shoot with than the factory stocks. I've just re-discovered that this thing is a really, really nice shooter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agree. I fixed my son up with a pristine M15, a matching M18, and a utility Ruger Service-Six. Everything you need and nothing you don't.

My daughter likes her Glock 19 but picked up a used M10 3" recently; something of an epiphany for her. Just wait till she sees her birthday present: Grandpas pristine 1972 vintage M60 with smooth trigger and Tyler grip adapter.

My daughter-in-law is just getting started and learned on an old kit gun. She now has her very own 3" SP-101...

And my wife has had the same dehorned M37 for 27 years.

We do have some autochokers around but revolvers r us.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Rogerho,

Wow, that is a real beautiful revolver. Thanks for posting the picture! My guess is that you will never part with it for sentimental reasons, but if you ever decide to, you've got at least one buyer who will not haggle over price!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Roger,
Very nice revolver, I like the family guns with history the best.

I started out with revolvers myself and only about ten years ago did I start with the autoloaders. Now I have several of those and like them very much.

But, a few years ago I started with the wheelguns again and once again they're my favored handgun. I've bought a few N-frames and love shooting them the best both single and double action.
Last week I replaced the Colt Detective Special I sold ten years ago and it'll become my new carry gun after getting refamilar with it.
I've always liked snubbies and think they might be the next type to acquire. The M-19 in 2 1/2 inch will be one of the first.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Roger,

That is a sweet looking S&W there. Blue steel & wood just feels right. Here is a Detective Special I bought used a few years ago, with some cherrywood Fitz grips.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. Correct in assuming I'd never be able to part with this one - way too much family history! Out of total curiosity, does anyone have an idea what the K38 is worth? I have no idea at all.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Roger,

I don't know the precise value for your specimen, but any of the "blue book" type guides available at any gun store, large book store (or sometimes even Wal-Mart these days) should give you a pretty good idea for insurance purposes.

Keep it clean and pass it on yourself someday; the sentimental value is everything.

PGM

·
Registered
46 Posts
I absolutely love shooting my Model 10s, but hate cleaning them as they are a PITA compared to autos. I am peculuiar about my guns being clean. I still can't help but to shoot them, though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You might appreciate a little survey I took at the best gun shop in Michigan( I think.......)best prices anyway-I shop a lot.Long story short ---after asking each salesmen in the store privatley what they personally carry for protection--without any desention it was a wheel gun.How about that. They pretty much all agreed they wanted to be sure, if needed they wanted no hang ups and be sure (100%)their weapon would fire.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts