Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after not having a 1 7/8" J-frame for about a year (thinking that my Kahr P9 Covert could replace it for pocket carry), I bought another of the RSR DAO 37-2s from a friend.

This one is used, of course, and came with the Spegel stocks. A friend from handgunplace.com is graciously hooking me up with some factory S&W wood stocks (I've decided that I actually prefer them), but these will do for the meantime.

The gun is pictured with my customized 36-1 (serrations removed from trigger face, chambers chamfered, action job, partial hammer-bob, gold bead in front sight), another fine carry gun.

I'm carrying them both right now with my version of the FBI Load (those are 147-gr +P+ Hydra-Shoks in the 'loaders and strips): a Hornady 158-gr LSWC over Unique. It's good for about 920 fps out of the 3" - I'll have to see how it does in the 1 7/8" gun (now that Chrony has sent me my repaired chronograph - it went Tango-Uniform for no reason about three weeks ago).

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello, Erich. Looks like "Ya done good", as we say in Texas. For many years I toted a bobbed Model 37 as a BUG in police service and I believe that the RSR Model 37's are good little snubs and personally prefer them to new S&W's as they do not have the lock. I have but one and it has functioned perfectly. If anyone is interested in a lightweight J-frame and happens to run across one of these, I'd suggest buying it. "Get while the gettin' is good" so to speak.

Best.

·
Registered
399 Posts
A fine looking pair Erich for sure. Just testing them over your cronograph would have to be a good day in any shooters book. Good luck with them both.

Best Baldy..

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, gents! :)

I will endeavor to have the good sense to hand on to this one! ;) (Though the Spegel stocks, pretty as they are, are going to go . . . .)

G

·
Erich,

If you want to part with those Spegel stocks, I may be interested. I have some Eagle SS stocks that I may want to offer in trade if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to a friend on handgunplace forums, I've now got some nice factory wood stocks to replace the Spegels. Fits a lot better in my hand. (Thanks anyway, norfdet. :) )

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
A friend of mine's kid got one of those 37s, but he let go of it in a trade before offering it to me. :)

I love the way yours looks with the S&W stocks. That's a seriously serious looking little wheelgun.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! :) I appreciate the sentiment all the more since it's coming from you!

It's light as a feather, too!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mr Erich I am with you on the stocks. I carried a M-37 for about 10yrs and saw no reason to change the stocks as they fit me perfect. That is one revolver I wished I never traded. Good luck.

Best Baldy..

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Nice J-frame. I'm curious: RSR M-37? Please explain "RSR"?
Does it tote easier in certain trouser pockets than the Kahr?

My third Uncle Mike's pocket holster started to abrade/degrade but I replaced it with one of the Robt. Mika holsters recommended by Leland Ray and others on this forum. I'm very happy with the upgrade: works even better that the former holster with no tendency to sort of flop over inside the pocket toward the butt end. Just the thing for my 638 bodyguard airweight.

--d.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Baldy (I may be challenging you for the title here soon!
)

Dave, my Mika holster has shipped and should be here tomorrow. I can't wait. ;) "RSR" is a distributor (like Lew Horton) which appears to have commissioned a special run of no-lock 37s that were DAO back in 2005. :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Erich,

Another nice find sir. We are looking forward to your range report when you get the chance to "dance with your lovely lady".

Enjoy it sir.

twoguns

·
Registered
645 Posts
Very nice Erich, appreciate the post and especially the photo's, you done real good my friend. Please give us a range report.

papabear

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here you go, amigo!

Well, it turns out that those little stocks are not nearly as comfortable as the big ones shooting the FBI Load!
They're good for carry, though.

I took the gun out today, and ran it over my (newly fixed) chronograph. (Range was at 63

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My gunsmith friend is dubious about the fixability, and thinks they might just issue me a gun-with-a-lock. S&W's guy says, "We'll take care of it," and is issuing me a return label. :-/

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Erich,

Sorry sir. Hopefully they will be able to fix the problem for you as is. I know you and I and others, feel the same about our pre-locks.

Please let us know how things are resolved for you. Good luck, and I am keeping my fingers crossed for you sir.

twoguns

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I just saw this. Very nice revolvers!
I was not aware of the RSR 37s until now (thanks, I think).
I had one of the 3" HB M36s for a while too. Mine was a SB. That was one nice shooting gun.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Erich,

My dear friend, did you get your revolver off to S&W? I am anxious to hear what the outcome of there work is and it's been about a week and a couple of days.

When I sent mine back (M-65), I was like an expectant father waiting for it to come back.

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Chris,

I got it back this week (they apparently whacked the barrel with a lead hammer until it shot straight) and just got back from the range. It works great.

I ran some of my custom DEWC defensive load through it, and . . . well, I know what I'll be carrying:

(Albuquerque city range, 5950 feet above sea level, c. 70

1 - 20 of 25 Posts