Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with these?
I've seen them before, and a co-worker recently brought it to my attention.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I've always read good things about the Tanfoglio pistols (they make the frame of this CZ clone), and they seem to hold up in real life - check out the recent thread about Gil's Tanfoglio/EAA Witness. The IMI polygonally "rifled" barrels on the models you ask of add velocity compared to those guns' CZ-clone cousins, but the extended dust cover adds weight. The triggers on the ones I've tried in the stores seem fine. I've never understood why the Baby Eagles/Jerichos are not more popular.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Poor marketing.

A few years back, when an anime called Cowboy Bebop, wherein the protagonist uses a Jericho 941 chambered in .41 AE, first aired on American TV, they sold a lot more of them than usual for a short while, and most of the people who bought them were very happy with them.

Then, the show's popularity died off, and so did the gun's.

If they'd market them, they'd sell them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny you mention Cowboy BeBop. Shortly after I posted I was channel-surfing, and came across the intro to this cartoon. Jazz music, lots of action and a few flashes of the Jericho. I'd seen it before, but never realized what handgun it was until last night.

I'd like to find one to examine before I buy anything.

ETA- Erich, Gil's is the Witness "P" Compect, correct? Id seen the full-size 9mm Witness "P" in CDNN for $249, and was wondering about the quality of the poly frame. Is it on par with, say, a Glock frame, better or worse?
I dont know if there are different "grades" of polymer.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Hi Travis,

You're correct on the model. Different kinds of plastic in the Witness and the Glock. The Tanfoglio is a bit stiffer and reminds me of fiberglass rifle stocks. Glocks have that vaguely bendy but tough Glock plastic. It's difficult to say whether they're on par, since a Glock's predominant advantage lies in its function and durability, and Gil's witness has only had a couple hundred rounds through it. The Witness polymer arrived very nicely finished (much nicer than the frame on the Kahr I just bought - lots of flash and mold-stems on that still) and seemed to be of respectable quality. There are photos over on the Gil's New Witness thread, but I haven't even examined the gun since Gil fired it.

I tried to watch the movie Cowboy Bebop after I heard that Whedon's Firefly/Serenity was based on it. I noted the Jericho right away, but lost interest in the movie because I didn't know the characters. Thought I might check out some of the TV episodes on DVD first, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

cheers, erich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely a great show. It's similar to Firefly, in that you'll have to watch at least a half-dozen episodes or so before they'll pick up all the characters, and at least five or six more before everyone's personality and backstory start to get really well developed.

It's only 26 episodes long, but the DVDs can be a bit expensive. If you can't afford the whole show, then get the first, second, third and sixth DVDs, as they have all the most important episodes to the story.

Watch for the following, throughout the series:

Jericho 941
Walther P99
Glock 30
Walther PPK/s
H&K USP
Ruger P89
Browning Hi-Power

Every single one of these guns is drawn well enough to be easily identifiable. This anime definitely had at least one or two gun people on the production staff -- even the manufacturers' roll-marks are clearly readable, in some scenes!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Thanks! I was just going to get the DVDs through a Netflix-like arrangement I have with a local videostore - I'm not big on purchasing stuff like that.

I'll try to give it another shot sometime when my wife's out of town (she gets annoyed at me watching too much sci-fi at our only TV - right in the middle of the living room, just as I get annoyed at her watching too many awards shows and rap videos ::) ).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Award Shows and Rap videos? ::)

I had the same problem. I've tried watching Cowboy Bebop, and for the life of me I just don't get it. I think I'll need to find the whole series, or sit down and watch 10 episodes.

My son is 7, and loves the anime stuff they show on Cartoon Network. Its lighter than Cowboy Bebop and the other "adult swim" animes.

For good news, we found out tonight how much our tax return will be. The wife and I each by ourselves something with the return, rather than taking it out of our planned family budget and savings thru the year. Kind of like a "Thanks for your hard work, here's a bonus" sort of deal.
The really good news is that I should be able to get whichever handgun I decide on. And a holster. And some ammo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It wouldn't surprise me if this is the last year we get one. I greatly upgraded my employment situation near the end of 2004, and up to March of 2005 my wife was in nursing school. She started working in April of 2005 after she sat for board testing, so she only worked a little over half of 2005.
If she gets scheduled hours for the first half of this year like she has been, I doubt we'll get a return next year. If we do, the only reason we do will be having 2 kids.

Back on topic, does anyone know of any distributors that carry the Jericho?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Baby Eagle (which IS the Jehrico - the pistol is marked 'Made in Israel' and the grips are marked I.M.I) are fairly common around Atlanta and, unfortunately, have gotten quite pricey over the last year or so. Right now a 9mm version will cost you more than a comparable CZ 75! I understand the frames and slides are made in Italy by Tanfoglio and the pistols are assembled and finished in Israel by IMI.

That said, I have the 'mid sized' .45ACP and it is a remarkable pistol. This version has the barrel with polygonal rifling and it is the most accurate .45 I own. Superb ergonomics, above average accuracy, high capacity (10 rounds in the double-stack magazine). I love it! I only wish Wolff would make an 'extra power' recoil spring set for this baby.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, they've worked the Bugs out of the .45, huh? They had problems, early on, with the .45 versions not feeding properly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd like to find a Jericho, but they seem to be few and far between around here- and just as you said, a bit more than a CZ75.

The CDNN catalog I recieved the other day still has EAA Witness Polymers for $249. I'd like a full size, but I feel I'd be just as well served by a compact.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I ordered one of the EAA Polymer PC Compacts from
Cdnn, It comes with a couple of cleaning brushes and
a plastic blow molded box and a small lock.
This gun is very tight and has nice machine work for the money and it feels very good in my hands. The only trouble Ive had is locating Mags My PC Model is considered a new style poly frame so they don't use
the same mags as the old style poly guns.
If you decide to get the Witness and you need mags just
call EAA with the Ser# to be sure to get the right Mags 1-800-536-4442 ext. 10
Hope this helps.
Gil...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gil's compact polymer Witness is one of the best new gun values I've ever seen.

http://handgunsandammo.proboards36.com/index.cgi?board=Discussion&action=display&thread=1138585285
I've seen the thread, and to say the quality represented in a gun at such a low price point has impressed me is putting it lightly.

I spoke to my brother the other night. He lives about 100 miles away, in a more populous area of the state, having far more gun shops selling "personal defense" firearms (mostly deer rifles and turkey shotguns in this area).
He told me he has handled the Baby Eagle at several shops, and is on good speaking terms with many shop owners in his area. He's going to call around this week, and see if anyone has/can get the BE I'd like to find.

At this point, its pretty much between the BE and the Witness-P. I really like the full-length dust cover on the BE. It makes the gun look "strong", i guess. I understand that the Witness is essentially the same thing, and If I cant find the BE when I have cash-in-hand, I'm taking my CDNN catalog and going to a local FFL here. He recieved my 1911 frame a couple years ago, my AR last year, and told me he can do the paperwork and recieve anything for $10. Hard to beat a deal like that.

Gil-
That witness is very nice. How does it shoot? In the event I cant find the BE I want (I've got a bad feeling I wont- I've heard they are discontinued/no longer imported, etc) I'm likely going to get the full-size version of that pistol.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hello Travism1

So far I'm Happy with the Witness performance Ive only
been able to shoot about 150 rds through it, Very easy
to keep 4 inch groups at 15 yards while standing. The 3 dot sights make it easy to recover after each shot.
I'm gonna try and shoot again next week now that Ive
got the Mag. issue resolved they should be in this week. I cant say what the full size version is like. Hopefully the one you decide on is as nice as mine.
Gil...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts