Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was 7 years old, and still remember it like it was yesterday. We were visiting my Great Aunt Ethel, and everytime we would go there, she would get or give me something, and remembering her husbands little .22 Revolver from a preveious visit, when she asked what I wanted this time, I said Doug's .22, and to my surprize she said, Doug go get that little .22 for him, Doug & Ethel were pistol poor, so he did'nt really mind at all, plus it was a cheap gun. Doug soon returned to the room and handed me the revolver... I'll also never forget the look on my StepDads face when it was time to go, and Ethel said besure not to forget your gun... he did'nt know yet because he was'nt there the night before, but he did'nt care either, because, he likes guns just as much as all of us, and had already started teaching me how to shoot at age 5.

What about all of you, when did you get your first handgun?

Thanks & Take Care,

G

·
Bought my first one when I was 21, legal age to get it. Since then I've always had atleast one around. I've also managed to hook a friend or two on them...

Steelheart

G

·
My first handgun was a 2" Colt Detective Special with nickel finish. Gaudy as all get-out but man would that little sixgun shoot. My older brother gave it to me on my 17th birthday and it was "officially" transferred on my 21st.

·
Registered
192 Posts

Bought an old 2" S&W Model 10 pin barrel square butt .38 that had never been fired. Sights were dead on at 25 yds. Sold it to my brother when I thought the hole in the end of the barrel wasn't big enough anymore. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts

Dad bought me a Ruger Super Single Six convertable (.22lr or .22 mag).

I lost it in a stupid trade when I was 18.

At 20 I got my permit (figured at 18 I was a bit too young, so I waited and practiced), saved up money, and Dad and I went to the gun store. I told them to pull out every used autoloader that was DA/SA, ambi, in at least .380 but preferably 9mm or larger. I proceeded to drive everyone crazy by shooting nearly all of them.

I wound up buying my Taurus 92 with the lefty DeSantis holster thrown in for $350 or so. Dad signed for it and I began carrying it. Everything was practically new (the holster still squeeked
).

I've had it since, while other handguns have come and gone.

But, I will not ever forget the Ruger Single Six. I've thought since of buying another, but it wouldn't be the same.

Josh <><

G

·
My father had several revolvers that I shot growing up. During the summer between my sophomore and junior years in high school I bought a FIE Texas Ranger .22lr/.22mag copy of the Ruger Single Six. It was and still is a piece of junk.

A few years later I bought the real thing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was 17 when I got my first handgun, a Ruger MKII .22 auto with the 5 1/2 " barrell. I taught myself to shoot with it and still have it today. At that time you could apply for a pistol permit when you were 16 provided your parents would write a letter of permission. However, you could not buy a handgun till you were 21, so I convinced my mother to get her permit so that she could buy the handguns. She had no interest in guns but was happy to indulge my interest.

Shawn

G

·
I bought my Colt Commander when I was 18 from my Uncle. Bought my S&W 642LS when I was 21 (earlier this year).

First handgun I ever shot was a friend of my grandfather's 1911A1, I was 8. It was at that time that I knew one day I would have a 1911 of my own :)

Anthony

G

·
My Dad signed for my 6" S&W 686 .357 when I was 13. Would've preferred a 4" barrel and square butt, but its been a great shooter. For the first 3 or 4 years I fired .357s exclusively, mostly Remington's 125 gr. "High Velocity."

Prior to that, I shot his Ruger P89DC and Mark II Target, and Mom's 4" S&W M&P. I preferred the circa 1915 Smith to the chunky Ruger.

G

·
My first handgun was a High Standard "Sports King" 5" barrel and i carried it with pride till i was issued my model 12 S&W when i joined the MPD. My first real gun was my P91 purchase which i still have...

G

·
16. Read a copy of Jeff Cooper's "Fighting Handguns" and decided that I wanted a Colt gold Cup .45 which then cost $125. Started saving money in a coffee can. My folks noticed I was serious and convinced me that perhaps I would be wiser to go for a .22 instead--less initial cost and affordable ammo.

So off we went to the adjoining state where we found a slightly used Ruger .22 auto for $25; forked over the cash and took it home. I regret to say that I sold it a couple of years later to help finance a nice black powder Colt SAA (which I *do* still have).

Years later I picked up a used and abused Ruger .22 like the first one and rehabilitated it.

Some times you *can* go home again.

G

·
At 20, my dad gave me as a gifth an used m1911 .45 acp he recived from a friend who owe him money.

I wish I still had it.

Manny

·
Registered
99 Posts
I didn't get a pistol of my own until I was of legal age and could afford to buy it myself. Shotguns/rifles were another story.

But I'd learned pistol shooting on my stepfather's High Standard Sport King and loved it. When I turned 21, I put a Browning Buckmark Plus on lay-away on my meager earnings as a college student/part time cook in a hot-wings restaurant.

I still have it. It is sort of retired as it did a looong spell as my only pistol. Can't part with that one.

I would love to inherit the Sport King, but that's not going to happen.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My Dad started me out at 5 sitting in his lap and shooting a 22 S&W. by the time I was 10, I had the run of the farm with the same revolver and was told to take care of my sisters,,,

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was 17. I bought a Izara .32 auto (Spanish made Colt 1903 clone) from a friend just before moving to another another state to go to school. It was a nice comfort to have a pistol with me in my travels but I look back on it now and think about the trouble I could have gotten into. 1: I was under 18 and in possession of a handgun and 2: Thinking that .32 ball ammo would do much for me in a pinch.

Doc

G

·
I got to shoot it when I was only 4 years old, and I got to carry it hunting when I was 9. However, Dad didn't give me his H&R 923 .22 9-shot revolver, till I was 16.

G

·
I bought my first gun at 14.
My mother was totally against guns so I kepted it at a freinds house. It was a Raven 25. Ammo was 87 cents/50. He moved away while I was in Germany. Never saw him or it again!
I have owned over thirty five Ravens and have half a dozen at any given time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts