Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up at a pawn shop today. It was made in Argentina by FM (I presume), imported by Armscorp. The only non-import markings on it are the serial numbers and "F.N. Browning" on the slide. From what I gather, this was made when FM was operating under license and supervision from FN.

It doesn't appear to have been shot much, if at all. Internally, very little of the paint/epoxy finish is worn. Slide to frame, and barrel to slide fits are very tight. It actually has a pretty decent trigger pull, better than I recall my Browning version having prior to gunsmithing. The magazine doesn't have much of a wear spot from the mag disconnect either.

This is probably going to be a "truck gun", where it won't be a major financial loss if stolen. For what the pawn shop charged, it's almost a no-lose situation.

In a little brighter lighting:

·
Regulator,
2,353 Posts
Hey deercop,

Not to mind your business or anything, but if that is a real FN Browning Argie in such nice condition, you might want to check on its value and reconsider using it for a truck gun. From what a lot of the more knowledgable BHP guys around here have said, I think that gun might be worth more than your usual truck gun. I'm sure it is worth a lot more than the FM 90's being sold now. You might have more of a jewel than you think. Beg pardon for sticking big nose in your affairs. FWIW.

Jerry

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No offense taken at all! If anyone has any more information about the specifics of my gun, please share.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Can't help you with the specifics but I did used to own one just like that. Real good shooter but I didn't like the tiny sights and safety. I foolishly traded it off. I'd buy another in heartbeat. I think I paid around 3 for mine. It wasn't in as nice shape as yours.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. It is an Argentine-manufactured Hi Power. I have not owned an FM Hi Power so I have no long-term experiences or observations but will say that were I to run across one "right", I'd likely buy it. The ones I've seen didn't have quite the finish of most FN's I've seen (though I did own one Mk II that appeared to have been finished with a wood rasp), but all that I have seen and shot over the years functioned, grouped nicely and were reliable, at least with ball. If they were picky with JHP's, it was no more so than with the Belgian-made classic Hi Powers and the problem was just as easily solved. On guns like the one shown, parts interchange and I for one appreciate that Argentina saw fit to get FN's blessing to make a licensed copy of the Hi Power.

I hope that your pistol serves you well for decades to come.

Best.

·
Registered
528 Posts
first, you have to understand what deercop considers a truck gun.

he has a custom from Ron Phillips and I believe one Don Williams worked over, so...

one man's truck gun is another mans...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Am I correct in my assumption that my FM is relatively equal quality-wise to a FN stamped gun? Obviously the finish is "military grade" on mine, but otherwise?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Some would say yes and others would say no. I offer that since it was made using FN tooling by factory workers originally trained by FN technicians that, while not as finely finished, it is essentially the equivalent of an FN military contract BHP.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Not to get off topic,but Burg's comment & deadman's regarding truck gun ("TRUCK GUN?) just makes me speculate about just what make/model/equipment truck would be truly suitable for this piece.
Sorry, just couldn't resist
G>M>F>

·
Registered
502 Posts
With wide white strip white-wall tires --just like we used to love in the 50's (but you probably don't know what I'm talking about)
were we talking about BHP's--I forget. Regards, G>M>F>

·
Registered
188 Posts
MR. Deercop i am with MR. Burgs new sights remove mag safety new( thumb safety C/S) and you are all set and shoot .
TK

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Deercop:
I bought one of the same type FM90 Argentine and liked it so much that I bought another one. I added an ambi safety and called it good! I shot 1911's and carried Berettas until just recently and this is the pistol that converted me to HP's. I carry mine just about everywhere I go. I bought off gunbroker for $275 and it was brand new and still had what looked like cosmoline on it. I bought a second one and it not in anywhere near the cosmetic condition the first oine is but it shoots just as well. Both guns have received a 18.5 lb Wolff spring upgrade and coupled with the ambi safeties that is about all I'm going to change. Mine came with three dots sights that I have not had any trouble with at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, I've been lurking around for a couple weeks and I finally decided to jump into a handgun. I decided a while back that I liked the Browning Hi-Power, so I jumped on this Argentine Hi-Power when I ended up doing some work for a gunsmith. We horse traded a bit, but the retail price he would have charged was $350 (I got it for less).

Anyways, here are some pictures of the gun. I would put it in good condition and I looks pretty good when cleaned and polished up.

Can you guys help me identify this gun? I know it's an Argentine Hi-Power, but are there specific dates, models, and subtypes? Markings read "FM Hi-Power / Industria Argentina / Model M90 / Cal. 9x19mm / C.A.I. Georgia, UT / SN: 340808"

I had some problems the first day I took it to the range. The gun jammed repeatedly. It seemed like every jam was caused by the spent casing not being ejected/pulled from the barrel in the chamber. I would have to release tension on the slide, pop out the mag, and then use a spent casing to pull the unejected casing out of the chamber. If I were to fire 10 shots it would probably jam 3 times.

I'm wondering if this is all due to the ammunition I was using. It was only what a local market had... PMC 9mm Luger 115 grain FMJ. I think 50 rounds cost about $12-$14. When the gun shoots it's very enjoyable, but obviously this is a deal breaker if it's an actual gun problem. I'm going to look for some more expensive loads and see if that makes a difference, but I want to be realistic that maybe there is a problem with this gun since it is pretty old.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mefesto, it sounds like you may have a weak extractor spring. Shortly after I got my Hi-Power Detective it started jamming on shells that didn't eject. I could actually push the extractor in with my finger so I replaced the extractor spring. Problem solved. I definitely wouldn't shelve or sell the gun if I were you, at least before you take a look at that spring. These guns are amazing and the spring is really cheap and takes less than half an hour to replace.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
"FM Hi-Power / Industria Argentina / Model M90 / Cal. 9x19mm"

That kind of says it all.
Before I replaced the extractor or spring, I would do a 110% cleaning of the area under and around the extractor and its channel. Use a good spray cleaner and manipulate the extractor while spraying. Also check the edge of the extractor for any breakage. Give the chamber a good scrubbing also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Excellent info gents, I really appreciate it.

How about the ammo I was using? Is that super cheap stuff, wrong grain, etc?

I've grown up with guns all my life but never owned one until now (I know, but better late than never). The input is very appreciated! Thank you!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts